Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How I Became An Atheist
How I Became An Atheist
This is my deconversion story... duh.

Up until I was about 11, I was a baptized Catholic. I would only go to church on Easter and I didn't really understand the church's doctrines. One day, at a hotel, I opened up one of the drawers and found a bible. I kid you not, I read the first 2 pages of genesis, and I completely became an atheist. I could not fathom the stupidity of those first pages. I had so many questions. Where do fossils fit into the genesis account? Why is there incest? A talking snake? Etc. etc. etc.

I still held on to my spirituality (I had a spirit, ghosts, etc.), and that took a while to fade away. I would also pray before going to sleep EXTREMELY rarely, when I was feeling lost. I became a complete atheist at 13 and never changed my stances since then.
RE: How I Became An Atheist
Well done for seeing the nonsense for what it is, despite your upbringing. Are you openly and atheist to you family and friends, or are you still working up to it?
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(August 18, 2015 at 7:57 pm)Iroscato Wrote: Well done for seeing the nonsense for what it is, despite your upbringing. Are you openly and atheist to you family and friends, or are you still working up to it?
I have "deconverted" many of my friends and relatives, however I have not come out to my dad because he is catholic.
(August 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm)Shuffle Wrote: ...I didn't really understand the church's doctrines.
Then you cannot honestly say that you understood what you rejected.
(August 18, 2015 at 8:22 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: Then you cannot honestly say that you understood what you rejected.

I don't understand the Twilight Saga but I know it's not real.
(August 18, 2015 at 8:22 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(August 18, 2015 at 7:54 pm)Shuffle Wrote: ...I didn't really understand the church's doctrines.
I understood it when I read the bible for the first time... did you even read my full post?
Don't waste your time Shuff.
Their arguments have no fail state...
YOU obviously didn't read it "hard" enough or with an "open heart"!!!! hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Nice work my friend Smile

I like to imagine my own story would have been similar, had I been indoctrinated. The bible is a fucking joke and it's a testament to the fact people aren't actually reading it that there are still so many Christians.

It's like trying to make excuses for your 5 year old when they start talking about how the earth came out from under their pillow one day.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 18, 2015 at 8:22 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
Do you understand the Quran?
At least you got out at a young age. It didn't happen for me until well into my young adult life. I guess it's better than still being there as a middle-aged or elderly man, but all these "I got out when I was a kid" stories make me feel embarrassed.

Better late than never, I suppose.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I Left Islam And Became An Atheist mota 9 6747 May 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: viocjit
  How I Became an Atheist hockeymonk 5 2586 March 3, 2013 at 12:55 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  How I became atheist Doubting Thomas 9 5286 April 19, 2011 at 6:37 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  How I became a non-believer SleepingDemon 7 2714 April 18, 2010 at 4:22 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  How i became an atheist Nicky 9 3405 October 31, 2009 at 8:53 pm