Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 2:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late night rant
Late night rant
So I kind of need to get some thoughts out there and I guess this is an okay place to put them. Emotional rant ahead so feel free to skip.

I moved out to Montana a little over a year ago and I've had a rather rough time emotionally. I have an anxiety disorder and it turns into some really intense depression episodes. I have a hard time making friends because of it and because I'm just an atypical person in general. I know it's pathetic for someone in their mid-twenties to complain about having no friends, but it's contributed to my anxiety and depression to the point I went on medical leave over the summer. My friends back home and my internet friends will talk to me but its not really the same as having someone in real life there for you.

A few of my colleagues are in a church group. It's a more progressive group I guess you could say and they invite me to their nonreligious gatherings often. They are really nice people but it's hard for me to really click with them because I don't have much in common. So whenever I go to their get togethers I always leave feeling so jealous. They are all just such good friends to each other and are actually concerned about each other. They call each other and keep up with each other's lives. I wish I could have even just one friend who would treat me like that. Hell, I haven't had a friend hug me since before I moved out here. I spend my free time at home alone and just drinking and watching movies. Some days I don't even speak to a single person and my pets are the only socializing I get. I've tried going out to make friends but it never works out. A few days ago I thought I made friends with a guy and we swapped numbers, but I'm pretty sure he thinks I'm just trying to flirt with him.

I've always felt like a freak and I know my low self esteem is contributing to me not being able to make friends. I've tried therapy, pills, meditation, and all kinds of things. Nothing has worked and I'm afraid my loneliness is going to drive me to drop out of grad school. I'm in a depressed funk right now and I really wish someone would hug me.
RE: Late night rant
Grad school can be like that - hang in there and here's an intercontinental hug Smile

Getting to be part of an existing group can be hard and take time. Try to show an interest im their lives and see whether you think it is reciprocal. In what ways do you think you differ from others?
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About last night (A Haiku) no one 2 549 March 18, 2023 at 8:58 am
Last Post: no one
  What Were You Dreaming About Last Night? Disagreeable 17 1587 February 2, 2022 at 11:51 am
Last Post: no one
  Last night my 10-year old daughter said that she did not believe in God. Jehanne 22 2035 December 26, 2021 at 5:37 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  It' s never too late to start onlinebiker 2 398 October 18, 2021 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Spooky
  For the scond night in a row...... Brian37 9 685 May 2, 2021 at 6:47 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Did anyone else attend HumanLight zoom meeting last night? Apollo 8 1041 December 25, 2020 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: Apollo
  Mid-late 2000's internet was the best time for the web. Mechaghostman2 6 800 June 14, 2020 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  sorry for the late notice Drich 26 1810 May 12, 2019 at 2:35 am
Last Post: WolfsChild
  Hanging out at a friends house last night. Brian37 45 4545 November 26, 2018 at 9:44 am
Last Post: Cod
  Self entitled meaningless rant. Brian37 4 745 October 22, 2018 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: Angrboda