Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 7:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illegal fee?
Illegal fee?
In Finland we have a national broadcasting company called Yleisradio OY or YLE. The government owns about 99,98% of it and it is funded mostly through a television fee which is mandatory for people who have a receiver that allows them to watch TV channels. Yleisradio broadcasts several TV and radio channels. The positive aspect is the fact that the YLE TV channels for example have no ads because of the fee.

I have been wondering if the fee is illegal based on the facts that we have freedom of religion and conscience yet the national TV and radio channels broadcast Christian church services. So if you own equipment that allows you to watch TV channels, you're forced to fund the proselytizing of a religion you don't belong to. I'd say that this is a pretty clear breach of the civil rights of people who are not Christians, but then again I'm not a lawyer.

I've been thinking about sending an email about this to various freethinker and atheist organizations in Finland, but I'd like to be sure there is a case to start with. What's your opinion?
"Heresy is only another word for freedom of thought." - Graham Greene
"So forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here today." - Lawrence Krauss
RE: Illegal fee?
There's a similar debate with the BBC in the UK. There's a daily service and thought for the day on Radio 4 which is predominantly Christian. Here's an example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/articl...iever.html

Quote:Richard Dawkins is entitled to his point of view that religious people do not have the monopoly on ethics. As a religious person, I should agree with him.

But I would agree more with anyone who said that they did not want a preacher, religious or otherwise, telling them what to think before eight o'clock in the morning.

A well-known Victorian clergyman, Hawker of Morwenstow, was once visited by a stranger in his remote Cornish parish. And because Hawker was also a famous poet at the time, the stranger kept badgering him with questions about his views on life.

Eventually, Hawker took the stranger to a window and showed him the cliffs and the sea. 'Those are my views,' said Hawker. 'My opinions I keep to myself.'

If only the BBC followed his advice.
RE: Illegal fee?
In our country we have the same system. But here all religions can get equal time, but it depends on the ratings how much each actually get. So we have Islamic programs, Catholic. Reformed, and even the Humanist Society (Humanistich Verbond) has a program. So in that sense as long as you make the threshold you get airtime.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is it illegal to have multiple spouses? FrustratedFool 65 4213 September 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Illegal! chimp3 25 1697 April 11, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Illegal Immigration Lek 183 14587 February 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Illegal Immigrants RoadRunner79 149 19071 June 27, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Illegal Immigration Lek 8 1467 January 16, 2017 at 1:59 am
  "Hoodies should be illegal", sez party of "small government". Ryantology 17 5134 January 19, 2015 at 12:42 pm
  Make stupidity illegal bladevalant546 20 3523 August 28, 2014 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Solving Illegal Immigration: Labor Unions in Latin America! CristW 27 5885 July 26, 2014 at 8:14 am
Last Post: CristW
  illegal aliens Manowar 28 5174 July 5, 2014 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Losty
  atheism to be illegal in the E. U. nintendo048 44 9632 March 8, 2014 at 4:58 pm
Last Post: nintendo048