Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:37 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Hoodies should be illegal", sez party of "small government".
"Hoodies should be illegal", sez party of "small government".
The government belongs in your hooded sweatshirt.

Crime is a problem. Here is what passes as a solution for the GOP.
RE: "Hoodies should be illegal", sez party of "small government".
Quote:A. To wear a mask, hood or covering, which conceals the
identity of the wearer during the commission of a crime or for the
purpose of coercion, intimidation or harassment; or
B. To intentionally conceal his or her identity in a public
place by means of a robe, mask, or other disguise.
I may be misinterpreting different meanings of American Law but doesn't the law simply say you cannot conceal your identity and face in public - Something that is common procedure by definition, the latest example being France banning the burqa?

I find it funny that they say it's illegal to wear something while doing something illegal
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

I heard about this. And I found this hysterical. Come over to the campus and you'll see a couple thousand orange or black hoodies. And since hoodies=crime clearly a major public university is a hotbed of violence and crime.

Oh wait, it's not.
(January 3, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Blackout Wrote: I may be misinterpreting different meanings of American Law but doesn't the law simply say you cannot conceal your identity and face in public - Something that is common procedure by definition, the latest example being France banning the burqa?

I find it funny that they say it's illegal to wear something while doing something illegal

I am not sure, myself, what the rules are on that.

But, a party which actually holds as a principle that government is too intrusive and interfering should fight for the right to conceal one's self in public, should it not?
(January 3, 2015 at 10:42 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote:
(January 3, 2015 at 10:34 pm)Blackout Wrote: I may be misinterpreting different meanings of American Law but doesn't the law simply say you cannot conceal your identity and face in public - Something that is common procedure by definition, the latest example being France banning the burqa?

But, a party which actually holds as a principle that government is too intrusive and interfering should fight for the right to conceal one's self in public, should it not?

Didn't members in AF already point out the obvious flaws of American conservatives by emphasizing the fact that they are always available to sacrifice personal freedoms in detriment of security? (I think it has to do with the CIA, NSA, military invasions and so on)
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

The bill linked would make it illegal to:

Quote:To wear a mask, hood or covering, which conceals the identity of the wearer during the commission of a crime or for the
purpose of coercion, intimidation or harassment

Note that for wearing a hood to be a crime it must conceal the identity of the wearer AND be wore during the commission of a crime, or for the purpose of coercion, intimidation, or harassment.

Something like that has been on the books in Oklahoma since the 1920s when it was aimed at the KKK. A number of states have such laws.

The second part of the bill, which really is new, makes it illegal more generally for a person

Quote:To intentionally conceal his or her identity in a public
place by means of a robe, mask, or other disguise.

Hoods are not included in this second more general clause.

The bill then lists a number of exceptions including: Halloween pranks by children, masquerade parties, parades, protection from the weather, religious gear, medical gear, sporting groups, and plays.

It appears wearing your superman outfit to work might be a crime, but wearing a hoodie wouldn't be.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(January 3, 2015 at 10:42 pm)Ryantology (╯°◊°)╯︵ ══╬ Wrote: But, a party which actually holds as a principle that government is too intrusive and interfering

Stop. In actuality, they do not. On paper, they do. In practice, they don't.
Nothing like making an already illegal act (crime) more illegal (with more charges!).

Who is it targeted at? I'll warrant it is the poor, who have nothing to protect except their identity.

The rich can easily hire a high powered lawyer and easily beat the rap.

Once again, we see the stupid person solution to things in life turns out to be stupid.
Slave to the Patriarchy no more

Hey be serious. This is the party of the vaginal ultrasound. Government is only intrusive when it levies taxes or wants to ban guns.
Anything else these nazis want is simply good public policy.

Small Government is just a line at this point. It sells with some voters but I haven't seen the Republican party live up to that line in my lifetime.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why superpower countries do not overthrow Islamic government of Iran? Anti.Enslave 18 256 April 23, 2024 at 4:57 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Why is it illegal to have multiple spouses? FrustratedFool 65 4239 September 23, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Should I stay or should I go? POLITICAL op/ed Brian37 53 6915 August 26, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Republican Party Purge Foxaèr 11 751 April 15, 2021 at 11:27 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Founding fathers view of government Won2blv 38 2445 March 21, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Republican Representative compares his party's fight to Imperial Japanese Soldiers Rev. Rye 2 281 November 24, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The greatest FU to the government this 4th of July Foxaèr 10 1256 June 15, 2020 at 8:35 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  UK general election - right wing Conservative party wins large majority Duty 30 1514 December 16, 2019 at 6:12 am
Last Post: Duty
  Illegal! chimp3 25 1713 April 11, 2019 at 11:17 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Illegal Immigration Lek 183 14597 February 15, 2019 at 3:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger