Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheists, Do You Hope You are Right?
Atheists, Do You Hope You are Right?
On another thread, I posed this question to those who call themselves atheists: “Do you hope you are right?*” There were a couple of interesting responses, which I want to share and properly attribute as follows:

(October 13, 2015 at 10:36 pm)Kitan Wrote: I know that I am right.
(October 13, 2015 at 10:43 pm)Beccs Wrote: Pascal, is that you?
(October 13, 2015 at 10:46 pm)Simon Moon Wrote: Right about what? That theists have not been able to meet their burden of proof? On that point, I am right.
(October 13, 2015 at 10:53 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: The question doesn't exactly keep me awake at night.
(October 14, 2015 at 2:42 am)Losty Wrote: I personally don't care if I'm right.
(October 14, 2015 at 11:13 am)houseofcantor Wrote: The advantage of evidence based reasoning, no hope necessary.  Tongue

I think it is fair to summarize the responses as 1) I know I’m right, 2) I don’t care, 3) no reason to think I’m wrong, 4 ) not if it’s your god, and 5) which god am I supposedly wrong about anyway?

“I know I’m right.” – Maybe the rest of you could explain to those who say they know they are right that you cannot prove a negative, atheism is just the lack of belief, etc. etc.

”I don’t care.” – For the truly agnostic atheist I suppose this is a legitimate response, but it sounds disingenuous coming from people who discuss and dismiss religious claims. At the very least, former believers reject the doctrines of their previous faith. That rejection shows that they care just a little.

”I have no reason to think I’m wrong?” – Sure. This person says he is willing to believe in god if presented with sufficient evidence or satisfactory proofs. But this reply doesn’t really answer the question. If you are open to the possibility that you are wrong, then do you hope that you are?

”I hope so if it’s your god.” & ”Which god am I supposed to be wrong about?” -  These kinds of replies skirt the challenge. The question intentionally does not specify any particular god concept. The former reply is really just a dig at whatever god the posting member wants to mock. The later is a dodge. Pick what you consider to be the least objectionable god.

*I cannot take credit for the question. I heard it while listening to Dennis Prager on the radio and I found it thought provoking and worthy of presenting on AF.
RE: Atheists, Do You Hope You are Right?
Wrong about what? I'm not making any claims.

Wrong in that I don't think there is a god?
Well, I find it unlikely enough not to lose sleep over it. Do you hope you're right about the world not ending tomorrow, Chad? Do you hope you're right about Islam not being correct?
Chad, why did you cut the rest of my response to that question?

You do know that quote mining is a dishonest practice, right?
Dying to live, living to die.
(October 14, 2015 at 4:36 pm)Beccs Wrote: Chad, why did you cut the rest of my response to that question?

Sorry, I thought only that part relevant. You seemed to object on the basis of the question's lack of specificity. Am I wrong?
Chad Wooters, hello, nice to meet you.  We all think we're right, don't you think?  I'm wondering

[Image: 35095F62-4B88-435A-A08C-D89E4076E434.jpg]

Matthew 12:3, Mark 2:25, Luke 6:3

1 Samuel 20-22 (the story), Psalms 52 (david's contemplation)...it's a long story, I know

*I cannot take credit for the question. I read it in 3 separate books in the Bible and I found it thought provoking and worthy of presenting on AF.
Why would they. Luckily I Know I'm right.
"For the only way to eternal glory is a life lived in service of our Lord, FSM; Verily it is FSM who is the perfect being the name higher than all names, king of all kings and will bestow upon us all, one day, The great reclaiming"  -The Prophet Boiardi-

Conservative trigger warning.
[Image: s-l640.jpg]

"Do you hope you're right?" = "Are you afraid you could be wrong?"

No. To both.
"I was thirsty for everything, but blood wasn't my style" - Live, "Voodoo Lady"
(October 14, 2015 at 4:39 pm)ChadWooters Wrote:
(October 14, 2015 at 4:36 pm)Beccs Wrote: Chad, why did you cut the rest of my response to that question?

Sorry, I thought only that part relevant. You seemed to object on the basis of the question's lack of specificity. Am I wrong?

No, the actual answer to the question I gave seems somehow relevant, hmmm?
Dying to live, living to die.
Yeah, I hope I'm right. I like the idea of being recycled and never being separated from this world and my loved ones. I like the idea of my loved ones never leaving the world I'm in. I like the idea of being made from a previous star, and further back, the energy released 13.5 billion years ago. I like the idea that we share a commonality with non-living things in that we both "strive" for stability, never mind that we were most likely born from a reaction between non-living things.

Furthermore, I'm not a fan of any alternatives morally.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
What are we supposed to hope we're right about, again?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The soft toys parents hope connect kids to their faith zebo-the-fat 13 1254 October 31, 2021 at 3:50 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Right of freedom of religion should not be a human right Macoleco 19 1561 May 26, 2021 at 1:10 am
Last Post: Belacqua
  "Don't take away people's hope" Brian37 96 9506 August 8, 2019 at 7:20 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  You guys are right. Mystic 54 8123 February 5, 2018 at 10:30 am
Last Post: haig
  An omniscient, non-decietful entity tells you what the right 'belief' is... Cecelia 4 2494 September 18, 2015 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  No, You Silly Twat....Oliver Got It Exactly Right Minimalist 7 3442 August 20, 2015 at 1:28 pm
Last Post: NoFaith2Burn4
  Religion vs. Disbelief: No Hope. Why bother? LivingNumbers6.626 11 2931 December 10, 2014 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  We Can Hope He's Right.... Minimalist 14 2248 November 5, 2014 at 1:20 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  If atheists treated Christians like many Christians treat atheists... StealthySkeptic 24 11031 August 25, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: Darkstar
  Why get offended when you know you're right? Vegamo 22 4898 January 15, 2014 at 9:21 am
Last Post: Bad Writer