Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huge GOP meeting with Evangelicals in TX
Huge GOP meeting with Evangelicals in TX
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-candidat...-in-texas/

On CBS news.  Cruz, Carson, Santorum, Huckabee, Bush, & Fiorina just tried to woo an enormous crowd of Evangelicals in Plano, TX.
The battle cry I heard on NPR was "we must take back our country!"  

American Atheists may brush this off as a small group of crazies, but Pew Research has the number of American Evangelical Protestants as 25% of the population.  That's a dangerous political group, folks.  Yes, Atheist/Unaffiliated is the fastest growing "religious" group in the county (yes!!!) at 22% - - but we're a bunch of loners.  We aren't organized.  We don't meet every week to rant and rave about our (actually and truthfully) persecuted state and to discuss elections.

Do rallies like the one in Plano give anyone else the willies?  I was raised by these folks, people.  This movement literally gives me goosebumps. This is group insanity in action.  They are committed to their delusions in a very frightening way.  These people pray for a theocracy every week.  For a while, they were content to coast, secure that they were the dominant religion and that Jeebus was coming back to take over the USA very soon.  But now they are losing power, and they are scared.  Now they want to take control.  They are dangerous.

What does everyone think?  Do atheists need to be more political?  Do we need to push back against this movement that truly wants their religion to take over the government?  If so, how do we do it?
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
RE: Huge GOP meeting with Evangelicals in TX
I suspect we're in for four years of crazy, whether we like it or not.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
Yes groups like that give me the willies, and the heebee jeebees too, but so did The Moral Majority, and various other groups. Whether atheists should be more politically active as a group is a complicated question though. Part of what drives extremism is the feeling of being under attack. And I don't want to drive even more extremism. What we are seeing a rise is extreme Christianity because Christianity is on it's way out. But if they actually took control of the country, it could be catastrophic---a sort of American Marxism or Nazism. Dangerous as hell. McCarthyism comes to mind.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(October 19, 2015 at 12:43 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I suspect we're in for four years of crazy, whether we like it or not.

I agree.  I can't come up with a candidate republican or democrat that I like. And they all lack real experience.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
I live in the Bible Belt.  That sounds absolutely horrifying.  Westboro is only a short drive from my house.
BUT - - if it would take only four short years of Evangelicals calling the shots for the rest of the population to rise up in protest - - it might be worth it.   Still, I'm going to call somebody to help me build a bunker TODAY.
"The family that prays together...is brainwashing their children."- Albert Einstein
As a Deist it scares the fuck out of me that fucking morons like Mike CuntI'llBe appeal to fucking dipshit evangelicals who think this is a "CHRISTIAN NATION". They want a fucking theocracy, so long as it's their fucking religion.

"Take our Country Back!"

How about going and starting your own fucking country. There you can deny gay people the right to get married, black people the right to vote, and have religious laws. Just so long as the rest of us don't have to fucking live there. Might I suggest Antarctica? You can have President Huckabee, Vice President Jeb, Dictator Trump, Pope Santorum, and leave the rest of us the fuck alone.
(October 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I live in the Bible Belt.  That sounds absolutely horrifying.  Westboro is only a short drive from my house.
BUT - - if it would take only four short years of Evangelicals calling the shots for the rest of the population to rise up in protest - - it might be worth it.   Still, I'm going to call somebody to help me build a bunker TODAY.

Should the shooting start, we'll put you up in the Northwest for a bit.
(October 19, 2015 at 12:54 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(October 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: I live in the Bible Belt.  That sounds absolutely horrifying.  Westboro is only a short drive from my house.

Should the shooting start, we'll put you up in the Northwest for a bit.

Thank JennyA!! The Northwest is known to be relatively sane - and beautiful!
(October 19, 2015 at 1:02 pm)drfuzzy Wrote:
(October 19, 2015 at 12:54 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Should the shooting start, we'll put you up in the Northwest for a bit.

Thank JennyA!! The Northwest is known to be relatively sane - and beautiful!

It is.  And we have a spare bedroom.
No matter how rabid a return America to Jesus government would be, they'd never outlaw any of their special privileges like remarriage after divorce, linsey woolsey duds, letting menstruating women anywhere near a church (and goes double for any woman that might want to say something in a church), or changing the week around so they go back to honoring the Sabbath.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Absurd GOP Foxaèr 2098 130063 April 21, 2024 at 10:12 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  2024 GOP hopeful Vivek Ramaswamy proposes raising voting age to 25 LinuxGal 11 1025 August 20, 2023 at 2:39 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Yet Another GOP Dumpster Fire Of A Human Being BrianSoddingBoru4 139 10034 July 23, 2022 at 4:20 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  So what is GOP's plan for the new wave of newborns? Fake Messiah 43 2856 June 30, 2022 at 9:11 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  GOP's stranglehold on Cuban-American's vote. Brian37 19 1482 August 22, 2021 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  What do you think all these GOP senators get in return for brown nosing Trump? A Godzilla fan 15 1654 September 30, 2019 at 11:52 am
Last Post: A Godzilla fan
  The GOP, wtf happened? A Godzilla fan 6 1128 July 21, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2531 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  GOP Jesus Minimalist 1 565 November 13, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Okay GOP, now is your time to shine and show how much you really love America GODZILLA 25 3073 July 17, 2018 at 9:22 pm
Last Post: Minimalist