Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 11:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum theists: when you have a moment, please...
Forum theists: when you have a moment, please...
Am I only one who thinks it would be great to see more threads started by some of the established theists on these forums? 

I'm not trying to be snooty or discourage theists that have recently joined from participating, but there has been a massive influx of new members starting threads that are just insane.

It would be nice to see more conversations started by theists who know what they're talking about and happen to be familiar with the rules of engagement. 

Just a thought.
RE: Forum theists: when you have a moment, please...
What topics would you most like to discuss? Unless of course you think I'm insane.
Insane ones still get the juices flowing.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(October 20, 2015 at 8:30 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: What topics would you most like to discuss? Unless of course you think I'm insane.

What about a topic on why god is good despite doing bad stuff
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
(October 20, 2015 at 8:54 pm)dyresand Wrote: What about a topic on why god is good despite doing bad stuff

I would truly love to hear an explanation for this that isn't "mysterious ways," "gawd's inscrutable plan" or "he made us, he can do what he wants."

That seems to be the only ammo the theists have. Too bad they're the equivalent of loading up blanks.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(October 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:
(October 20, 2015 at 8:54 pm)dyresand Wrote: What about a topic on why god is good despite doing bad stuff

I would truly love to hear an explanation for this that isn't "mysterious ways," "gawd's inscrutable plan" or "he made us, he can do what he wants."

That seems to be the only ammo the theists have. Too bad they're the equivalent of loading up blanks.

Actually, the typical theistic apologist argument is that god is a parent and must punish humankind for disobeying him, considering that we are his children and children must obey their parents. Also, a secondary argument is that god is far beyond our understanding and that we must trust his intentions and actions as good because we are mere lowly creatures.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
As a preacher's kid both of these usually end in "mysterious ways" at some point in my history so I too would enjoy hearing something else
When   you   understand  why   you   dismiss   all   the   other   possible   gods,   you  will understand why I dismiss yours. ~Stephen Roberts~
I've not started many threads and the ones I have, haven't been for a lot of comments. The reason I do not start threads that will be conversation pieces is because most atheist here do not want to have intelligent conversation about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit or the Bible, instead they want to insult and derail such conversations. I find most atheist do not know enough about the Bible to have those kinds of conversations, this is not intended as demeaning, it's just fact. They rely on Google or whatever to get as little info as they can to make comments. Using a verse or two for these kinds of conversations is inappropriate for these types of conversations. They also use what others say as fact whether they get it from the forum or the net, they do not know enough about scriptures to form their own opinions, believe me I've tried to get original ideas from them. Again I'm not saying any of this as demeaning, it's what I've observed over the last five years. So I would rather join in on threads where I find interest.

GC
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.
What GC is basically stating is that he has observed nothing in the past five years, because goodness knows most, if not all, of the atheists here have read the bible at least once and have a far better grasp of reading comprehension than theists.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(October 20, 2015 at 9:15 pm)SnakeOilWarrior Wrote:

I've had discussion on this. One thread where I discussed this was the following: http://atheistforums.org/thread-32598.html

There is other threads in which I opened regarding this while a Deist, but the thread I just linked to has more of an Islamic perspective.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Theists: how do you account for psychopaths? robvalue 288 39982 March 5, 2021 at 6:37 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Theists: What do you mean when you say that God is 'perfect'? Angrboda 103 17039 March 5, 2021 at 6:35 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Reading the bible: please help! ignoramus 71 14831 October 8, 2018 at 1:52 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Theists, please describe how you experience your god I_am_not_mafia 161 16736 June 15, 2018 at 9:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dark matter kicks ass again. Please watch. ignoramus 3 923 June 4, 2018 at 11:29 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  If there was a 1st moment in time. Mystic 41 5586 May 5, 2018 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Please describe your god's loyalty reward scheme. I_am_not_mafia 101 24903 November 23, 2017 at 9:23 am
Last Post: Cod
  Theists, Who would You Rather Have as a Neighbor Rhondazvous 23 7773 November 10, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Should Theists have the burden of proof at the police and court? Vast Vision 16 5227 July 10, 2017 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Jesster
  Our theists of all labels please answer.... Brian37 92 12247 April 25, 2017 at 11:33 am
Last Post: Brian37