Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vain, or Humble?
Vain, or Humble?
So I have an interesting question for you fellow Atheists,

Do you think that the religious people who claim to speak to god, or have a relationship with god are Vain, or Humble?

Since we, as Atheists, and basically any other religious person, believe anyone claiming to "talk to god" or if you're religious, anyone claiming to talk to the god that is not yours;

we believe these people are basically just talking to a voice in their head, and nothing else.

Therefore, is it vain for them to praise god? Since they are technically praising themselves?

Or is it Humble, because they are showing a low estimate of their own self importance, and are praising what they think is someone besides themselves that is important enough to be worth praising?
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Vain, or Humble?
I think they are egotistical shitheads.
Self deluded sprang to mind first.

For sect/schism/denom administrators that can not pass a polygraph exam evaluating their sincerity of belief, criminal would be the word.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

I don't know about people who talk to god.

What I do believe is extremely vain/egotistical is when someone believes the world is going to end during their lifetime. Everyone who has ever believed this and died has been proven wrong. So, a person who really thinks the world is going to end during their lifetime either thinks 1) they are smarter than those people who died before, or 2) that they have new information that people before didn't have, which really turns into (1) because it then follows that they know how much information is necessary to not be mistaken. People aren't just happy being one of the chosen few in god's club, they actually think they're special enough to be one of the ones that gets to see the earth at it's worst, who gets to be there right at the end and see jesus or god or something in person. Self-aggrandizing dumbasses.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
(October 22, 2015 at 11:28 pm)TRJF Wrote: I don't know about people who talk to god.

What I do believe is extremely vain/egotistical is when someone believes the world is going to end during their lifetime.  Everyone who has ever believed this and died has been proven wrong. So, a person who really thinks the world is going to end during their lifetime either thinks 1) they are smarter than those people who died before, or 2) that they have new information that people before didn't have, which really turns into (1) because it then follows that they know how much information is necessary to not be mistaken. People aren't just happy being one of the chosen few in god's club, they actually think they're special enough to be one of the ones that gets to see the earth at it's worst, who gets to be there right at the end and see jesus or god or something in person. Self-aggrandizing dumbasses.
I'm just going to let someone else reply to you since i cant really be bothered proving claims as idiotic as the ones you just made wrong.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
??? To what, praytell, do you refer?
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
It's Orwellian corruption of language, altering the meaning of words and by doing so changing how people think.

WAR IS PEACE, FREEDOM IS SLAVERY, IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH, ARROGANCE IS HUMBLE, SEXLESSNESS IS PURITY, POVERTY IS WEALTH, OBEDIENCE IS MORALITY
Read "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. There is a literal evolutionary reason god claims exist, having nothing to do with any real god existing. Our species perceptions of reality are notoriously flawed. God claims are no different than the butterfly in the inkblot.
Vain, pretending to be humble.

At the very least, they are acknowledging how special they are to get particularly good treatment.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
It seems the more devout someone is, the less humble they are, because they're less likely to be able to just live and let live.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  taking the lord's name in vain drfuzzy 55 7719 February 14, 2016 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: ignoramus