Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:59 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changeable skins on the forums
Changeable skins on the forums
In my opinion I think a skin for this forum(as in what's around the forum, like the background) should be made, and it should be blank, or something like that.

Here's why:

A younger person, or mayber just a person living with their parents, might not want to be seen on something called "Atheist Forums". If your parent walks over and looks at them on the computer, it says "Atheist Forums" in multiple places, and big large letters at the top. I think that to accommodate for new Atheists, younger ones, who want a place to speak freely, it's imperative to give them a way to in a sense "conceal" the forums for them, so they don't have to worry about this.

Even though my parents are accepting of my Atheism, they are both Christians, and personally I really hate when my Dad will walk in the room and see in giant bold letters "Atheist Forums". There needs to be a way to browse the forums without being worried of others stopping by and spying on what you're doing, and in some cases, creating conflict that wasn't necessary. Young, new, Free-thinkers and Atheists simply want a place to share their thoughts. They should be allowed to share their thoughts freely, without having to worry about something like this.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Changeable skins on the forums
(October 24, 2015 at 8:39 pm)heatiosrs Wrote: A younger person, or mayber just a person living with their parents, might not want to be seen on something called "Atheist Forums". If your parent walks over and looks at them on the computer, it says "Atheist Forums" in multiple places, and big large letters at the top. I think that to accommodate for new Atheists, younger ones, who want a place to speak freely, it's imperative to give them a way to in a sense "conceal" the forums for them, so they don't have to worry about this.

On the user profile these is a setting you can enable called 'stealth mode' that will change 'Atheist Forums' to 'PC Forums'. At least, that is what it allegedly does. I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually work, and hasn't for quite some time.
John Adams Wrote:The Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.
That hasn't worked for years.
(October 24, 2015 at 8:53 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: That hasn't worked for years.
Well it shouldn't be hard to get it working again, and it doesn't change the content of the suggestion.

It's still an issue. My parents don't really care, and even i'm uncomfortable when they see me on here. I can only imagine what someone who's parents do really care would feel like.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
Why does it no longer work? I don't need it myself. But were I 40 years younger and living at home. . . Or living in the Middle East.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
You can switch to mobile mode, that gets rid of most of the styling (alongside half of the UI).

And depending on your browser you can use addons (like web-develop in FF) or a greasemonkey script to get rid of the site name completely.

Besides, if it's at least a teen, they should be proficient at hiding certain windows already. Tongue
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(October 24, 2015 at 8:58 pm)Jenny A Wrote: Why does it no longer work?  I don't need it myself.  But were I 40 years younger and living at home. . .  Or living in the Middle East.

I couldn't say. Tiberius knows I'm sure.
Then it's time to look for a sacrifice for the prayer session to all-powerful Tiberius
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

We're gonna need a virgin.

Shit.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I nominate OP.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My experiences with internet forums Mariosep 151 34080 June 24, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheist Forums Must Change Cinjin 47 8499 January 30, 2016 at 8:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
Thumbs Up Kudos for such Great forums!! Orchids 24 6122 September 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Know any other atheist forums? -z- 57 21043 January 1, 2014 at 10:35 pm
Last Post: Snidely Whiplash
  Dear Atheist Forums thesummerqueen 127 58774 October 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: BloodyHeretic
  Christian forums? BloodyHeretic 6 3176 October 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Phaedra
  Mark all forums "read" StewartP 6 5546 September 5, 2008 at 6:14 am
Last Post: Tiberius