Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 6:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Know any other atheist forums?
Know any other atheist forums?
I'm new to this forum, so this may seem a bit brash. After several hours of perusing threads here, I can only say I'm disappointed by the majority of the content. Maybe I'm missing something, but I had hoped for more.

What I am looking for is a forum where people actually discuss atheism and religion in an intelligent, respectful way. I see precious little of that here. The threads regarding religion that I've sampled quickly degenerate into senseless name-calling and posts that reveal a staggering lack of scientific literacy and consideration for people with differing views.

The forum rules state that this site is for friendly discussion and debate, and that flaming is discouraged. Those ideals do not seem to be upheld in practice. I don't expect the rules to be followed to the letter in every post, but from what I've seen go unchallenged I suggest the rules here should be changed to better reflect the culture of the forum.

No one is forcing me to be here, and my stay may be brief. If what I've seen so far is what members here want to do, that's ok. I'm just curious if anyone here knows of a site where I might find what I'm looking for.
RE: Know any other atheist forums?
How about smugnewbieshouldthinkbeforeheposts.com?
(December 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Z-one Wrote: What I am looking for is a forum where people actually discuss atheism and religion in an intelligent, respectful way.

What is there to discuss, really? "You don't believe in god and neither do I" does not make for good conversation.

Quote:I see precious little of that here. The threads regarding religion that I've sampled quickly degenerate into senseless name-calling and posts that reveal a staggering lack of scientific literacy and consideration for people with differing views.

You've joined at an unfortunate time, but this is forum life, things are constantly changing.

Quote:No one is forcing me to be here, and my stay may be brief. If what I've seen so far is what members here want to do, that's ok. I'm just curious if anyone here knows of a site where I might find what I'm looking for.

You might want to try AF.com, TTA or (Loki forbid) A+. Googling other forums should not be that hard Wink

Good luck in your endeavor, and welcome back, if you ever feel like it.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Re: Know any other atheist forums?
If you don't like it here, you can always fuck off.

Oh, and this isn't fucking Google. Find another forum yourself you whiny cunt.
Considering that many people come from other atheist forums into this one and find this more friendly... I think you'll have a hard time elsewhere... but I have never been a member of any other atheist forum, so take my comment with as much salt as you can find. Wink

This holiday season things seem to have been... weird around here... maybe they'll improve after the most depressing day off the year - 19th January.

As for the religious threads... It depends on how well we know the theist in particular... New guys usually get a break and a thorough explanation of science... guys that have gotten those explanations, sometimes more than once, end up mocked for the learning disability that they brazenly display.
From what I've seen you'll either find more of the same or a highly restrictive climate hovered over by shrill, politically correct moderators. If you are truly a tolerant atheist (as it says in your "Religious Views") then I for one would value your participation. But if you're here to shame others into acting as you would have them act, I wish you the best of luck finding a site more to your liking.
(December 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Z-one Wrote: I'm new to this forum, so this may seem a bit brash. After several hours of perusing threads here, I can only say I'm disappointed by the majority of the content. Maybe I'm missing something, but I had hoped for more.

What I am looking for is a forum where people actually discuss atheism and religion in an intelligent, respectful way. I see precious little of that here. The threads regarding religion that I've sampled quickly degenerate into senseless name-calling and posts that reveal a staggering lack of scientific literacy and consideration for people with differing views.

The forum rules state that this site is for friendly discussion and debate, and that flaming is discouraged. Those ideals do not seem to be upheld in practice. I don't expect the rules to be followed to the letter in every post, but from what I've seen go unchallenged I suggest the rules here should be changed to better reflect the culture of the forum.

No one is forcing me to be here, and my stay may be brief. If what I've seen so far is what members here want to do, that's ok. I'm just curious if anyone here knows of a site where I might find what I'm looking for.

So you want to have a friendly non-aggressive conversation about religion and politics? Good luck finding that anywhere on the planet. Secondly, you're whining about the confrontational nature of the 1800+ members of these forums and yet introduce yourself with a TOTALLY confrontational thread and add insult to injury by asking for the location of another atheistic forum. You should try Google for the obvious question and you should try Christianity to find a home for your glaring hypocrisy.

Go sell self-righteous somewhere else.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Quote:but I have never been a member of any other atheist forum

I have and they are all the same because theists are all the same.....spouting absurdities and insisting they are true because they read them in some stupid holy book.
(December 30, 2013 at 6:02 pm)Z-one Wrote: I'm new to this forum, so this may seem a bit brash. After several hours of perusing threads here, I can only say I'm disappointed by the majority of the content. Maybe I'm missing something, but I had hoped for more.

Kayenneh pretty much nailed it. You joined at a weird, unpleasant time that seems to be testing the mettle of many on here.

To answer your question, I am also a member of AF.com, but find that I am getting along with people easier over here, but of course, YMMV. There are good people over there, and elsewhere. I also am a member of a couple of Facebook groups: Atheists of Oklahoma and Rebecca Vitsmun - Atheist Hero.

Just Google a bunch of search strings related to atheist message boards.
"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring." - Carl Sagan
Considering we're still within the realm of the internet, there are crazies everywhere. Of course there will be people who think: fuck this, this guy needs to know how crazy he sounds. There are also those who think that reasonable discussion can change their minds. But everyone should have a go at their strategy, no? If it's too much for you then just move on. No need to suggest that an entire forum is somehow inadequate because it doesn't limit speech as much as you'd like it to.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is the “what you know today that you didn’t know yesterday” thread closed? Anomalocaris 2 555 August 9, 2023 at 9:46 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Is slack a private social club and other issues my sorry ass has landed itself in Angrboda 89 11339 April 22, 2023 at 10:47 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  My experiences with internet forums Mariosep 151 33803 June 24, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: brewer
  How do I quote other posts? Bunburryist 5 1674 August 14, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: wiploc
  Atheist Forums Must Change Cinjin 47 8410 January 30, 2016 at 8:06 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Changeable skins on the forums Heat 34 5312 October 26, 2015 at 1:15 am
Last Post: Darkstar
Thumbs Up Kudos for such Great forums!! Orchids 24 6100 September 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Losty
  Blueberry muffins and birthdays and other such things. Losty 13 4254 May 16, 2015 at 4:15 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Dear Atheist Forums thesummerqueen 127 58240 October 21, 2011 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: BloodyHeretic
  Christian forums? BloodyHeretic 6 3172 October 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Phaedra