Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 3, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thoughts on Helloween?
Thoughts on Helloween?
What are your thoughts on celebrating Halloween ( or the devil's birthday as folks at my church call it.)?

Isn't it sort of dangerous for children to be celebrating it?

It just seems like sort of a useless holiday IMO. It promotes gluttony and being a burden upon other people ( walking up like a homeless begger to people's homes demanding candy?! Really?)

If that wasn't bad enough the holiday also encourages "tricks" such as tee-peeing peoples homes, lighting bags of dog shit on people steps and egging houses.

It also encourages youngsters to dress up like demons and viscious monsters. Why would anyone encourage that?

If you look at the history though, it makes sense that Halloween is such an awful holiday. Of all the main American holidays (Christmas, Valentines day, Christmas, Easter) Halloween is the only one with no Christian basis. BTW Thanksgiving does have a Christian basis, because it involved Christians giving thanks to the lord for the food they received from the natives.

Helloween on the other hand is purely a pagan holiday from before Jesus. It was invented by dumb savages who mostly spoke in babble rather than an intelligent language. It involved worshipping demons and shaking down people for treats. Samhain I believe it was called.
It really shows what a difference Christianity makes right?
RE: Thoughts on Helloween?
You don't even troll right ._.
(October 31, 2015 at 10:39 am)TrueChristian Wrote: Helloween on the other hand is purely a pagan holiday from before Jesus. It was invented by dumb savages who mostly spoke in babble rather than an intelligent language. It involved worshipping demons and shaking down people for treats. Samhain I believe it was called.

A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(October 31, 2015 at 10:39 am)TrueChristian Wrote: ...lighting bags of dog shit on people steps and egging houses.

Oops... your troll mask slipped down there for a sec...
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
My family just ignores it.   Our church has an alternative "fall festival", but most in my circle don't participate, as that would be too close of an association, our book says, come out from among them, and be ye separate. (Is 52:11, 2Co 6:17) if you know what I mean, TrueChristian [Image: smiley-wink.gif]
^ Wait wait wait... are you telling me.. you are a true Christian just like me?

If so greetings and blessings!
[Image: Somehow-I-DOUBT-IT-meme-12343.jpg]
Like pretty much any holiday, it's modern form is a far cry from how it was originally. As an opportunity to let kids dress in costume and get free candy, I can get behind it. I think it would be awesome to chaperone a group of kids while wearing a Freddy Kruger costume.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I like Halloween, but only to the extent that it allows me to telegraph to the world how much I hate God and Jesus.

Now, the cold Ohio Octobers makes it pretty hard to stay dedicated, but when I see a little boys face light up with joy when he sees the message I printed out and wrapped around his candy: "God is bad and not good. He's real, but I'm mad at him and I hate him.", it makes it all worth it.
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
(October 31, 2015 at 10:39 am)TrueChristian Wrote: If you look at the history though, it makes sense that Halloween is such an awful holiday. Of all the main American holidays (Christmas, Valentines day, Christmas, Easter) Halloween is the only one with no Christian basis. BTW Thanksgiving does have a Christian basis, because it involved Christians giving thanks to the lord for the food they received from the natives.

Helloween on the other hand is purely a pagan holiday from before Jesus. It was invented by dumb savages who mostly spoke in babble rather than an intelligent language. It involved worshipping demons and shaking down people for treats. Samhain I believe it was called.

Actually,
Christmas was a completely pagan ritual and most of the silly little things you still do at that time of year are a celebration of the winter solstice.  The catholic church decided to commandeer that part of the year because they thought if you can't beat it, join it.  
The Yule log, caroling, mistletoe, the christmas tree, on down the rabbit hole we go.  Christmas is very nearly completely pagan and I know of a handful of REALLY devout christians who will not even consider celebrating it.  For centuries Christmas was a time of debauchery and some churches would even outlaw it.  If you want to go ahead and get your head out of your butt and out of your Bible (often the same thing) you'd know that most of your religion is plagarized and that your silly rules are just stupid regurgitated rules thought up by primitives. 

Happy Halloween
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Random Thoughts Foxaèr 11016 270355 2 hours ago
Last Post: Jackalope
  Thoughts on sexual services? Macoleco 25 2123 September 7, 2022 at 10:57 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Your thoughts on the validity of this? ignoramus 12 1915 April 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Any of you attend a Christian University/high school. What were your thoughts? Atomic Lava 19 2192 November 20, 2019 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Atomic Lava
  What are your thoughts on R Kelly? rkellysucks 12 2149 July 13, 2019 at 5:36 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Thoughts and not prayers. Gawdzilla Sama 52 5481 January 30, 2019 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Inspired rather than random thoughts tackattack 20 1916 November 24, 2018 at 9:52 am
Last Post: tackattack
  Thoughts on NDE's. purplepurpose 8 1129 November 9, 2018 at 3:34 am
Last Post: purplepurpose
  A thought on thoughts KevinM1 6 1160 September 19, 2018 at 11:04 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  What are your thoughts on corporate run media? GODZILLA 3 826 July 8, 2018 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: AFTT47