Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 20, 2024, 1:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US Politics...in the toilet, but for how long?
US Politics...in the toilet, but for how long?
I just want to vent a little bit about US politics and try to comprehend how and why it is how it is.
I'm fairly young(25) and just started getting involved in politics and I'm AMAZED at what I have learned so far... really is the majority of the population of the US ignorant or just stupid?

Why only 2 parties, why even 2 parties. Shouldn't the best person win regardless of their party?
When did elections become all about money? Was Jefferson elected because we was rich or was it because he was the best man for the job?

When did big corporations start owning politicians. It's not logical. Why would lets say BP give Senator Man 500,000 in campaign donations? Because the corporations are just a group of nice people. No so they persuade them to craft laws in the FAVOR of the company not in favor of the people. I can't give a politician some donation then persuade him to make a law. The government works for the people not for big corporate interest. Or that is how it should be. So when did they start, why did we let it get out of control.
And wtf are with these super companies like GE, Viacom, Disney, News Corp. They own the media. How do we know we are getting the facts.

Another thing ever seen Jaywalking? It may be staged but still is the population of the US that stupid. Ignorance should not be able to vote, thats why I take polls with a grain of shit, I don't care if 70% of Americans don't want universal health care. 70% of Americans are probably irrational illogical and quite frankly should not be voting on issues and politicians they know nothing about. Sarah Palin for example, I don't care who you are, she lies, is stupid, and is proven wrong all the time. VP pick?!?!?! Brain hurts.
Obama need to grow a big set of balls, tell the republicans they are STUPID racists asshole and to STFU.
He failed at health care to please the other party. And those republicans blocked it because they wanted re-election, and there constituents "think" they don't want universal coverage. They are persuaded by the MEDIA, who in turn are in with the politicians. Vicious cycle and it needs to stop. NO more party systems, no more lobbyist or corporate funding for politicians. ALSO WHY are almost ALL US senators and congressmen millionaires. They are providing a public service. If you can get rich providing a public service then obviously your thoughts may lie somewhere else $$$. And not the good of the human race.

That's all I can talk about now. Even though there are TONS of other issues I think these are the big ones. So how do we fix it.

"...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan
RE: US Politics...in the toilet, but for how long?
I rarely speak on politics but I completely agree with you. Min is great on politics have any solutions min?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
25 and you're only just realising democratic politics is just voting for this douche or that turd, which do you like best? I'm 22, I've known for many years that if you give people a choice they are bound to pick the wrong option, George Bush is a fantastic example, the top40 music charts are another! Most people are ignorant, simple sheeple.
Money means media influence so big business and banking controls the government, by buying politicians or supporting the politician who meets their needs, with the money they get on tv, magazines, positive spin in newspapers, radio, billboards etc etc etc
Same with my music example too, companies find the blandest most generic artists so they don't offend any ears with original sounds (people fear radical change) they add an image which suits popular trends (set by fashion industry) and they get there boring songs on the radio 50 times a day with the DJ hyping it up and the mindless drones buy the album.

The fairest democracy in the world belongs to Israel. There's tons of parties and each represents a single issue or community, and people vote for what matters most to them so if there a hundred voting seats and 5% are worried about climate change 5 seats belong to those representatives, if 30% are pro nuclear power they get 30 seats and so on. If everyone had a system like that with the only sanctioned promoting going on being a televised debate with all candidates so there is no real money biase. Also if you've got the main 100 seat government going on voting every issue that arises, you could have the shadow government made up of elected union leaders to represent the 100 biggest working sectors in society. You could have a builder proposing his ideas, have doctors having their say, teachers, police, shopkeepers, office workers etc etc so that you have 200 elected officials having a vote on every issue brought up by any of them each with a vote counting for 0.5% of the result. That is an ideal government.
Each person has their working union rep and their community MP taking their views to the top!
(June 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm)ARMS Wrote: You could have a builder proposing his ideas, have doctors having their say, teachers, police, shopkeepers, office workers

I 100% agree with that. Why are a bunch of lawyers making the decisions in our country. If it's about health care get doctors, if it's about science, use scientists.

Well I have always known it has been messed up politically in the US, but now I'm ready to try to help change it somehow. I've been watching FOX news a few times a week for about a year... is that a good enough reason to be ready to fix this issue lol.

"...the illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan
(June 2, 2010 at 6:22 pm)tackattack Wrote: I rarely speak on politics but I completely agree with you. Min is great on politics have any solutions min?

Public financing of campaigns.

Until you get either the money...or the need for money....out of the system it will remain a choice between which rich motherfucker do you trust less.
I'm 45 and it's been this way for far, far longer than I've been able to vote. Like... 200 years longer. I guess I'm jaded. I saw the original rant and thought...'yeah... and?' Heheh. It does suck and it used to piss me off, too. All I can say is vote what you believe and encourage others to know who and what they are voting for.
Quote:25 and you're only just realising democratic politics is just voting for this douche or that turd, which do you like best?

Well, the Aussie political system seems marginally less corrupt than that of the US.

The last time I voted FOR any political party was in 1975. Since then I've voted AGAINST the bigger bunch of venal incompetents vying for the opportunity to fuck up my country.

Our next Federal election is in October this year. I shall be voting against both Liberals ( far right) and Labor. ( incumbent centre right) That leaves The Greens. (centre)

I never vote based on personalities,although I consider it a plus if a politician is a complete cunt. Our head of government is an ordinary member of parliament elected leader by the ruling party, not the electorate. He can be removed at any time by the party, even when in office. (this is rare)
(June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm)paintpooper Wrote:

Nice to see someone waking up. If only this happened more often...

The corporate takeover of US politics (and society generally) took place in the second half of the nineteenth century. The key step was the establishment of the idea of corporate personhood. Corporations became legal persons with rights- something that had never been the case before, anywhere. Similar developments occured at around the same time in the UK, Germany etc.

If you're interested, theres a good website here on the subject.

As to what to do about it- thats much less clear. My own view is that the state is not the answer- its very much part of the problem. What we need to do is take power away from hierarchical organizations such as states and corporations, and give power to individuals and communities. This leads me to a left-libertarian position that borders on anarchism.
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(June 4, 2010 at 10:25 am)Caecilian Wrote:
(June 2, 2010 at 6:10 pm)paintpooper Wrote:

Nice to see someone waking up. If only this happened more often...

The corporate takeover of US politics (and society generally) took place in the second half of the nineteenth century. The key step was the establishment of the idea of corporate personhood. Corporations became legal persons with rights- something that had never been the case before, anywhere. Similar developments occured at around the same time in the UK, Germany etc.

If you're interested, theres a good website here on the subject.

As to what to do about it- thats much less clear. My own view is that the state is not the answer- its very much part of the problem. What we need to do is take power away from hierarchical organizations such as states and corporations, and give power to individuals and communities. This leads me to a left-libertarian position that borders on anarchism.

I have been reading some articles are anarchism sounds pretty interesting.

Well I was hoping in the wake of this oil disaster, wall street failing, big companies failing, that more people would wake up and see this, and realize we need to change. Quit worrying about gays marrying and where the president was born and concentrate on issues that actually matter.
Someone needs to get in power with the kahoonas to tell the American people what is going on. Oh but they can't because getting elected is all about money it's very frustrating to know that we can do almost nothing about it. I was hoping Obama was going to be this man, but I see he is just a corporate puppet himself.
We have the stupid Taxed Enough Already crowd... who I feel are the lowest form of life because taxes are low right now so they are just idiots. We do need to raise taxes, I was reading in the 30's or something the highest tax bracket was like 90%?? Ignorant talking heads like rush and beck who contribute nothing to society besides making themselves rich by spewing lies that ignorant Americans actually believe, they are hurting society.

- Carl Sagan
(June 2, 2010 at 6:34 pm)ARMS Wrote: The fairest democracy in the world belongs to Israel.
Uh oh, don't get me started about Israel. Smile Israel is a theocracy, built on land stolen for religious rule by just one religion. That land should not be owned by jews, muslims or any other religion. Israeli jews claim their god promised them the land thousands of years ago to their religion. I often wonder, would the same American jews who support Israel also support the returning of America to the Native Americans? No religious claim would be involved and there is much more valid documentation regarding their original ownership. In both America and Israel though, people who are currently born in those places should have a right to full citizenship and this must take priority over ancestral claims. There are people currently living today who were born in Israel before it was stolen to make the theocracy. Israel is better and more democratic than the surrounding muslim theocracies, but it is still a theocracy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Two things I want to talk about, politics wise ShinyCrystals 39 2336 September 23, 2023 at 6:39 am
Last Post: no one
  How does your WV inform your politics? FrustratedFool 142 6415 September 8, 2023 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  When Grown-Up Play Politics BrianSoddingBoru4 0 323 December 18, 2022 at 5:09 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Our politics is for slaves and suckers. brokefree 12 738 June 10, 2021 at 6:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 471 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Politics and Twitter. Brian37 27 1280 May 6, 2021 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: Irreligious Atheist
  Militias/BS white anxiety and toilet paper. Brian37 10 1136 October 29, 2020 at 1:21 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  "Tell All" books and politics........ Brian37 18 897 September 6, 2020 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Sal
  USA politics of hate Richi29 4 367 July 23, 2020 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Politics WinterHold 23 1522 January 20, 2020 at 7:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger