Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 5:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Idiot Friend - For Tiberius and Rob
My Idiot Friend - For Tiberius and Rob
Okay so I have this friend who is currently doing IT at college in England, he is insisting Linux is rubbish and I just had to tell Adrian Smile

I showed him his comments on Facebook and we all had a mighty good chuckle.

I warn you now, it is quite long winded.

"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
RE: My Idiot Friend - For Adrian_Hayter and Rob
I still love the fact he tried to say Android was more popular than Linux; he clearly had some Linux "myth" site in his browser and was just reading the lies off that.

As for the "professionals" seeing the industry move more towards Mac and iPhone / iPad, I think that is a ridiculous notion. The professionals I meet all agree that the future is web-based, browser and OS agnostic.
He put something new after someone he knew commented Big Grin

"God is dead" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Faith is what you have in things that DON'T exist. - Homer J. Simpson
I still have no idea what industry he talks about here. It certainly isn't the computer industry...

I've noticed he keeps flip-flopping on his position. Half the time it's "Linux is in decline, Linux has failed, Linux is useless" and then half the time it's "Yeah, Linux has dominated servers, oh yeah, Linux is good for...etc"

This line is now my favourite though:

"Nobody really wants to make drivers for linux, there's no point."

Does he even know what a driver is?
(June 5, 2010 at 9:40 am)Tiberius Wrote: I still have no idea what industry he talks about here. It certainly isn't the computer industry...

I've noticed he keeps flip-flopping on his position. Half the time it's "Linux is in decline, Linux has failed, Linux is useless" and then half the time it's "Yeah, Linux has dominated servers, oh yeah, Linux is good for...etc"

This line is now my favourite though:

"Nobody really wants to make drivers for linux, there's no point."

Does he even know what a driver is?

Of course he does, but what does that have to do with computers? Big Grin

I like how he thinks that linux is old and not up to date, as in lacking HD capability, etc,.

Never mind how linux was the first OS to fully support IPv6 years ahead of time, began work on compositing window managers well before Windows did, etc,.
btw:
Quote:Dell has recently decided its going to pull the option of linux being available as addon to their desktop pc's due to operating system not showing the full potential their systems have to offer.

Is crap.

Dell has stopped supplying Linux as an option because there was no demand for it. Dell have been brilliant for use under Linux for as long as I can remember. Pretty much everything works right out of the box after a base installation of Ubuntu, Mint, OpenSuse or Fedora. The only exception being the broadcom wireless, as they would not release a GPL driver set. This has changed since last year. Dell's have shown to be way more efficient under Linux than under Windows, specially in the graphics dept.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Old techno dill here:

I have Linux Mint on my old Pentium 4 which is my back up for when windows XP on this box shits itself. I also have a Linux disc which I can use here to remove viruses.

I like Linux a lot and would have it on this box if I could get all the apps I want.

The Opinionated One sounds like an undergraduate philosophy student who asserts he can prove God does not exist. Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Birthday Tiberius arewethereyet 10 524 April 29, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  A Different Brand of Idiot onlinebiker 39 1405 July 21, 2020 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  I heard from Rob today! ReptilianPeon 2 499 March 29, 2020 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Anyone else have that "weird" friend? Atomic Lava 31 2501 November 28, 2019 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Happy Birthday Tiberius Fidel_Castronaut 35 2574 April 30, 2018 at 5:48 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Happy anniversary, Tiberius! Shell B 17 2393 January 18, 2018 at 4:41 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  Help Tiberius get the most Rep. Tiberius 20 3104 September 27, 2017 at 3:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  So my redneck friend came to visit on Friday. Brian37 9 2321 June 5, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Happy Birthday Tiberius! brewer 31 2309 May 4, 2017 at 12:48 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Idiot's guide to taking care of a frying pan? Chad32 29 4602 February 23, 2017 at 2:29 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger