Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 8:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can God be loved even as a fictional character?
Can God be loved even as a fictional character?
Been a while since I've posted but I had a thought the other day and I am curious what all of you would say about it...

When I read novels I often get close to the characters. I always love when the character displays traits that I can relate to but also to their humanity. By that, I mean how I love when they'll do something seemingly stupid, cruel, flippantly, etc. but you understand why they made the decision. But I have been thinking a lot on how hard it is to give up my faith in god because of a relationship I feel I have developed with him. I believed that the relationship had to be real because of how real it felt. But as my faith in god has slipped I knew there would have to be some way to get over this conundrum. I think the solution is that I can love god even as a fictional character. I know that many atheist hate how the god of the bible is portrayed. But if he is just a fictional character and all of the stories are made up, I think that I can still draw close to him while learning from those "atrocities." I personally get annoyed when certain atheist can almost never ascribe any single good trait or quality to god or Jesus. What comes to mind is an essay Matt Dillahunty wrote about how horrible the sermon on the mount was. But there are many other examples. It has really helped me to come to peace with a non belief in god and my still lingering love for him. I have been reading the bible more than ever with a whole new perspective.

So what do you think? Putting aside your feelings on religion and god of the bible, is it possible or healthy to still feel affection for god and even Jesus even if you acknowledge them as mostly fictional? I say mostly because even if Jesus or some actual man that Jesus was based off of walked the earth, he was almost certainly not truly divine.
RE: Can God be loved even as a fictional character?
How is one to make an assessment of a character after putting aside the knowledge of said character?  Shy
I love Him. Of course he hits me all the time and kills and maims infants every day.. But you gotta understand, He had such a difficult childhood!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 4, 2015 at 3:05 am)Quantum Wrote: I love Him.  Of course he hits me all the time and kills and maims infants every day.. But you gotta understand,  He had such a difficult childhood!

He kills and maims infants every day?
I suppose I can love him in a the I love Darth Vader.
Since they are both fictitious, I must say that the Bible needs better script writers (judging by the amount of people here who were religious)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 4, 2015 at 3:02 am)houseofcantor Wrote: How is one to make an assessment of a character after putting aside the knowledge of said character?  Shy

Well everyone would agree that every person probably has their specific religious beliefs. Some say that there are as many denominations of Christianity as there are Christians. So basically the point I'm making is that an individual can read about Noah's flood and know it didn't happen but still draw from the experiences of every character involved. And maybe some draw the conclusion that they hate god after that. But its a fictional story, so you're only hating a fictional character
(November 4, 2015 at 3:14 am)ignoramus Wrote: I suppose I can love him in a the I love Darth Vader.
Since they are both fictitious, I must say that the Bible needs better script writers (judging by the amount of people here who were religious)

I'm not making an effort to say that my reasoning should encourage more believers. Its simply a discussion about why I feel like not believing in god means I have to resent him as well
(November 4, 2015 at 3:11 am)Won2blv Wrote:
(November 4, 2015 at 3:05 am)Quantum Wrote: I love Him.  Of course he hits me all the time and kills and maims infants every day.. But you gotta understand,  He had such a difficult childhood!

He kills and maims infants every day?

Sure... Like the other day when he invented Leukaemia But it's not His fault. He has such a good and fragile heart under His psychopathic madman facade
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 4, 2015 at 3:18 am)Won2blv Wrote:
(November 4, 2015 at 3:14 am)ignoramus Wrote: I suppose I can love him in a the I love Darth Vader.

I'm not making an effort to say that my reasoning should encourage more believers. Its simply a discussion about why I feel like not believing in god means I have to resent him as well

Absolutely true! Not believing in God (as opposed to being angry at him) actually means not having any feeling for said character.
Since God doesn't exist, it's not him we despise, it's the deluded followers! Yourself excluded of course!   hehe Shy
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(November 4, 2015 at 3:16 am)Won2blv Wrote:
(November 4, 2015 at 3:02 am)houseofcantor Wrote: How is one to make an assessment of a character after putting aside the knowledge of said character?  Shy

Well everyone would agree that every person probably has their specific religious beliefs. Some say that there are as many denominations of Christianity as there are Christians. So basically the point I'm making is that an individual can read about Noah's flood and know it didn't happen but still draw from the experiences of every character involved. And maybe some draw the conclusion that they hate god after that. But its a fictional story, so you're only hating a fictional character

You know, this is like coming to a sober group and asking us to help justify your drinking.  Tongue

And to be sure of the context, you're talking the "Christian God," yeah? 'Cause there ain't really nothing likable about that guy. What is it about said individual that is so compelling as compared to pantheism, for instance?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1454 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3404 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2101 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Your favorite atheists (Fictional or real) NuclearEnergy 48 9364 December 4, 2017 at 2:02 pm
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  Even in darkest times here is something that made me smile dyresand 3 1945 May 17, 2017 at 10:01 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  What would evidence of a God even look like? Excited Penguin 153 22097 September 12, 2016 at 9:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is Eternal Life Even Desireable? noctalla 72 14903 November 23, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: Cephus
  Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter? LivingNumbers6.626 4 1906 November 21, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Even us atheist don't realize one thing LogicOrDie 8 2332 September 8, 2014 at 8:41 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  why is there even a word to describe non believers? ticktaka 26 5851 April 17, 2014 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: ticktaka