Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 7:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?
How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?
Hi,

I am a new member here.
 I made this account, largely for one simple purpose, which was to find out why you believe in what you believe.
 It is not so much a quest to change you or 'convert' you, but rather to find out your beliefs and motivations. I just want to know the background you are coming  from ...

As for my own identity, I am of Jewish faith, and was an ex-atheist ... So, you can get an idea about my own background.

Why do you believe that God doesn't exist?
 How can you be sure that God's existence is not real, for certain?
 Humanity has still not uncovered a great deal about our own existence, or what's on the other side of the universe.

If anything, one can only be agnostic, rather than an atheist.
 The logic I am going by is that atheism states that only hard evidence should be used to prove or disprove something; that is after all, the scientific way. Given that there is no evidence to prove or disprove God, you can only be agnostic rather than an atheist.
 For those who don't know what an agnostic is, agnostics are neutral towards the idea; they don't know if God exists or doesn't, and so are open to both possibilites, but conclude that at a human level, is impossible to know the truth.

So anyway, I would like to know why you believe that God doesn't exist?

Thank you ...
 Sincerely,

- RandomGuy123
RE: How can you be sure that God doesn't exist?
How can you be sure that Allah does not exist?

How can you be sure Vishnu does not exist?

How can you be sure Yahweh does not exist?

How can you be sure Apollo does not exist?

How can you be sure Yoda does not exist?
There are a fuckton of mythological creatures Humans have thought up over time. I don't have the time or energy to research their existence to the point of 100% certainty that they do not exist. This includes a litany of deities, as well as lesser creatures. The sane response to all of this is to assume they don't exist until proven otherwise. The fact that we're still having discussions like this regarding any god is evidence that no one has proven he exists yet.
Poe's Law: "Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing."

10 Christ-like figures that predate Jesus. Link shortened to Chris ate Jesus for some reason...
http://listverse.com/2009/04/13/10-chris...ate-jesus/

Good video to watch, if you want to know how common the Jesus story really is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88GTUXvp-50

A list of biblical contradictions from the infallible word of Yahweh.
http://infidels.org/library/modern/jim_m...tions.html

I see zero testable evidence for any gods. If I see the evidence then a god must exist, so for I see none.
Why would anyone believe in something just because everyone else does, you need to be able to think for yourself and look at the evidence.
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(August 11, 2019 at 1:27 pm)randomguy123 Wrote: you can only be agnostic rather than an atheist.
I consider myself to be an agnostic atheist. Naughty
Cetero censeo religionem delendam esse
Agnostic atheist.
Dying to live, living to die.
I don't need to be 'sure that God doesn't exist' in order to be an atheist.  All that is required is that there be no good reason to suppose that he does.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Atheism isn’t a claim that gods don’t exist.

It is a rejection of theistic claims, however.

I’m not going to claim that there are no gods, nor am I going to accept the claims of people who say there are and that these gods speak through them, or the claims of books that show that the authors had little or no understanding of how the world works.

If a deity wants me to believe in it then it can come and introduce itself in person.

Notice I said “believe” and not “worship”
Dying to live, living to die.
(August 11, 2019 at 3:11 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Atheism isn’t a claim that gods don’t exist.

It is a rejection of theistic claims, however.

I’m not going to claim that there are no gods, nor am I going to accept the claims of people who say there are and that these gods speak through them, or the claims of books that show that the authors had little or no understanding of how the world works.

If a deity wabts me to believe in it then it can come and introduce itself in person.

Notice I said “believe” and not “worship”

I hate the suffix of any "ism" being attached any position.

All an an "ism" means is that the person believing it claims it.
Hello! Big Grin

I simply don't know if any diety exists.

So far I see nothing to indicate the prescence/existance of such.

You can't "Reason" things into existance any more than one can push clouds with their minds.

Cheers!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1003 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Why God doesn't stop satan? purplepurpose 225 14503 June 28, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 1957 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  IF you deconverted in midlife, can you help? Dragonfly 222 27369 December 18, 2018 at 1:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Do you know that homeopathy doesn't work, or do you just lack belief that it does? I_am_not_mafia 24 5172 August 25, 2018 at 4:34 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17516 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  Being An Atheist Doesn't Make You A Good Person mlmooney89 38 7010 September 7, 2017 at 10:29 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Do you think Science and Religion can co-exist in a society? ErGingerbreadMandude 137 38741 June 10, 2017 at 3:21 pm
Last Post: comet
  A god who doesn't believe in himself? ErikB 6 1737 January 21, 2017 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: ErikB
  "God doesn't Exist"- Claim or Conclusion RiddledWithFear 105 18229 December 28, 2016 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda