Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 1:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is a real Muslim?
What is a real Muslim?
Almost every post on Facebook about the atrocity in Paris has comments by people stating the terrorists weren't real Muslims or something similar but none explain what a real Muslim is? I would ask them but I get the impression even doing that would cause them to brand me islamaphobic a racist or worse. I therefore ask any of our resident followers of islam to help me out by explaining what they mean. I have a few questions to add later if the expected responses are forthcoming.

Please be assured I'm not baiting for an argument or looking to cause offence in any way, I truly wish to understand so that I can further develop my own mind set in regards to the current events.

Thank you in advance.

P.S I'm currently on early shifts (up at 0300hrs so in bed for 1830) so it may take me a few hours to respond back.
RE: What is a real Muslim?
My opinion:

A real Muslim is anyone who believes Allah, as described in the Quran and Islamic teachings, is the one true god. End of story
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

There's no such thing, like there's no such thing as a "true Christian". To claim such a thing is nonsense. Ask the believer: Do they know how Allah would have wanted them to interpret the Quran? To be a "true believer", you have to know how your favourite deity wants you to interpret scripture (nobody knows the mind of Allah). Allah telling people how to interpret the Quran (Allah's Tafsir) would, in theory, eliminate all of the sects, thus leaving us with only "true believers" and "fake believers" (those who refuse Allah's interpretation; and who might as well be Kuffar).

As an example, all I heard from the two Ahamdi speakers when they spoke at the (below linked) debate on the Sharia is the No True Scotsman Fallacy. "No true believer would follow Sharia in that way" and they proceed to give their sunshine and butterflies version of the Sharia. But Saudi and Iran both obviously think that they have the real deal even though the Ahamdi speakers want to deny that. It would be great if everyone followed the Sharia like the Ahmadis do...but they don't! In fact, Ahamdis are considered heretics by many of the Ummah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTYrjFE6Rcg

A "real Muslim" is a Muslim very similar to the Muslim using the phrase.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 16, 2015 at 1:16 pm)Dystopia Wrote: My opinion:

A real Muslim is anyone who believes Allah, as described in the Quran and Islamic teachings, is the one true god. End of story

Beat me to it.  I might also add something about belief in a divine (or at least divinely inspired) Muhammad.  But, generally, it a religion is "X-ism", a belief in X means you're an X-ist.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
A "real" Muslim is the opposite of whatever Muslim is being criticized in any given situation. Hehe
(November 16, 2015 at 1:21 pm)robvalue Wrote: A "real Muslim" is a Muslim very similar to the Muslim using the phrase.

All other muslims do it wrong. Seems familiar.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

There seems to be very little about judeo-christianity that they -didn't- think was worth stealing. Imagine how impoverished their religious lives must have been prior to the great lift, to see value even where none exists?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Ooh.  Ooh.  I know.

[Image: 87.jpg]
They only dress up like that for the annual sand harvest dance.  This is more like it.

[Image: gispec5.jpg]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Warning:You are in danger. Non-Muslim in danger! AVMXF 67 4966 July 23, 2023 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  LGBTQ Rights in Countries with a Muslim Magority Leonardo17 16 2228 January 14, 2023 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Leonardo17
  WHo is "The Pharaoh" in the Muslim Holy Book Leonardo17 14 1222 December 1, 2022 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  3 simple points to end the discussion with any muslim SaStrike 10 1308 September 20, 2022 at 12:14 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The only woman to win the Fields Medal was a Muslim Alexmahone 25 4665 August 28, 2022 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Eclectic
  There is no contradiction in the Qur'an! my answer as a muslim real muslim 37 3785 July 29, 2020 at 5:30 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Fall of Muslim science Fake Messiah 1 771 January 13, 2019 at 8:59 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Muslim men to not shake hands with females Rika82 9 1903 September 13, 2018 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  If a muslim grows old, do they have to dye their hair? Ruckus123 5 914 April 16, 2018 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: yragnitup
  So if Muhammad had long hair why so many muslim male having short hair? Ruckus123 3 1163 April 12, 2018 at 7:07 am
Last Post: chimp3