Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facts about Atheists
Facts about Atheists
Quote:1. The share of Americans who identify as atheists has roughly doubled in the past several years. Pew Research Center’s  found that3.1% of American adults say they are atheists when asked about their religious identity, up from 1.6% in a similarly large survey in 2007. An additional 4.0% of Americans call themselves agnostics, up from 2.4% in 2007.

2. Atheists, in general, are 68% are men, and the median age of atheist adults in the U.S. is 34 (compared with 46 for all U.S. adults). Atheists also are more likely to be white (78% are Caucasian vs. 66% for the general public) and highly educated: About four-in-ten atheists (43%) have a college degree, compared with 27% of the general public.

3. Self-identified atheists with the Democratic Party and with political liberalism. About two-thirds of atheists (69%) identify as Democrats (or lean in that direction), and a majority (56%) call themselves political liberals(compared with just one-in-ten who say they are conservatives). Atheists overwhelmingly favor same-sex marriage (92%) and legal abortion (87%). In addition, three-quarters (74%) say that government aid to the poor does more good than harm.

4. Although the literal definition of “atheist” is “a person who believes that God does not exist,” according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary8% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God or a universal spirit. Indeed, 2% say they are “absolutely certain” about the existence of God or a universal spirit. Alternatively, there are many people who fit the dictionary definition of “atheist” but do not call themselves atheists. About three times as many Americans say  (9%) as say they are atheists (3%).

5. Unsurprisingly, more than nine-in-ten self-identified atheists say religion is not too or not at all important in their lives, and nearly all (97%) say they seldom or never pray. At the same time, many do not see a contradiction between atheism and pondering their place in the world. Three-in-ten (31%) say they feel a deep sense of spiritual peace and well-being at least weekly. A similar share (35%) often think about the meaning and purpose of life. And roughly half of all atheists (54%) frequently feel a deep sense of wonder about the universe, up from 37% in 2007. In fact, atheists are more likely than U.S. Christians to say  about the universe (54% vs. 45%).

6. In the 2014 Religious Landscape Study, self-identified atheists were asked with religious people. Only about one-in-ten atheists (9%) say they do at least weekly, while roughly two-thirds (65%) say they seldom or never discuss their views on religion with religious people. By comparison, 26% of those who have a religious affiliation share their views at least once a week with those who have other beliefs; 43% say they seldom or never do.

7. Virtually no atheists (1%) turn to religion for guidance on questions of right and wrong, but About a third of atheists (32%) say they look primarily to science for guidance on questions of right and wrong, up from 20% in 2007. A plurality (44%) still cite “practical experience and common sense” as their primary guide on such questions, but that is down from 52% in 2007.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/201...-atheists/

I think #5 is awesome.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: Facts about Atheists
So we're awesome.

We knew that already.

Tongue
Dying to live, living to die.
I'll bet atheist women are ten times as good as theist women in bed .. on average.
I find #7 rather frightening. I don't look to science to answer moral questions. I don't think it's appropriate, though science may explain why we choose the answers we do.

I'm always surprised (though I've heard it before) that more men are atheists than women.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(November 18, 2015 at 9:01 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: I'll bet atheist women are times as good as theist women in bed .. on average.

Of course we are.  We have no silly hangups about sex.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
Quote:8% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God

8% of 'atheists' need to open a fucking dictionary.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. ~ George Bernard Shaw
(November 18, 2015 at 9:01 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote: I'll bet atheist women are ten times as good as theist women in bed .. on average.

Yes, we MOVE!
Dying to live, living to die.
(November 18, 2015 at 9:02 pm)Jenny A Wrote: I find #7 rather frightening.  I don't look to science to answer moral questions.  I don't think it's appropriate, though science may explain why we choose the answers we do.

I'm always surprised (though I've heard it before) that more men are atheists than women.
I think Science can answer some moral questions, I don't think that stat. should imply that "Most atheists look to science for their only morality", that would be parallel to some Christians and the Bible.

However, taking part of your morality from Science is great in my books,
is it really that bad to see Scientific studies about amounts of Homocides per area, and deducing that killing people has a negative effect on society?
is it really that worrisome to look at Scientific studies documenting the negative impact using Methamphetamine can have, and deduce smoking Meth is probably bad for you?

I think you forgot to include these things^ when questioning the statistic, forgetting that the fact that you make a moral decision that Violence, and Human Suffering are not something you partake in, as well is a Morality coming from Science.
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
(November 18, 2015 at 9:04 pm)Ashground Wrote:
Quote:8% of those who call themselves atheists also say they believe in God

8% of 'atheists' need to open a fucking dictionary.
That feels like something I would see on a comedy sketch.

1"Hey, do you believe in God man?"

2"Yeah man, but i'm an atheist"

1"So................you're an atheist...............but you believe in god?"

2"Yeah what's so complicated about that?"

1"Nothing. I understand it.
Which is why i'm taking this opportunity to inform you that I am a Homosexual Homophobe"

2"Oh..........................
I see your point........"
Which is better:

The choice is yours. 

Mind they're only talking about American atheists. These answers are in no way representative. In other parts of the world, you would get different answers.

Looking to science for morals seems dubious to me too. Science doesn't offer any rules or guidelines for living together in a society. It's also not it's purpose.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Fun Facts of the Bible Quoteunquot3 0 951 June 15, 2012 at 10:35 am
Last Post: Quoteunquot3
  100 Facts Every Atheist Teen Must Know 100Facts 117 28827 September 2, 2011 at 9:27 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger