Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 10:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Television Series Recommendations
Television Series Recommendations
I don't subscribe to cable or satellite television; I only watch via Netflix and Amazon, so I tend to watch one series at a time.

I've recently finished Downton Abbey, Poirot, Foyle's War. As you can see from these, I have a fondness for British shows set in the past. Some of my favorite movies are Pride & Prejudice (with Keira Knightley) and Sense & Sensibility (with Emma Thompson). In fact, I like a lot of Emma Thompson films.

But for variety, I also watched all of Kitchen Nightmares, and now I'm halfway through Justified. I didn't care for 24 at all. I also enjoy history and science documentaries.

So, what would you recommend for my must-see list? Are there any other good BBC or American shows available on Netflix that I should know about?

Besides "All Creatures Great and Small"?  Tongue
RE: Television Series Recommendations
I recommend the original office series not the American remake.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
"Black Mirror". Everyone should watch "Black Mirror".
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
The Last Kingdom and of course Game of Thrones is the best TV programme in the history of the medium.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

On Netflix I highly recommend Aziz Ansari's "Master of None," on Amazon I recommend "The Man in the High Castle," and of course, "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix.

Older shows to binge watch:
Scrubs
Weeds
New Girl
Friends
Dexter
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Torchwood (BBC) is fantabulous series, and I do believe it's still available on Netflix. 
Well-deserving of it's own adjective; it's that good.

But, House of Cards is the best of the best, IMO. Without a doubt.

Dragnet.
1 Adam 12.
Emergency.
Dark Shadows.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Well, the first seasons of Sherlock, obviously. They perfectly transport the Victorian flair of the original into present day London.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(November 27, 2015 at 8:31 pm)Quantum Wrote: Well, the first seasons of Sherlock, obviously. They perfectly transport the Victorian flair of the original into present day London.

And back to Victorian England again at Xmas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAai7yjv6v4

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 27, 2015 at 1:57 pm)SteelCurtain Wrote: On Netflix I highly recommend Aziz Ansari's "Master of None," on Amazon I recommend "The Man in the High Castle," and of course, "Orange is the New Black" on Netflix.

Older shows to binge watch:
Scrubs
Weeds
New Girl
Friends
Dexter

OMG yes, Dexter!

If anyone hasn't watched it, watch it Big Grin

I wish I hadn't watched it so I could watch it all again from scratch.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 204 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Let's (re-)watch a series on Netflix together. Mystic 33 3768 October 18, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  An idea for a thread series GrandizerII 13 1548 December 30, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Athene
  The scream series dyresand 3 632 August 21, 2016 at 1:21 am
Last Post: account_inactive
  New short series: Candidate Profile ANoble 10 1374 July 31, 2016 at 6:10 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Your favorite television show theme song. Foxaèr 65 5959 April 1, 2016 at 10:30 am
Last Post: MTL
  Who is excited about the new Star Trek series? Mechaghostman2 98 8944 November 13, 2015 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Mechaghostman2
  Book Recommendations? Roxy904 40 6952 January 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Thai Red Curry recipes or recommendations Clueless Morgan 8 1990 July 14, 2014 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Random Television Talk Foxaèr 29 4618 May 26, 2014 at 6:23 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr