Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Recommendations?
Book Recommendations?
I'm bored, and I don't have anything to read. Any recommendations? It has to be an relatively well-known, though, to be an ebook in my library system.
Thanks.
Gone
RE: Book Recommendations?
What do you want to read?
Are we talking fiction, science fiction, philosophy, science, classics...
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

What genre do you prefer? Some of the forum members here have published there own books, have you read those?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Whatever... I don't know; I read mostly fiction, I suppose, and this ranges from classics to YA novels. But I am trying to read more nonfiction. Besudes, I kind of need to break out of my comfort zone (easy-to-read fiction) a bit.
No, I was not aware that some forum members have published their own books. They should feel free to recommend those books, so I can read them, and judge them harshly. Smile
Gone
I've got e-versions of Hitchens, God is Not Great.
Dawkins - God Delusion and The Blind Watchmaker
Israel Finkelstein's The Bible Unearthed & The Forgotten Kingdom
Bart Ehrman's Lost Christianities; Misquoting Jesus; Forged; and Jesus Interrupted
William Dever's Did God Have A Wife

and, for something really offbeat...

Walter Miller's A Canticle for Leibowitz.

If you want any just PM an email address and I'll send them to you.
Dawkins writes wonderfully indeed, I thought climbing mount improbable was also cute, but blind watchmaker is great.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

Thanks, just downloaded God is Not Great. Goodnight, y'all.
Gone
(January 20, 2015 at 3:42 am)Roxy904 Wrote: Thanks, just downloaded God is Not Great. Goodnight, y'all.

Yeah, jump in head first, why start with the milquetoast stuff if you can have the heavy artillery!

Okay, so, here are some books that are either with arms reach at this very moment, or that I think you might enjoy.

Modern/Postmodernism:

Ulysses by James Joyce

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon (actually, anything by Pynchon is amazing.)

The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon (probably better to read this first. GR is really long.)

Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace

Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Wolf

Because You Liked 1984, You Might Also Enjoy:

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Fahrenheit 451 by- Ray Bradburry

Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell (really, anything Orwell did, though)

Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess (the Kubrick film is an absolute masterpiece as well, but it's singularly disturbing)

Maybe more later, not sure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  De-Pluralize A Film, Book, etc BrianSoddingBoru4 12 1100 September 18, 2022 at 12:50 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The last book you read zwanzig 27 1726 October 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
Last Post: brewer
  Podcast recommendations please... arewethereyet 1 205 September 1, 2020 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: Rhizomorph13
  Atheist Forums Recipe Book Shell B 44 8680 November 14, 2017 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Recipe Book BrokenQuill92 6 1451 November 13, 2017 at 8:40 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Like to read? Book review thread! mediocrates 13 2232 May 16, 2017 at 11:08 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  A Way to Support Me FREE Book Offer Rhondazvous 9 2638 March 14, 2017 at 3:13 am
Last Post: AceBoogie
  Television Series Recommendations athrock 16 1961 November 29, 2015 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: pgrimes15
  GoT Book Reader's Thread - All Spoilers Welcome! Whateverist 11 2921 June 11, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: Aroura
  Next time i go to the book store dyresand 0 605 May 17, 2015 at 2:44 am
Last Post: dyresand