Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
False equivalency
False equivalency
Con man - A person who willingly and knowingly lies, cheats, or tricks someone in means of a confidence game, knowing that this is what they are doing and purposely acting as though they believe one thing whilst knowing this is not what they believe.

Religious Person - A person who professes their belief, and tries to persuade others to believe the same because they feel this belief is the truth, and will not willingly lie, or trick someone, in order to get them to believe it, because this is what they personally believe is true, but may unknowingly deceive someone.
Which is better:
To die with ignorance, or to live with intelligence?

Truth doesn't accommodate to personal opinions.
The choice is yours. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is God and there is man, it's only a matter of who created whom

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The more questions you ask, the more you realize that disagreement is inevitable, and communication of this disagreement, irrelevant.
RE: False equivalency
... ok?
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
That's not a false equivalency - that's an equivalency.
I think the primary difference between a confidence trickster and a religious proselytizer is that the conman is always lying, whereas the majority of religionists believe that what they're pushing is true (if they don't believe it to be true, they fall into the category of 'conman').  Thus, religionists aren't always 'lying', per se, but they're guilty of pushing false information, all the same.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
So what distinguishes a preacher from a conman is that a conman isn't dumb enough to fall for his own trick.
(November 29, 2015 at 6:43 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: So what distinguishes a preacher from a conman is that a conman isn't dumb enough to fall for his own trick.

Precisely. The conman knows he's a fraud, the preacher has to have it pointed out to him.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(November 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm)Heat Wrote: Con man - A person who willingly and knowingly lies, cheats, or tricks someone in means of a confidence game, knowing that this is what they are doing and purposely acting as though they believe one thing whilst knowing this is not what they believe.

Religious Person - A person who professes their belief, and tries to persuade others to believe the same because they feel this belief is the truth, and will not willingly lie, or trick someone, in order to get them to believe it, because this is what they personally believe is true, but may unknowingly deceive someone.

Con man - Joel Osteen. Lives in a 10 million dollar mansion, thanks to all his "followers"

Religious person - Joel Osteen. Tricks millions of followers into giving to the church, whereas he thinks he IS the church. 

I fail to see the difference between the two.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(November 29, 2015 at 6:53 pm)Judi Lynn Wrote:
(November 29, 2015 at 6:30 pm)Heat Wrote: Con man - A person who willingly and knowingly lies, cheats, or tricks someone in means of a confidence game, knowing that this is what they are doing and purposely acting as though they believe one thing whilst knowing this is not what they believe.

Con man - Joel Osteen. Lives in a 10 million dollar mansion, thanks to all his "followers"

Religious person - Joel Osteen. Tricks millions of followers into giving to the church, whereas he thinks he IS the church. 

I fail to see the difference between the two.

Clearly, there's some overlap...

Boru
Con man - A person who willingly and knowingly lies, cheats, or tricks someone in means of a confidence game, knowing that this is what they are doing and purposely acting as though they believe one thing whilst knowing this is not what they believe.

Sucker - A person who buys the con, and tries to persuade others to buy into it because they feel this bullshit is the genuine article, and will not willingly lie, or trick someone, in order to get them to believe it, because this is what they personally believe is true and unknowingly deceive others by perpetuating the con man's bullshit.
I'm a "religion person", does that mean yall think I'm a con man?
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Scripture Is False And The Biblical God Is Dead. Authari 301 21337 January 27, 2023 at 7:45 am
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  If the Bible is false, why are its prophecies coming true? pgardner2358 3 1641 June 9, 2018 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Jesus, a False Saviour? rolandsanjaya 17 3483 April 11, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  When Atheists Can't Think Episode 2: Proving Atheism False Heat 18 3401 December 22, 2015 at 12:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Is the Atheism/Theism belief/disbelief a false dichotomy? are there other options? Psychonaut 69 14477 October 5, 2015 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Why Does Atheism Have to be False? crosssaves 66 13908 June 21, 2015 at 11:54 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  Why I think atheism is false Drew_2013 3 1904 March 5, 2013 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Moral realism is false Gruesome_knight 23 8972 March 5, 2012 at 6:41 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger