Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 5:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chance to better theism
Chance to better theism
Here's my proposition for anyone interested. If Christianity is such a horrible and hatefull thing in your neighborhood tell me how and what would you say to them were you in their classrooms. I'm doing this because while I consider myself very tolerant, peaceful and loving, I recognize that some people are possibly even trained to spew hate. Because of this, and some other reasons, I've decided to teach a young adults class. I was going over topics and hate and intolerance were big on my list. What are some things you would say to the churches who you've seen as intolerant, bigoted or just down right nasty?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: Chance to better theism
Perhaps something about making sure you don't get so over-enthusiastic about your own beliefs that you get absolutist and don't consider the possibility that you might be wrong and so: others deserve mutual respect.

(That only applies when it's the case obviously).

EvF
I would ask these churches to invite speakers from peaceful, inclusive, tolerant and most importantly, non literal and philosophical churches to share their philosophies and ideologies with them.

The key to understanding each other is education and open mindedness.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Oh and making sure they look into other religions would be good if they are a bit isolated in theirs.

EvF
I'd start up a secular ethics class and read ALL the "sacred texts"available and start a debate / discussion with my class... Angel
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
How about giving them some ethical philosophical alternatives to the concept of "sin"?

EvF
Be careful you don't get tarred and feathered, tack.
Sometimes you come to the conclusion that some people are just bigoted assholes and don't want to change.
@min, lol I've already gotten my preliminary topics approved by the board, pastor and they're perfectly in line with the Church's principles. Some people who call themselves Christians really aren't opposed to questioning their own beliefs, they just don't know how. No worries on the Tar and feathering there.

@tav- true, luckily I don't think I'll find too many, if any, of those in my church. You never know though.

So ethics from a secular perspective
Multiple POV's of religion including religious texts and speakers
yes to mutual respect, no to over-enthusiasm to the point of closed-mindedness

All things I already have.... anything else?
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
i think Christians need to work on being more skeptical. I was in an evangelical Church for a while and they had people get up on stage every time someone wanted to testify to a 'miracle'. A kid comes up the microphone with a cast over his leg, and says that when he was worshiping the other day his pain faded. "Praise the Lord!" they all said, but what about the real explanation: the adrenaline and endorphine uptake upon jumping up and down with your friends in unison with the thought in mind that there's something out there that loves you. That's a cocktail that will ease anyones pain. Speaking of 'intolerance', they would also have kids come up to the mic when they ended a relationship with a 'non-Christian' and applaud... In a way I understand not supporting or encouraging inter-religious relationships as I would discourage atheists from dating Christians or any theist. I see disagreement on such a major controversy leading to problems in any relationship.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The believer seems to know god better than he knows himself Foxaèr 43 8065 June 2, 2018 at 1:30 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Theism is literally childish I_am_not_mafia 391 58160 November 16, 2017 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Better terminology for "Father and Son" ? vorlon13 258 60229 October 13, 2017 at 10:48 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  My view of theism - theism analogous to belief in extra terrestrials joseph_ 4 1238 August 30, 2016 at 4:20 am
Last Post: Jarrey
  Christians, would you have saved Jesus, if you had he chance? Simon Moon 294 34306 July 2, 2016 at 11:23 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Theism the unscientific belief dyresand 18 4062 November 11, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Religion doesn't make you a better person dyresand 3 2135 August 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Perfect, Best of Possible, or Better than Nothing: Which criterion? Hatshepsut 35 6618 May 19, 2015 at 6:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  How is one orgins story considered better than another Drich 102 11022 December 6, 2014 at 1:03 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  Oh jesus you naughty boy. Better luck next time. Zidneya 62 16854 October 20, 2014 at 12:44 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen