Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FF7 Remake Gameplay Shown
FF7 Remake Gameplay Shown
I was wondering what everyone thinks of them abandoning the turn-based combat?

What's your overall impression of this?

RE: FF7 Remake Gameplay Shown
Have they?

I still see menu buttons, so I assume you can still pause to issue commands, no?
Well, I thought they did, but now that you mention the buttons, I'm not so sure. I didn't notice that in the corner.

Now I'm curious as to what's going on in that video.
I'll be honest - the less quirky and cartoon-ish the character design, the less appealing FF games are to me. I liked the big-headed wobbly puppets in the original, as well as those in the 8-16bit games from the series and FFIX. This new version looks kinda cold and creepy - definitely somewhere on the Uncanny Valley slope.

As for combat system change - I figured they would do that. Few developers have the guts to go back to the times, when games were less mainstream (kudos to Firaxis, for X-Com). Personally - I'd be much happier with the original system, perhaps with some tweaks and upgrades, but then again I'd be happy if Fallout 3 and 4 were still isometric turn-based RPGs, so I guess my preferences are not representative of today's AAA game developers' target market.

I hope they don't make it too "hack'n'slash", or even worse - anything like "FFXIII's" combat system...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(December 7, 2015 at 9:40 am)meless Nutter Wrote: I'll be honest - the less quirky and cartoon-ish the character design, the less appealing FF games are to me.

For me, the more cartoonish the characters are in a game, the more likely the gameplay is addictively fun. I detest the adult-oriented feel to many video games today with the dull graphics, lack of enjoyable music, and lack of variety in gameplay per game (especially on Playstation and X-Box consoles). How everyone around me are in love with games like Call of Duty is beyond me.
(December 7, 2015 at 9:58 am)Irrational Wrote: For me, the more cartoonish the characters are in a game, the more likely the gameplay is addictively fun. I detest the adult-oriented feel to many video games today with the dull graphics, lack of enjoyable music, and lack of variety in gameplay per game (especially on Playstation and X-Box consoles). How everyone around me are in love with games like Call of Duty is beyond me.

I stopped caring about the entire FPS genre years ago, some time around Quake 2, I think. And shooters - especially competitive multiplayer ones - on consoles always struck me as a horrible idea, because aiming and turning with a controller is a pain in the ar*e compared to mouse on a PC.

Don't get me wrong - there are plenty new games I enjoy, although I tend to mainly play indie games nowadays, and only occasionally some AAA releases, but remaking old classics is a risky endeavor and dramatically changing them in the process is even a riskier one, since nostalgia factor kinda builds up unrealistic expectations, which for many fans of the original will be impossible to satisfy - regardless of objective quality of the product.
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
I may be in the minority, but for me, it's all about the gameplay. I couldn't care less about story if the game plays well and does a good job of keeping me hooked with things like its leveling or loot systems. I usually find turn-based mechanics to be exhaustively boring and tend to be drawn towards the photo-realistic style of graphics. I'm also a huge fan of PvP and FPS, but I can't understand why CoD is still so popular.

For whatever reason, though, Final Fantasy 7 was one of the few games of that style that drew me in, and I'm not sure how to feel about the direction they've gone with this remake. I'm a bit concerned, however, that they're going to feel the need to redo too much, and the game is going to suffer for it. I guess I'll just have to keep an open mind about it.
So, they're going to release FF7 in episodes with each one "providing its own unique experience."  Now I'm really skeptical about this game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/p...=Spotlight
(December 7, 2015 at 12:09 pm)Faith No More Wrote: So, they're going to release FF7 in episodes with each one "providing its own unique experience."  Now I'm really skeptical about this game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/12/07/p...=Spotlight

Yeah, as soon as you hear a phrase like this, you know it's not going to be that good. Tongue
Usually when I hear a phrase like that, it's just developer hype. My fear is that it's either that or the game is going to feel disconnected, and each episode is going to feel like an unfinished game itself.

I guess I'll have to just trust that they know what they're doing, but it's very hard to place faith in game developers these days.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resident evil 3 remake thoughts dyresand 2 1408 May 10, 2020 at 10:33 am
Last Post: Mr.wizard
Video Tokyo Game Show FFVII Remake Trailer Cecelia 0 506 September 11, 2019 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Final Fantasy VII remake trailer Cecelia 5 1204 December 22, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  FF7 Remake Announced Fidel_Castronaut 19 3065 July 19, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Stanley Parable gameplay dyresand 3 1152 January 9, 2015 at 10:47 am
Last Post: dyresand
  POKEMON RUBY AND SAPPHIRE REMAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Duke Guilmon 0 630 May 8, 2014 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: Duke Guilmon
  FF7 Haydn2 5 1370 September 29, 2012 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Tempus
  XCOM: Enemy Unknown Remake Chuff 6 2601 March 8, 2012 at 5:11 am
Last Post: Cyberman