Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FYI "Atheist" does not mean lawless mob rule.
FYI "Atheist" does not mean lawless mob rule.
In my 15 years of online debate, and just now on FB you everyso often run into weirdos mainly late teens or earily 20 males who will come to an atheist page posting all sorts of bizarre crap. Once in my early days a guy posted a thread about beating his girlriend with the title "I beat my girlfriend come into this thread with an open mind"........WTF! Fortunately the dumbass put his location and real picture as his avatar. I called the local police and he got a visit.

Once had a guy claiming his "NAMBLA" group would show up to an atheist march, well in that case I think that was simply a poser trying to get the website in trouble.

Fast forward to today and FB were one guy posted the picture of this guy in the link below, convicted of killing someone on top of arson of several churches in Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes

In reading it, the moron Varg while railing against Christianity sets up his own Oden pagan worship but stupidly calls it an ideology. Nope sorry basing your life on any type of superstition is not an ideology, and even if I agreed, he was still basing it on a delusion, is own version of delusion. 

I think just like Isis or Roof or McVeigh or even mere street gangs, you don't monitor youth or teach them to think critically they can easily fall into the trap of blind loyalty to a group of deluded people. 

I am no fan of the idea of religion, but I also don't get to chose which ones survive or what people should or should not believe. I can only attack the logic of the claim. But in a civil society NOBODY has the right to physically harm others or their property. 

Quote:Quote Wiki article on Varg

"He draws a direct connection between both race and intelligence and intelligence and religion, denouncing  as "mental enslavement" fit only for "inferior race"

This is what makes Varg an especially deluded jackass. Use of bad logic that leads to religion isn't race based, it simply is more easily peddled to less educated populations of the world. Plenty of mostly white southern red states here in America are much more deeply religious than more liberal states in the North East or California. 

More educated populations tend to be less dogmatic, and more secular. There are certainly are educated people in religion too and of all skin tones. But just because I don't value the concept of organized religion, or the superstition or fantastic claims that come with them, does not mean I value either racism or violence to the religious. 

I can handle lots of crap, even liberal non violent new age woo. But the word "atheist" does not mean lawless, or rebel or badass. It merely means "off".  So if you think because you call yourself a pagan but you act out like that nutfuck, no.

A few years ago in SC just across the boarder from me , a church was defaced with the words "There Is No God" now while I agree with the message, I don't agree with breaking the law. In a civil society nobody should be justifying physical harm or destruction of property.

So if you call yourself a pagan or a Satanist, and think because you see atheists as minorities too, that will mean I have some mandated loyalty to you by proxy? No, even without the violence or racism "Pagan" is rooted in mythology as well and Satan is a character out of the Abraham religion. But especially if you, think you have the right to use violence or destroy property because you have a "cause" no and fuck you.
RE: FYI "Atheist" does not mean lawless mob rule.
The point of this thread is incredibly vague.
Humblebrag?
Attention Whoring?
(December 24, 2015 at 7:07 pm)Shining_Finger Wrote: The point of this thread is incredibly vague.
Humblebrag?
Attention Whoring?

What is vague about it? Some people have a stupid stereo type of what "atheist" means and all it means is "off" on god claims. Some people troll atheist pages and post garbage to see if we will agree with their garbage in a stupid attempt to put us on display like zoo animals or others will join and when they join, they stupidly think because they think atheists are social outcasts like them so they'll automatically fit in.

That guy who posted the picture of the asshole in the in the wiki article joined an atheist page thinking he'd fit in, another type of person who considers themselves an outcast "rebel without a clue" thought the group was out of the mainstream so they stupidly thought they'd fit in.

And the third type are mostly harmless people who have their own brand of woo and think because the group title is "atheist" or the page title is "atheist" they will get a pass.

So again, "atheist" merely means "off" on god claims. It does not make us lock step sheep. I isn't a cult or gang, and it doesn't mean even with non violent harmless people that they will get a pass from scrutiny.
Yes, and what else is new?

It's a claim, some of us are always making. Atheism simply means not believiing. What makes you think that many words transporting that same simple message will make a change?

Why do you even care that much what these people think if they aren't able to get a simple message?
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
umm what exactly are we discussing here?
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

Farfleglarb itcuomo ipsed glarf!
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(December 24, 2015 at 9:17 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Farfleglarb itcuomo ipsed glarf!

Google translate says that is icelandic, but sounds same in english
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

(December 24, 2015 at 8:57 pm)abaris Wrote: Yes, and what else is new?

It's a claim, some of us are always making. Atheism simply means not believiing. What makes you think that many words transporting that same simple message will make a change?

Why do you even care that much what these people think if they aren't able to get a simple message?

You don't post stuff like this for the veterans, you post it for newbie atheists and newbie theists. Now certainly you are welcome to post your own threads if you think different or better tactics will work. Or you can keep posting here. But yea, I do care because this planet I live on is full of nuts, and sure while you cant get rid of all of them, saying something is an act of management to keep the weeds from spreading.

I am sure that is also why the owners of this website started it, not only to give atheists a voice, but to also engage bad claims and bad logic in the world.
Quote:run into weirdos mainly late teens or earily 20 males who will come to an atheist page posting all sorts of bizarre crap.

You know, Bri, they could just be crazy.

That's prime time for the onset of schizophrenia.
If you're telling me I have to stop biting the heads off chickens I might have to rethink things.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What does Sam Harris mean by saying that religions are failed sciences? FlatAssembler 18 1086 January 23, 2024 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Does forming an atheist community pose a risk to becoming a religion? yogamaster 42 4653 June 22, 2019 at 11:45 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Not religious doesn't necessarily mean atheist John V 99 17554 November 8, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Martian Mermaid
  ☢The Theistic Response➼ to Atheists saying, "It Doesn't mean God Did it" The Joker 195 22946 November 24, 2016 at 7:30 pm
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Does anybody wear Atheist Clothing? Spooky 32 7185 May 26, 2015 at 9:34 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Apathetic and Atheist, What does it even matter? LivingNumbers6.626 4 1907 November 21, 2014 at 12:25 am
Last Post: dyresand
  "Science does not offer one guidance for how to live" <---- WRONG. Mudhammam 13 3234 July 22, 2014 at 8:39 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  The Golden Rule ? Sense or Bullshit? Magnum 92 35841 July 26, 2013 at 11:41 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Does your family know that you are an atheist? Poetess 39 9123 April 28, 2012 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: Blackbox
  What meaning does love have to an atheist? rybak303 45 16639 August 17, 2010 at 8:03 pm
Last Post: Entropist