Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Argument Against Supernatural Causation
An Argument Against Supernatural Causation
An interesting and I think sound philosophical argument that indicates that immaterial or supernatural causation is incoherent nonsense.

1. Introduction

2. Cartesian Dualism

3. Understanding Causation

4. Ruling Out Supernatural Causation

5. Putting the Supernatural Into Space: A Futile Move

6. Implications for Theism

He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
RE: An Argument Against Supernatural Causation
Hi Caecilian,

Thanx for the post on Jaegwon Kim's argument.

It seems to me that Jaegwon Kim is boldly defining causality as a temporal-spatial relationship in the traditional dimensions we know. What if reality has additional dimensions, hidden from our observation, where souls reside and where trajectories through these additional dimensions pair event A to event B in such a way that A neccessitates B? Than it would look like magical or supernatural causation to us, wouldn't it? How can Kim rule that out?
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
Faith is illogical - fr0d0
(June 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: Hi Caecilian,

Thanx for the post on Jaegwon Kim's argument.

It seems to me that Jaegwon Kim is boldly defining causality as a temporal-spatial relationship in the traditional dimensions we know. What if reality has additional dimensions, hidden from our observation, where souls reside and where trajectories through these additional dimensions pair event A to event B in such a way that A neccessitates B? Than it would look like magical or supernatural causation to us, wouldn't it? How can Kim rule that out?

Hmmm...Interesting objection, but I don't think it works. Heres why:

Lets call the dimension that supernatural causation occurs in X. Souls etc are non-spatial, but they are X-dimensional. The causal trajectory goes from A to B through dimension X. Bear in mind that the causal traffic needs to be 2-way. Minds affect bodies and vice versa.

Okay, for that to work then ordinary matter also has to be X-dimensional (as well as spatial of course). Otherwise we have the same argument again, only applying to dimension X rather than space. Thus X-dimensionality is a natural property of natural objects, as well as being a property of supernatural stuff.

And once we establish that, I'd suggest that we're back on the slippery slope to materialist monism. If natural objects are X-dimensional, and causation can occur X-dimensionally, then surely dimension X comes under the purview of science. Okay, we can't detect dimension X right now, but if we can transmit causation through it then it should be possible to do so, at least in theory.

Theres also the question of whether natural objects can affect other natural objects via dimension X rather than via space. If so, then where the hell is this x-dimensional causation? If not, why not?
He who desires to worship God must harbor no childish illusions about the matter but bravely renounce his liberty and humanity.
Mikhail Bakunin

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything
Friedrich Nietzsche
(June 28, 2010 at 5:20 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: It seems to me that Jaegwon Kim is boldly defining causality as a temporal-spatial relationship in the traditional dimensions we know. What if reality has additional dimensions, hidden from our observation, where souls reside and where trajectories through these additional dimensions pair event A to event B in such a way that A neccessitates B? Than it would look like magical or supernatural causation to us, wouldn't it? How can Kim rule that out?

I agree with you in that Kim's chain of reasoning has flaws.
But by the same argument: How could we rule the existence of god out? I think the burden of proof lies on the other side: A materialistic view explains our behavior very well (and better each day) - so why do we need the concept of souls or of god?
If anyone can come up with physical evidence for a soul, I will believe in its existence - otherwise no!
(June 28, 2010 at 5:50 pm)Caecilian Wrote: Hmmm...Interesting objection, but I don't think it works. Heres why:

Lets call the dimension that supernatural causation occurs in X. Souls etc are non-spatial, but they are X-dimensional. The causal trajectory goes from A to B through dimension X. Bear in mind that the causal traffic needs to be 2-way. Minds affect bodies and vice versa.

Okay, for that to work then ordinary matter also has to be X-dimensional (as well as spatial of course). Otherwise we have the same argument again, only applying to dimension X rather than space. Thus X-dimensionality is a natural property of natural objects, as well as being a property of supernatural stuff.

And once we establish that, I'd suggest that we're back on the slippery slope to materialist monism. If natural objects are X-dimensional, and causation can occur X-dimensionally, then surely dimension X comes under the purview of science. Okay, we can't detect dimension X right now, but if we can transmit causation through it then it should be possible to do so, at least in theory.

Theres also the question of whether natural objects can affect other natural objects via dimension X rather than via space. If so, then where the hell is this x-dimensional causation? If not, why not?
It happens to be so that string theory, an as of yet unfalisifiable yet mainstream theory among theoretical physicists, predicts that there are additional spatial dimensions to the three spatial dimensions known to us. It has invented a thing called Kaluza-Klein compactification to explain why these spatial dimensions are not visible to us. So according to string theory, you are describing the very nature of our reality. Indeed normal matter and nature share these dimensions as you describe. If the causal chain is playing out in these dimensions it is undetectable for us. So in fact this ALREADY IS under the scrutiny of science and defined as a natural property. This shows that the distinction between natural and supernatural is not that relevant in Kim's argument.

IMO it is foolish of Kim to proof a negative, i.e. that the supernatural can be ruled out by a logical argument. But that is exactly what he does. Also I can imagine other approaches in attacking his claim, for in the realm of speculation all is possible.
(June 28, 2010 at 5:51 pm)Atheist_named_Christian Wrote: I agree with you in that Kim's chain of reasoning has flaws.
But by the same argument: How could we rule the existence of god out? I think the burden of proof lies on the other side: A materialistic view explains our behavior very well (and better each day) - so why do we need the concept of souls or of god?
If anyone can come up with physical evidence for a soul, I will believe in its existence - otherwise no!
You're right, we can't rule out the existence of the supernatural. But when we have not a shred of evidence to look that way, it is futile to fabulate about it. For, given the time to do so, I could fabulate a surplus of quadrazillion irrelevant supernatural alternatives, but would have no clue on what basis to choose one.
"I'm like a rabbit suddenly trapped, in the blinding headlights of vacuous crap" - Tim Minchin in "Storm"
Christianity is perfect bullshit, christians are not - Purple Rabbit, honouring CS Lewis
(June 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm)Purple Rabbit Wrote: It happens to be so that string theory, an as of yet unfalisifiable yet mainstream theory among theoretical physicists, predicts that there are additional spatial dimensions to the three spatial dimensions known to us. It has invented a thing called Kaluza-Klein compactification to explain why these spatial dimensions are not visible to us. So according to string theory, you are describing the very nature of our reality. Indeed normal matter and nature share these dimensions as you describe. If the causal chain is playing out in these dimensions it is undetectable for us. So in fact this ALREADY IS under the scrutiny of science and defined as a natural property. This shows that the distinction between natural and supernatural is not that relevant in Kim's argument.

IMO it is foolish of Kim to proof a negative, i.e. that the supernatural can be ruled out by a logical argument. But that is exactly what he does. Also I can imagine other approaches in attacking his claim, for in the realm of speculation all is possible.

The first section of your post seems to me to point towards Kim's argument being valid- extra dimensions don't help for more or less the same reasons that spatializing the soul doesn't help.

I agree that it isn't a knockdown argument, but then we really don't have any knockdown philosophical arguments against theism. Its a philosophical argument that, in practice, would force the theist into increasingly absurd and arbitrary speculation to defend their position. In my intro I said that it 'indicates' (note: not 'proves') that supernatural causation is incoherent; I think thats a fair description.

Imo there is no one 'master argument' against the theist position. There are philosophical arguments- this one, various non-cognitivist arguments, various arguments re the conflicting attributes of god- that are more or less effective. There are also empirical arguments- arguments coming out of evolutionary theory, archaelogy and textual analysis- that are more or less effective. Its the cumulative weight of the philosophical and empirical arguments, rather than one argument in particular, that makes theism untenable.
Mikhail Bakunin

Friedrich Nietzsche
(June 30, 2010 at 5:02 am)Caecilian Wrote: The first section of your post seems to me to point towards Kim's argument being valid- extra dimensions don't help for more or less the same reasons that spatializing the soul doesn't help.
Quite the contrary. It shows that Kim's argument is invalidated by string theory because in string theory there are other spatial dimensions that (in principle) can "carry" causal chains undetectable for us.
(June 30, 2010 at 5:02 am)Caecilian Wrote: I agree that it isn't a knockdown argument, but then we really don't have any knockdown philosophical arguments against theism. Its a philosophical argument that, in practice, would force the theist into increasingly absurd and arbitrary speculation to defend their position. In my intro I said that it 'indicates' (note: not 'proves') that supernatural causation is incoherent; I think thats a fair description.

Imo there is no one 'master argument' against the theist position. There are philosophical arguments- this one, various non-cognitivist arguments, various arguments re the conflicting attributes of god- that are more or less effective. There are also empirical arguments- arguments coming out of evolutionary theory, archaelogy and textual analysis- that are more or less effective. Its the cumulative weight of the philosophical and empirical arguments, rather than one argument in particular, that makes theism untenable.
It seems to me that all of your arguments plead to materialism, even the philosophical ones, which makes them more than weak.
(July 3, 2010 at 4:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote: It seems to me that all of your arguments plead to materialism, even the philosophical ones, which makes them more than weak.
Even if one accepts that this is a plea for materialism, it does not follow that an argumment therefore becomes "weak".
(July 3, 2010 at 4:41 am)Purple Rabbit Wrote:
(July 3, 2010 at 4:28 am)fr0d0 Wrote: It seems to me that all of your arguments plead to materialism, even the philosophical ones, which makes them more than weak.
Even if one accepts that this is a plea for materialism, it does not follow that an argumment therefore becomes "weak".
What, I have to make a case for the non materialism of God? To do that I'd have to first destroy the God contruct and re-invent him as material. You're not addressing the subject here.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] An Argument Against Hedonistic Moral Realism SenseMaker007 25 2947 June 19, 2019 at 7:21 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argument against Intelligent Design Jrouche 27 3134 June 2, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Testing a Hypothesis about the Supernatural Bahana 103 16309 June 18, 2018 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: SteveII
  The Argument Against God's Existence From God's Imperfect Choice Edwardo Piet 53 8025 June 4, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 13748 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68408 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supernatural isn't a useful concept Rhizomorph13 85 11562 November 12, 2016 at 3:15 am
Last Post: Ignorant
  If a supernatural intelligence did create the universe..... maestroanth 12 2062 April 20, 2016 at 8:36 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Let's play with the concept of 'Supernatural' ErGingerbreadMandude 13 2119 March 22, 2016 at 4:01 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  2 Birds, 1 Stone: An argument against free will and Aquinas' First Way Mudhammam 1 1152 February 20, 2016 at 8:02 am
Last Post: ignoramus