Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 5:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Holiday for Atheism
A Holiday for Atheism
I was thinking about answering that if Kwanzaa were as big a money maker as Xmas, it would get a lot more play. But it occurred to me that many of us don’t celebrate Xmas wither. That’s where the X comes in.

There’s no special day for atheists to celebrate. Then I remembered something TheRocketSergeon said. atheism should be the norm. It is the norm and having a special day for it would be like having a special day for people who have two opposing thumbs.

What is the purpose of having special days—besides making money? The purpose is to remind us of things.

When I was a child in Washington, DC, we had a day called Human Kindness Day. One year Stevie Wonder did a concert on that day. A riot broke out.

It really doesn’t matter if we celebrate special days, but if we could take those principles and that joy and generosity and use it throughout the year, then things would be different. Of course, in a capitalist’s society nothing has value unless it makes money for somebody, so I guess I’m preaching for a lost cause.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: A Holiday for Atheism
My first thought was that it would be nice if people didn't have to be prompted to do positive things or demonstrate kindness...the cynic in me says that people are either inclined towards these things, or not.

But, generous people inevitably become distracted with the business of living at times and may appreciate being reminded; perhaps they want to do more, and benefit from designated days in which to focus their efforts.
I like 7/4. Gives me the perfect excuse to blow things up. Always been my favorite.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(December 28, 2015 at 12:23 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: I like 7/4. Gives me the perfect excuse to blow things up. Always been my favorite.

Well, I was born on 7/2, so I always thought the fireworks were for me. If you call me arrogant, I'll put a firecracker in your windows cookies.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
(December 28, 2015 at 11:15 am)Thena323 Wrote: My first thought was that it would be nice if people didn't have to be prompted to do positive things or demonstrate kindness...the cynic in me says that people are either inclined towards these things, or not.

But, generous people inevitably become distracted with the business of living at times and may appreciate being reminded; perhaps they want to do more, and benefit from designated days in which to focus their efforts.

The cynic in you is rarely surprised at how things turn out. 

But people need prompting wear seatbelts (which save their lives, ffs) so reminding them that it's time to do something nice is necessary.
TBH, the only reason Christmas gets the clout it does is because Christians dominate, and you can retail to them.

No matter what holiday you promote or the original intent behind it, people will gradually move to giving to people who don't necessarily need gifts anyway.

Which isn't to say I'm against holidays. I love holidays. I believe we should have seasonal celebrations and "keep" a season where it belongs - with seasonal foods and such. None of this "Christmas in July" shit.

It wouldn't hurt for more of us to learn to move with the rhythms of the planet we live on. Let charities handle asking for money and distributing it. That's what they're there for - to prod people properly.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
Let's celebrate Darwin's Birthday.  2-12-1809

Fuck the jesus freaks.
My group already does that. It's pretty neat. We wear hats.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
(December 28, 2015 at 2:28 pm)Gawdzilla Wrote:
(December 28, 2015 at 11:15 am)Thena323 Wrote: My first thought was that it would be nice if people didn't have to be prompted to do positive things or demonstrate kindness...the cynic in me says that people are either inclined towards these things, or not.

The cynic in you is rarely surprised at how things turn out. 

But people need prompting wear seatbelts (which save their lives, ffs) so reminding them that it's time to do something nice is necessary.

I know. I kind of expressed that in the second half of my post. Smile
(December 28, 2015 at 2:36 pm)thesummerqueen Wrote: My group already does that. It's pretty neat. We wear hats.

Pictures?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spreading Holiday Jeer. Gawdzilla Sama 0 296 October 15, 2023 at 4:30 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Holiday Greetings Lek 16 1540 December 25, 2022 at 6:39 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Holiday Wish-Lists Athene 0 449 November 11, 2019 at 2:51 am
Last Post: Athene
  It's time for a holiday song thread. brewer 26 2142 December 2, 2018 at 6:08 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Holiday mash-ups? Gawdzilla Sama 5 335 February 18, 2018 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  The U.S. Virgin Islands Will Pay You US$300 If You Holiday There In 2017 ReptilianPeon 0 561 January 28, 2017 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ReptilianPeon
  How was your holiday? BrokenQuill92 10 923 December 6, 2016 at 11:00 am
Last Post: c172
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2100 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Yes, it is a holiday Foxaèr 21 2488 December 25, 2015 at 6:35 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Favorite Holiday Videos Kitty Galore 7 1341 December 7, 2015 at 5:05 pm
Last Post: Aroura