Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scalia, Religious Neutrality
Scalia, Religious Neutrality
Quote " To tell you the truth there is no place for that in our constitutional tradition. Where did that come from?" he said. "To be sure, you can't favor one denomination over another but can't favor religion over non-religion?"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...TE=DEFAULT
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Scalia, Religious Neutrality
(January 2, 2016 at 8:29 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Quote " To tell you the truth there is no place for that in our constitutional tradition. Where did that come from?" he said. "To be sure, you can't favor one denomination over another but can't favor religion over non-religion?"

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...TE=DEFAULT

Thomas Jefferson, "whence arises the morality of the atheist? It is idol to say as some do, that no such thing exists". I am sure that Jefferson if alive today would tell that asshole he has no right to serve on the bench with that stupid logic.

"No religious test" is in the United States Constitution's oath of office.
@scotus  is their twitter page. I'd recommend anyone reading this to give Scalia a history lesson, he needs it. EDIT, hold on, lots of fake pages, let me see if I can find the official one.
You have to be kidding me.

This is the same idiot who voted against gay marriage, citing a load of ludicrous reasons.

How can this guy be allowed to remain in this position with such obviously unconstitutional views?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(January 2, 2016 at 10:24 pm)robvalue Wrote: You have to be kidding me.

This is the same idiot who voted against gay marriage, citing a load of ludicrous reasons.

How can this guy be allowed to remain in this position with such obviously unconstitutional views?

Absent a high crime or misdemeanor, SC Justices cannot be removed from office, constitutionally.

I can't wait until he's no longer a Supreme Court justice. I'd love to see him retire, but I doubt he will unless a Republican wins.
(January 3, 2016 at 12:13 am)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:
(January 2, 2016 at 10:24 pm)robvalue Wrote: You have to be kidding me.

Absent a high crime or misdemeanor, SC Justices cannot be removed from office, constitutionally.

I see thanks. Surely this is ridiculous? In England we have similarly unelected House of Lords members, who are probably just as hard to remove.

It's scary they're not even required to understand the constitution...
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Did you know that Pennsylvania is the fifth most corrupt state in the US? I also heard that if you're an atheist in PA, you can't hold an elected office. I'm not sure how true that is, but if so, I call bullshit.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
I believe that it's now illegal to be refused office on the grounds that you are an atheist. It's all rather complex, but I heard Matt D talk about it and he said that even though the laws still exist in some states and won't be struck down, they just don't apply anymore as court rulings supersede them.

(Someone please correct me if this is incorrect.)

Of course, there's the practical problem of Americans in general not trusting atheists. As "our" numbers rise and the stigma lessens, hopefully this will eventually stop being so much of an issue.

Index of my best videos
https://twitter.com/USSupremeCourt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Net Neutrality to be killed around Thanksgiving Cecelia 27 3330 December 15, 2017 at 2:34 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah