Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:46 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Musicians today are fake
Musicians today are fake
They do not seem to feel what they are singing.

I am watching this award show on tv right now, have no idea what award show it is, but there is this young guy singing about pain and loss, but he's smiling while he sings. He is not making me believe that he is feeling what he is singing.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
RE: Musicians today are fake
(January 6, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Kitan Wrote: They do not seem to feel what they are singing.

I am watching this award show on tv right now,

Ah, I believe I found your mistake. Corporate sponsored nonsense is not "musicians today". I've long given up on TV
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

You only just noticed this?
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(January 6, 2016 at 10:31 pm)Kitan Wrote: They do not seem to feel what they are singing.

I am watching this award show on tv right now, have no idea what award show it is, but there is this young guy singing about pain and loss, but he's smiling while he sings.  He is not making me believe that he is feeling what he is singing.

I had a theory about this.

I think it was easier to be cool and mysterious in the days when rock stars were a blurry image on a screen and their lives weren't so transparent.

These days rock stars are on HD television, they're put on reality TV shows, plus pain and loss has been over marketed and is therefore now mocked since everyone stopped listening to emo music.

Or maybe you're just getting old and bitter and I'm agreeing with you about this topic because I'm old and bitter and the new music sounds like shit to me compared to the old stuff.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

To be fair, the music industry has always been fraudulent in one way or another, whether it was black musicians singing like white people so they could actually make some money or white people playing black music so they could get filthy rich.
(January 6, 2016 at 10:45 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: To be fair, the music industry has always been fraudulent in one way or another, whether it was black musicians singing like white people so they could actually make some money or white people playing black music so they could get filthy rich.

I don't think black people or white people singing like each other is fraudulent, or using each others styles as an influence. 

Led Zepplin though, their case might be considered to be fraudulent, that level of copying.  One thing I can say for them is that I think they made better songs than all the guys they were ripping off though.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

As fake as the Partridge Family ?
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(January 6, 2016 at 11:08 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(January 6, 2016 at 10:45 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote: To be fair, the music industry has always been fraudulent in one way or another, whether it was black musicians singing like white people so they could actually make some money or white people playing black music so they could get filthy rich.

I don't think black people or white people singing like each other is fraudulent, or using each others styles as an influence. 

Led Zepplin though, their case might be considered to be fraudulent, that level of copying.  One thing I can say for them is that I think they made better songs than all the guys they were ripping off though.

I was referring more specifically to the hijacking of rock and roll by white record producers and musicians that was carried out during the 40's and 50's, and it's not the emulation or merging of styles that annoys me, it's that no one knows the name Sister Rosetta Tharp while everyone knows the name Elvis Presley. Just pisses me off that credit isn't given where it's due, that the pioneers who struggled so much get so little recognition. And as for black musicians singing like white people, I was again referring to the mid 20th century, where yes, many black artists disguised their voices so there was a chance that white people would buy the records, I'm not holding it against the artists obviously, they were trying to earn a living, but it's a compromise that annoys me.
Seems pretty genuine to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7OQbAht5zE

Seeing him for the 2nd time live near the end of this month.
Good thing I don't listen to that kind of commercial music. I only like Trance, so I'm never dissapointed. Classic Trance, once you get used to it, is all the music you need.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I learned something I didn't know before today. Brian37 18 2711 January 16, 2018 at 7:26 am
Last Post: I_am_not_mafia
  Musicians of AF, show us your gear! Rev. Rye 13 1349 January 5, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  You Can't Fake the Funk Thumpalumpacus 13 1023 June 25, 2016 at 4:15 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  What are some Good Atheist Musicians? Shining_Finger 35 7256 October 5, 2015 at 4:23 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Your top three rock/pop musicians Razzle 75 12875 April 30, 2015 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Razzle
  Performers vs Musicians...........OP ED Brian37 12 1582 February 13, 2015 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Alex K