Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 4:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your top three rock/pop musicians
Your top three rock/pop musicians
I suggest we exclude The Beatles because they'd be in lots of people's lists.

Mine are, in no particular order:

The Pixies - Major inspiration behind the grunge movement. Extremely underrated in their native USA, which is OK, we Brits love them enough for the both of us. 

Belle and Sebastian - Happy wistful, not The Smiths-wistful. Scottish but sing with Northern English accents for some reason.

Placebo - Angsty but not in a godawful commercial teen pop-rock way.

"Faith is a state of openness or trust. To have faith is like when you trust yourself to the water. You don't grab hold of the water when you swim, because if you do you will become stiff and tight in the water, and sink. You have to relax, and the attitude of faith is the very opposite of clinging, and holding on. In other words, a person who is fanatic in matters of religion, and clings to certain ideas about the nature of God and the universe becomes a person who has no faith at all. Instead they are holding tight. But the attitude of faith is to let go, and become open to truth, whatever it might turn out to be."

Alan Watts
RE: Your top three rock/pop musicians
If we're restricting it to musicians specifically:

-Mark Knopfler

-George Thorogood

-Stevie Ray Vaughn

Not easy keeping it to three.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
In a VERY particular order - #1 - (and the best band of all time bar none) Led Zeppelin

#2 - Incubus, 'nuff said.

#3 - Jason Mraz, but only the old live stuff, just him an Toca Rivera on bongos. I could listen to his live CDs endlessly.

"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Quote:In a VERY particular order - #1 - (and the best band of all time bar none) Led Zeppelin
I take it, then, that the rampant plagiarism doesn't bother you?
Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(April 26, 2015 at 7:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I take it, then, that the rampant plagiarism doesn't bother you?
Boru

It does. But so does The Beatles and Queen. They did just as many covers as most bands, and they were cunts for not crediting the originals. It taints them for me, but I loved them before I knew about it, and their songs are still great.
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
John Petrucci Guitar
John Myung Bass
Guthrie Govan Guitar
“Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?”
Epicurus
I get goose bumps when I hear More Than a Woman, Bee Gees version.

Same with Karen Carpenter singing Close to You.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Hendrix.

I don't need two more.
In order

Jimi
[youtube]c6luvm1LGaE[/youtube]

Jack/White Stripes
[youtube]fTH71AAxXmM[/youtube]

And newcomers Alabama Shakes
[youtube]Le-3MIBxQTw[/youtube]

Runner up: Coheed
[youtube]GZaEcRWD4nU[/youtube]
I can't remember where this verse is from, I think it got removed from canon:

"I don't hang around with mostly men because I'm gay. It's because men are better than women. Better trained, better equipped...better. Just better! I'm not gay."

For context, this is the previous verse:

"Hi Jesus" -robvalue
Am I the only one who thinks Hendrix is massively overrated? Same with Pink Floyd. And Nirvana. (I'll stop before everyone kicks off)

Meh.

Mine:
Black Sabbath - Basically invented heavy metal. Doesn't need much more said. Except that they're Brummies like me.
Elvis - The fucking King.
Ed Sheeran - I can see it now. "Ed fucking Sheeran? Are you mad?" No. Really, this guy is a class act. I'm calling it right now, he'll go down in history this lad.

Honorable mention: Ylvis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1030 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Abba return to UK top 10 after 40 years... Duty 10 1195 September 11, 2021 at 6:07 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Moving On UP....... To hard rock. Brian37 20 1410 October 6, 2020 at 1:32 pm
  DC ROCK By Brian 37 Brian37 23 4211 May 29, 2020 at 2:54 pm
  "I Love Rock And Roll" co writer dies COVID-19 Brian37 3 432 March 30, 2020 at 6:53 pm
  Heart Of Rock And Roll Brian37 18 2099 February 28, 2020 at 7:23 pm
  25 cents and a puff of 80s Rock.... Brian37 17 1753 October 27, 2019 at 6:12 am
  Unrealistic images of female rock stars. Brian37 13 930 October 5, 2019 at 3:14 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Top Jazz artist I love.. Brian37 8 864 December 9, 2018 at 9:59 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Musicians of AF, show us your gear! Rev. Rye 13 1333 January 5, 2018 at 10:58 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus