Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you like your job and/or career?
Do you like your job and/or career?
I am filled with dread almost every day thinking about working.
I take zoloft, which helps cut down on the anxiety quite a bit, which is directly related to my job, that is clear. It's not so much the career, but the company I work for.

I fucking hate it. I am 53 and have 24 years with the company, so I'd be a moron to quit right now. The only solution is to win the lottery.

Do you like what you do? Tolerate? Dislike? Hate with the fiery passion of the sun?
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson
RE: Do you like your job and/or career?
Love it.   I get paid to watch other things work, and my vacations are 6 months long.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(January 9, 2016 at 1:55 pm)Mermaid Wrote: I am filled with dread almost every day thinking about working.
I take zoloft, which helps cut down on the anxiety quite a bit, which is directly related to my job, that is clear. It's not so much the career, but the company I work for.

I fucking hate it. I am 53 and have 24 years with the company, so I'd be a moron to quit right now. The only solution is to win the lottery.

Do you like what you do? Tolerate? Dislike? Hate with the fiery passion of the sun?

I'm a security guard in a place in the middle of the countryside, sometimes I wonder if the place even needs guarding.

The stress level of the job is pretty much 0 out of 10.  We get good break times, varied jobs, it's in the countryside so a patrol is just like a nice walk through the countryside, there's badgers, cats, foxes and a family of pheasant birds who the truck drivers feed in the yard. 

The boredom levels could reach levels of causing insanity if you don't break the rules, but everyone in the company does break the rules which means we sit around watching youtube, films and reading books a lot.  So the boredom is about a 7 out of 10.

A few times there's been some heated political or religious arguments, all the black people working there seem to be hardcore Christian, every Pakistani seems to be Muslim.

I want to move to a job that gets more money soon, I'm 31 and I've been working in this job, and security overall for about half a year.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

I have never liked a job. It has always been tolerance, dislike, or fiery hate.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
It has its moments but is mainly mind crushing tedium and a struggle with IT that has been "upgraded" so that outlook now takes ten minutes to send an e-mail and opening a word document takes the same amount of time it takes to make a cup of tea.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(January 9, 2016 at 2:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I have never liked a job. It has always been tolerance, dislike, or fiery hate.

Pretty much same with me, sort of.

I think what you like can be dependant on what you're used to. 

If I had been to a lifestyle like a millionaire then started doing security work I'd probably be suicidal with boredom, but I had gone from doing a job that was backbreaking high paced labour to doing a more relaxed job of security work so I pretty much liked it, I'm at the stage now where I'm getting complacent to doing it and I'm just tolerating it, sometimes I remind myself how tough my old job was and it makes me feel better.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(January 9, 2016 at 2:17 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I have never liked a job. It has always been tolerance, dislike, or fiery hate.

If it was fun they wouldn't have to pay you.
People who play games for a living earn practically nothing.[/sacasm]

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

In my working days I had many jobs. Liked some, hated some. The last two jobs (spanning 30 years) I liked very much. Retired now, it's not necessarily all it's cracked up to be either. But I find ways to make it purposeful and find some success.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
I've had a borderline love hate relationship working in science. But I have it in my blood, so I would definitely love it. Right now I am mostly writing science and popular science, and I love every second of it.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

I absolutely loved my job for years, so I guess I am lucky that way. (I also work in science). I get paid well so I need to suck it up and count my blessings.
If The Flintstones have taught us anything, it's that pelicans can be used to mix cement.

-Homer Simpson

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What job(s) did you have as a kid? arewethereyet 25 2123 April 25, 2021 at 1:17 am
Last Post: Sal
  My shit ass job just called me back up CarveTheFive 25 1982 May 9, 2020 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: Mr.wizard
  The best job in the world... Gawdzilla Sama 31 2188 April 23, 2019 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  My new job involves :) Megabullshit 17 1473 April 10, 2019 at 2:41 pm
Last Post: Megabullshit
  What is job like in Motorcycle Showroom ? Megabullshit 13 886 April 1, 2019 at 1:46 am
Last Post: Megabullshit
  Surreal day on the job...more of the same on the way. arewethereyet 75 5224 March 7, 2019 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Godscreated
  You had one job! Mr.Obvious 7 1231 December 7, 2018 at 8:31 am
Last Post: viocjit
  What Was Your Sex Education Like? Jade-Green Stone 30 2741 October 21, 2018 at 10:39 pm
Last Post: chimp3
  90% of my job is routine... GUBU 7 698 September 6, 2018 at 1:23 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are you anything like your parent(s)? Foxaèr 27 2920 July 29, 2018 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: vorlon13