Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 8:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Seach Engine Shenanigans: Which search engine actually delivers the real news links?
Seach Engine Shenanigans: Which search engine actually delivers the real news links?
I've been using DuckDuckGo because I really don't like the way Google tracks everything I do online.

Today I found out for the first time, after watching last night's broadcast of The Atheist Experience, that the people who posed as those who wanted to buy aborted fetal tissue (a crime) and presented bogus videos as evidence against Planned Parenthood are now themselves under indictment, while PP is off the hook (good news, sometimes the system still works!). http://www.atheist-experience.com/

The above gave me something to go search for more information on.

I immediately wondered why I don't recall seeing that story before now. True, I don't watch the idiot box, and I may have been distracted while scanning the NYTimes that day, so I went to my usual browser DuckDuckGo and here are my search results for the string entered. You may find fault with search string, but I still think the results were interesting. All regional Conservative (such as Tennessee) sites, or radically conservative sites listed this story, but no search results were displayed for apparently liberal sites:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=grand+jury+ind...deo&t=ffsb

That was DuckDuckGo. Then I tried the exact same search string (good or bad) on Google, and the search results were remarkably different:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=gra...raud+video

Well how about that, the same search string does produce centrist, or left-of-center sites which published this story, but on Google and not DuckDuckGo! While I have come to prefer DuckDuckGo because I can't stand Google's over-reaching tracking policies and royal anti-consumer attitudes, DDG just demonstrated how it is filtering out search results which involve liberal sites when said sites aren't specifically invoked in your search string - now that's just fucking dirty!
Mr. Hanky loves you!
RE: Seach Engine Shenanigans: Which search engine actually delivers the real news links?
Search engines only report back things related to what it thinks you're interested in. For example if you've been looking for parts for VW car it would be more likely to show stories about the emissions scandal. It may just be that the information they have on you is different for each SE.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Black/White people news thread for all news current, historical, or otherwise. Huggy Bear 77 4007 February 14, 2022 at 2:47 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Guess which party onlinebiker 20 1614 August 17, 2021 at 12:56 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Which comes first? onlinebiker 31 2016 January 27, 2020 at 10:21 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Bezos links ‘blackmailing’ to Khashoggi murder WinterHold 7 1241 February 12, 2019 at 5:46 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Which of these is more dispespectful to "the troops"? ReptilianPeon 65 6283 July 6, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Which fucking moron chooses to wage war on all other major powers at once? Anomalocaris 16 1611 June 1, 2018 at 2:14 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  "News" Which Is Not "News" To Anyone Minimalist 0 526 May 24, 2018 at 6:02 pm
  Search For Leaks Closer To Home Minimalist 0 541 May 1, 2018 at 12:31 pm
  This Actually Seems Reasonable Minimalist 1 243 February 28, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Predictable In A Nation Which Would Elect A Child Molester Minimalist 1 521 November 20, 2017 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: dyresand