Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Silent Hill 2 analysis
Silent Hill 2 analysis
*** Spoiler alert! This video should only be watched by those who have either completed Silent Hill 2, or have no intention of playing it. ***

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's more a work of art than a game, really. It's one that will always be a part of me, and has an atmosphere which may never be rivalled. I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who hasn't played. It's a survival/horror game, which is big on the psychological side.

I found this video series, which analysis in detail what the game may really mean. I've watched several similar things before, but I feel this one is rather special. It seems to hit home with much more startling observations, and gives things a whole new meaning. It makes other analyses I've watched seem rather superficial. It's in 6 parts and I've watched the first 3 now, and I'm quite gobsmacked. If you loved the game, I think you will love this!

EDIT: I want to add that one of the later videos in this analysis series (number 5, I think) has a very distressing scene from a film inserted into it. The scene is totally relevant to the game, but I found it rather disturbing. So, just a heads up.

http://youtu.be/PBQazRX4fF8
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Silent Hill 2 analysis
(February 10, 2016 at 4:22 am)robvalue Wrote: *** Spoiler alert! This video should only be watched by those who have either completed Silent Hill 2, or have no intention of playing it. ***

Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games of all time. It's more a work of art than a game, really. It's one that will always be a part of me, and has an atmosphere which may never be rivalled. I thoroughly recommend it for anyone who hasn't played. It's a survival/horror game, which is big on the psychological side.

I found this video series, which analysis in detail what the game may really mean. I've watched several similar things before, but I feel this one is rather special. It seems to hit home with much more startling observations, and gives things a whole new meaning. It makes other analyses I've watched seem rather superficial. It's in 6 parts and I've watched the first 3 now, and I'm quite gobsmacked. If you loved the game, I think you will love this!

http://youtu.be/PBQazRX4fF8

I'm afraid I'm not a gamer, whatsoever, Rob...but are the video games based on the movie, "Silent Hill"?

And if Yes, did you see said movie, and did you like it?

It was filmed in large part not far from where I live, and one of the buildings in the movie is a well-known landmark
in the city of Hamilton, Ontario...."the Lister Block".

It was built around 1920 and was a hub of activity in downtown Hamilton for decades until it fell into vacancy, and eventually dereliction...was pillaged for its beautiful Art Deco fixtures by thieves, was adored by Urban Explorers, and was used for more than one creepy movie set...until the city finally invested in its restoration, in recent years, after ages of political red tape:

here's how it appeared in the movie:

[Image: lister-block-silent-hill-2006.jpg]

and the exterior of the building, on King William Street...well-known to me:

[Image: 2012_02_4kingwilliamst.jpg]

This is the building, derelict, in the 1990s, how I, personally, best remember it:

[Image: lister_block.jpg]

and how the interior looked at that time:

[Image: Silent+Hill+Inspiration+%282%29.jpg]

this is the Lister Block in the 1940s, when it was still very much in use:

[Image: lister-300.jpg]

and this is the Lister Block, today, finally fully restored, fully occupied and fully in use, once again:

[Image: 70217446.jpg]

interior, today:

[Image: 8728009504_42f6af842b_b.jpg]

If you're interested, full history, here.
It's actually the other way around, the film is based on the game series. The film was OK, I did enjoy it. But considering the unbelievably awesome atmosphere of the games, I feel it fell a bit short. It was a really high bar to be honest, and it may not even have been possible to achieve it. It's hard to explain without having played the games Smile

To be honest, I should probably watch it again with an open mind. I think my ridiculously high standards stopped me from enjoying it, instead of taking it on it's own merits.

Cool pictures there! Yes, that all looks very familiar. Wow, near where you live? Excellent!

There have been many, many Silent Hill games but I feel that none have come close to topping the story and the atmosphere of SH2.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(February 10, 2016 at 7:36 am)robvalue Wrote: It's actually the other way around, the film is based on the game series. The film was OK, I did enjoy it. But considering the unbelievably awesome atmosphere of the games, I feel it fell a bit short. It was a really high bar to be honest, and it may not even have been possible to achieve it. It's hard to explain without having played the games Smile

To be honest, I should probably watch it again with an open mind. I think my ridiculously high standards stopped me from enjoying it, instead of taking it on it's own merits.

Cool pictures there! Yes, that all looks very familiar. Wow, near where you live? Excellent!

There have been many, many Silent Hill games but I feel that none have come close to topping the story and the atmosphere of SH2.

Ah, see, there's my ignorance of video game culture.

I never would have imagined the movie was based on the games, and not vice-versa.  My apologies!

I'm not a particularly huge horror movie buff,
but I replied because Hamilton, Ontario, is both a very heavily industrial city,
but also has lots of gorgeous architecture dating from the 20s and 40s,
and the city has been the filming site for many, many movies...Silent Hill very notably.

It's not far from where I now live,
but in the 90s I lived in Hamilton,
and it's nice to see the old Lister Block finally restored to its former beauty,
and I thought you might be interested given the Silent Hill connection.

if I ever have the opportunity, i will try to check out the game, since you speak so highly of it!!  Smile
That's quite alright Smile Nothing to apologize for.

Yes, that was some interesting info. Thanks! I'm always keen to learn anything more to do with Silent Hill as a whole.

Indeed, if you play one game ever, this has got to be a candidate. The controls are relatively simple, as is the combat. Most of the time you're walking around a map trying to figure out where to go next, while fighting horrible monsters by hitting them with melee weapons or shooting at them. But the real enjoyment is in the atmosphere and the story.

Index of my best videos
(February 10, 2016 at 8:27 am)robvalue Wrote: That's quite alright Smile Nothing to apologize for.

Yes, that was some interesting info. Thanks! I'm always keen to learn anything more to do with Silent Hill as a whole.

Indeed, if you play one game ever, this has got to be a candidate. The controls are relatively simple, as is the combat. Most of the time you're walking around a map trying to figure out where to go next, while fighting horrible monsters by hitting them with melee weapons or shooting at them. But the real enjoyment is in the atmosphere and the story.

That sounds like it would be right up my alley...so to speak!
@MTL,
sorry, this is completely off-topic.
When wife and I did a road trip upstate NY years ago, by the time we crossed Niagra falls into Canada, the sun had already set. We were in the mood for hiking and wine tasting and some nice scenery, but all we saw in the night was chimneys and what looked like refineries. That odious looking place had a name, "Hamilton". After half an hour or so, rather disillusioned, we looked for the first motel we could find in the dark that was still open and checked in and went to bed. The next morning, wife got up and immediately yelled - Alex! Alex! you have got to see this! We hadn't noticed the night before (this was before the time of widespread sat navs) that 1. There was Lake Ontario right in front of us and 2. that our room was actually looking out over the Lake into the most beautiful morning sun. We did a day's worth of hiking through the Balls Falls area, had some nice wine and food and were thoroughly happy campers, never to forget the special charm of Hamilton, Ontario again. That is all Big Grin
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

(February 10, 2016 at 8:33 am)Alex K Wrote: @MTL,
sorry, this is completely off-topic.
When wife and I did a road trip upstate NY years ago, by the time we crossed Niagra falls into Canada, the sun had already set. We were in the mood for hiking and wine tasting and some nice scenery, but all we saw in the night was chimneys and what looked like refineries. That odious looking place had a name, "Hamilton". After half an hour or so,  rather disillusioned, we looked for the first motel we could find in the dark that was still open and checked in and went to bed. The next morning, wife got up and immediately yelled - Alex! Alex! you have got to see this! We hadn't noticed the night before (this was before the time of widespread sat navs) that 1. There was Lake Ontario right in front of us and 2. that our room was actually looking out over the Lake into the most beautiful morning sun. We did a day's worth of hiking through the Balls Falls area, had some nice wine and food and were thoroughly happy campers, never to forget the special charm of Hamilton, Ontario again. That is all Big Grin

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, here!

Balls Falls is a beautiful spot...did you see both the upper and lower falls?

In the springtime, the nearby White Meadows Sugarbush has a pancake house open for breakfast
and you can pick up a bottle of real maple syrup or take a tour and sample Canadian Maple Taffy,
made right in the snow in front of you;

and in addition to Niagara Falls,
the entire Niagara Escarpment is riddled with waterways, lots of waterfalls and beautiful scenic lookouts,
and more wineries, tours and tastings than you can shake a stick at...

(make sure not to miss the Grape and Wine festival in the Autumn)

[Image: notl-header-wineries.jpg?Width=660]

If you missed them, on your next visit, check out the tiny but worthwhile village of Jordan,
halfway between Niagara Falls and Hamilton
...it's lovely year round, but you might find it novel in the winter, during the Ice Wine festival:

[Image: IMG_0778.jpg]

and also the historic town of Niagara-On-The-Lake

[Image: niagara-on-the-lake.jpg]

[Image: niagara_on_the_lake1.jpg?w=1200&h=500&crop=1]

and Port Dalhousie, with it's pier, on the old Welland Canal, in St. Catharines,
and its historic carousel, rides still just 5 cents:

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

Now, admittedly, Hamilton, from the QEW highway, does look like something out of an industrial nightmare,
when all you can see is Dofasco Steel:

[Image: image]

...however the industry is Hamilton's history, its heart and soul, and a huge part of the city's gritty, blue-collar identity.

Indeed, locals refer to their town as "The Hammer".

But the city has some wonderful green spaces, conservation areas, wildlife, and waterways,
especially along the edge of the Escarpment:

[Image: dundas-city-of-hamilton-dan-banko.jpg]

....and also, as I say, lots of history, and beautiful old homes;
The "Durand" neighborhood is historic and worth a look.

There is Dundurn Castle, and Whitehern, both open for tours;

there is a thriving student life, between McMaster University and Mohawk College,
with a weekend party scene, food and drink in Hess Village:

[Image: kubes_steel_aess_ornamental_inlay_hess_village.jpg]

there is interesting shopping and events like music festivals, art crawls, and such, along James St,
antique shops, bistros, pubs and cafes along Locke Street:

[Image: 146393_3.jpg]

...and a thriving music scene.

Glad you liked it here....hope you can make it back, sometime!!!
Wow...

When I finished these analysis videos, they blew my mind! The guy makes very convincing arguments, and I think he's cracked what the developers actually intended the messages to be. I can't believe the amount of stuff I missed, even obsessively playing the game over and over.

It was done so incredibly subtly, but with a massive amount of effort... It's strange to think that almost no one will get it! I can only assume they are fine with that, and of course everyone can interpret it any way they want.

Index of my best videos
Looking to be a really interesting series; thanks for sharing.
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.