Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zika virus/microcephaly/abortion/Brazil
Zika virus/microcephaly/abortion/Brazil
In light of the virus outbreak, the link to microcephaly with the associated medical consequences, and the current abortion laws, a debate on changing the laws in Brazil and other countries is heating up.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/04/world/...-laws.html

http://www.ncregister.com/daily-news/bra...ika-virus/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_Brazil

Personally, I think there needs to be a change. If abortion is legal for anencephaly there need to be a debate/change for consideration for other medical conditions.

Care to weigh in?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
RE: Zika virus/microcephaly/abortion/Brazil
Should be legal, end of.
"Adulthood is like looking both ways before you cross the road, and then getting hit by an airplane"  - sarcasm_only

"Ironically like the nativist far-Right, which despises multiculturalism, but benefits from its ideas of difference to scapegoat the other and to promote its own white identity politics; these postmodernists, leftists, feminists and liberals also use multiculturalism, to side with the oppressor, by demanding respect and tolerance for oppression characterised as 'difference', no matter how intolerable."
- Maryam Namazie

I'm sure despite the Zika virus, the church will do the wrong thing.

I'd almost be surprised if they'd even think spraying for skeeters is a good idea.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(February 14, 2016 at 9:04 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Personally, I think there needs to be a change. If abortion is legal for anencephaly there need to be a debate/change for consideration for other medical conditions.

Definitely. If there's a medical problem, abortion should be legal.

BTW, I wouldn't jump to conclusions that Zika is causing the deformities. Other factors may be involved. It will be interesting to see how far it spreads, as that will be a clue to the cause.
(February 14, 2016 at 11:13 pm)mralstoner Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 9:04 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Personally, I think there needs to be a change. If abortion is legal for anencephaly there need to be a debate/change for consideration for other medical conditions.

BTW, I wouldn't jump to conclusions that Zika is causing the deformities. Other factors may be involved. It will be interesting to see how far it spreads, as that will be a clue to the cause.

You're correct. No conformation evidence yet, only a link. Will that derail the debate? Will the powers in charge state that until cause and effect evidence exists there is no need to consider a change or expand the discussion to other birth defects?
(February 15, 2016 at 8:46 am)mh.brewer Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 11:13 pm)mralstoner Wrote: Definitely. If there's a medical problem, abortion should be legal.

You're correct. No conformation evidence yet, only a link. Will that derail the debate? Will the powers in charge state that until cause and effect evidence exists there is no need to consider a change or expand the discussion to other birth defects?

We should operate on the understanding that we are discussing courses of action that should be considered if one is established.
Obviously if evidence is uncovered it isn't causing the deformities it becomes a moot point.

To be fair I don't think anyone here would assume otherwise but you never know.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
I think that this should open the door for a discussion regarding other birth defects. There are more fatal birth defects than anenchphaly, i.e. Trisomy 18.
(February 14, 2016 at 11:13 pm)mralstoner Wrote:

How many such birth defects were there before Zika?  How many are there now?  Just saying....
(February 15, 2016 at 8:03 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(February 14, 2016 at 11:13 pm)mralstoner Wrote: Definitely. If there's a medical problem, abortion should be legal.

How many such birth defects were there before Zika?  How many are there now?  Just saying....

Just hoping this will open the door for discussion.
Abortion is great.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If Abortion Becomes Illegal onlinebiker 36 2698 May 8, 2022 at 7:01 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Arkansas abortion bill, Roe vs. Wade brewer 23 1194 March 17, 2021 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Who will swallow the Corona virus debt? The rich or the poor? Greatest I am 35 1648 December 1, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Rename the virus. Brian37 43 2136 March 30, 2020 at 9:37 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Abortion Stats - Something doesn't add up. Minimalist 15 1380 November 23, 2018 at 1:29 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Argentina steps closer to legalising abortion pocaracas 0 350 June 14, 2018 at 9:59 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  New Iowa Law Restricts Abortion To Before Most Women Know They're Pregnant The Industrial Atheist 164 23838 May 20, 2018 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  U2 chooses legal abortion over Christianity Foxaèr 11 1603 May 5, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  So Republicunts Are Only Against Abortion For Other People Minimalist 5 1177 April 13, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  SCOTUS Tells Anti-Abortion Nuts To Go Fuck Themselves Minimalist 294 25270 April 11, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: vorlon13