Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:07 am

Poll: Would you eat synthetic meat instead of the meat we get from slaughtered animals?
This poll is closed.
Yes.
63.16%
12 63.16%
No.
10.53%
2 10.53%
I have doubts about whether it would be just as healthy as the meat we eat right now.
10.53%
2 10.53%
I think it would be too expensive and not worth the cost of production.
5.26%
1 5.26%
I think it would be strange, to say the least. Unnatural. I can't imagine eating something grown in a lab.
10.53%
2 10.53%
Total 19 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synthetic meat
Synthetic meat
We might be soon living in a world where we'll have the option to eat artifically grown meat. The health benefits are obvious enough(for me, at least). What are your thoughts on it, though?

Quote:In vitro meat, also called cultured meatsynthetic meatshmeat, is an animal-flesh product that has never been part of a living animal. In the 21st century, several research projects have worked on in vitro meat in the laboratory. The first in vitro beefburger, created by a Dutch team, was eaten at a demonstration for the press in London in August 2013. There remain difficulties to be overcome before in vitro meat becomes commercially available. Cultured meat is prohibitively expensive, but it is expected that the cost could be reduced to compete with that of conventionally obtained meat as technology improves. In vitro meat is also a cultural issue. Some argue that it is less objectionable than traditionally obtained meat because it doesn't involve killing and reduces the risk of animal cruelty, while others disagree with eating meat that has not developed naturally.

Here's a podcast where a CEO of such a company that is in the business of growing cultured meat talks about it at length.

Just listen from the 19 minute mark forward.

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/meat-without-murder

* The wiki quote/link is there for practicality's sake only. The focus of this thread, at least for those unfamiliar with the subject, should be the podcast. Listen to it if you have 40 minutes or so to spare and tell me what you think. I don't think you will regret it.
Synthetic meat
I want synthetic vegetables. I'm a meatatarian.
RE: Synthetic meat
(February 23, 2016 at 10:18 am)KUSA Wrote: I want synthetic vegetables. I'm a meatatarian.

What do you mean, or is this merely a joke?

In case it isn't, the process we're talking about involves growing real cells from animals into large quantities of meat. It's the same meat in every possible way, except it's free of antibiotics and all kinds contaminants you get in the current environment we get our meat from. Also, with cultured meat we will be/are able to modify some of its components like fats to make it even healthier. We're talking about the same taste and the same makeup as classical meat in every relevant way.
In vitro meat, as technical exercise, is amazing.  The idea that it is intended to be (or will ever be) "competitive" with conventional production, however, is absurd.  I think it's shortsighted and wasteful, personally...but there will always be someone chasing a niche. Comfort food for guilty eaters.

There is no credible future for us on this planet without substantial livestock production. Our conscience has to come to terms with that, somehow.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 23, 2016 at 10:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: In vitro meat, as technical exercise, is amazing.  The idea that it is intended to be (or will ever be) "competitive" with conventional production, however, is absurd.  I think it's shortsighted and wasteful, personally...but there will always be someone chasing a niche.  Comfort food for guilty eaters.

Sam conducted a poll on twitter where ~80% said they would switch to it. Of the 20% that said they wouldn't reasons such as these were cited: it's just creepy, it might not be safe, it will be expensive, I'm a vegetarian/vegan.
Synthetic will not have the variety of flavors. I doubt they would make cattle, pig, goat, chicken, fish, frog, turtle, .................
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
(February 23, 2016 at 10:22 am)Rhythm Wrote: In vitro meat, as technical exercise, is amazing.  The idea that it is intended to be (or will ever be) "competitive" with conventional production, however, is absurd.  I think it's shortsighted and wasteful, personally...but there will always be someone chasing a niche.  Comfort food for guilty eaters.

There is no credible future for us on this planet without substantial livestock production.

What exactly do you mean here, I don't understand. Could you elaborate?
(February 23, 2016 at 10:26 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Synthetic will not have the variety of flavors. I doubt they would make cattle, pig, goat, chicken, fish, frog, turtle, .................

From what I've learned so far about it that will definitely not be a problem. It will have all as many flavors as there are animals to take and grow cells from. So how do you figure?
I highly advise those that voted either no or have doubts about how healthy cultured meat would be to listen to the podcast I linked to in the OP, if they want to encounter the opportunity of very possibly having their minds changed on the topic and are interested enough in the possibility of it, if real, to find out more about it.
(February 23, 2016 at 10:27 am)Excited Penguin Wrote:
(February 23, 2016 at 10:26 am)mh.brewer Wrote: Synthetic will not have the variety of flavors. I doubt they would make cattle, pig, goat, chicken, fish, frog, turtle, .................

From what I've learned so far about it that will definitely not be a problem. It will have all as many flavors as there are animals to take and grow cells from. So how do you figure?

And what do they feed the cells? A lot of what the animal tastes like comes from what they eat. Ever had an acorn fed pig? Grass fed vs corn fed beef? What about the non muscle parts I like? They going to have synth cracklin? Fried synth ears? Synth oysters (shell or rocky mtn)?

Edit: Plus how are they going to add different textures?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  is it healthier to eat no meat? Quill01 129 8921 June 18, 2023 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: no one
  Richard Dawkins claims we should eat lab-grown human meat Alexmahone 83 10368 March 18, 2018 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  I saw children doing synthetic biology on the television... ReptilianPeon 9 1874 August 31, 2015 at 1:03 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evolution seen in 'synthetic DNA' frankiej 3 1757 April 20, 2012 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Forsaken
  Evolution seen in 'synthetic DNA' 5thHorseman 3 1648 April 20, 2012 at 3:04 am
Last Post: frankiej
  Scientists create synthetic life. Tiberius 41 22600 June 17, 2010 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: mysoogals
  CNN Gets 'Synthetic Life' Right in the Headlines The_Flying_Skeptic 20 10708 June 2, 2010 at 10:06 am
Last Post: leo-rcc