Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 2:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite book quotes
Favorite book quotes
"As it turns out, Lord Tywin Lannister did not shit gold."

A Storm of Swords- Tyrion pov
RE: Favorite book quotes
Oh I have dozens and dozens! I will post them tonight or tomorrow when I'm not at work
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
History, Stephen said, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

― James Joyce, Ulysses
Plum Island by Nelson DeMille

Quote:“Look… Can I call you Beth?”

“No.

“Look, Detective Penrose, I know you think I’m attracted to you and you probably think I’m coming on to you… and you think this could be awkward…”
She turned her face away and look out at the bay.

I continued, “…this is really hard to say, but… well… you don’t have to worry about that… about me…”

She turned back and looked at me.

I sort of covered my face with my right hand and rubbed my forehead.  I continued as best I could.  “You see… one of those bullets that hit me… God, how do I say this…? Well, it hit me in a funny place, okay?  Now you know.  So we can be sort of like… friends, partners… brother and sister… I guess I mean sister and sister…” I glanced at her and saw she was staring out to sea again.

Finally she spoke.  “I thought you said you were hit in the stomach.”

“There, too.”

“Max said you had a serious lung wound.”

“That, too.”

“Any brain damage?”

“Maybe.”

“And now you want me to believe you’ve been neutered by yet another bullet.”

“It’s nothing a guy would lie about.”

“If the furnace is out, why is there still fire in your eyes?”

“Just a memory, Beth—Can I call you Beth?  A good memory of a time when I could pole-vault over my car.”

She put her hand up to her face, and I couldn’t tell if she was crying or laughing.
Teenaged X-Files obsession + Bermuda Triangle episode + Self-led school research project = Atheist.
We only have babies when we're young enough not to know how grim life turns out.

Cattery Sponge/Nanny Wicked by Gregory Maguire
Favorite book quotes
I have always loved ghost stories since I was a little girl. This particular quote has stuck with me since I read the book in 9th grade. I can't really explain why.

"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.”

-Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
'Madame, why don't you take your fat-ass husband, your ghastly hairdo, your conspicuous consumption of the Gross National Product, not to mention the certainly ill-gotten dollar he's trying to pry out around his obesity, and insert them vertically where they'll do you simply a world of good. And then, if you carefully light them, you can provide yourselves with instant, jet-assisted takeoff back to New Rochelle. In short, get the hell away from me before I dropkick you through the window of that bookstore.' - Harlan Ellison, 'The New York Review Of Bird'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Necropost?... what necropost?! pffft!

I was reading this book, this morning, when I came across this awesome passage.
From Issac Asimov's Foundation and Earth:
"
"Do you think it so easy to destroy an intelligent being?"

Trevize's lips twisted into an expression of distaste. "Come, Bliss. An intelligent being? It was just a robot."

"Just a robot?" A little passion entered her voice. "That's the argument always. Just. Just! Why should the Solarian, Bander, have hesitated to kill us? We were just human beings without transducers. Why should there be any hesitation about leaving Fallom to its fate? It was just a Solarian, and an immature specimen at that. If you start dismissing anyone or anything you want to do away with as just a this or just a that, you can destroy anything you wish. There are always categories you can find for them."
"
Here are a couple that graced my sig at one point or another.

"I thought that was what religion was. Simplification for the hard-of-thinking." ~Takeshi Kovacs
From the book "Broken Angels" by Richard K. Morgan

"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."
From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
"You'll stop worrying about what other people think of you when you realize how seldom they do." David Foster Wallace, Infinite Jest
<insert profound quote here>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Top Book Recommendations FrustratedFool 17 1038 August 15, 2023 at 11:11 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Silly Media Quotes Foxaèr 5 537 July 25, 2023 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Andy Weir's new book due out May 4th. Gawdzilla Sama 2 258 December 24, 2020 at 10:47 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
  Book banning Spongebob 39 3188 December 21, 2020 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: Spongebob
  Sci-fi/fantasy author criticizes book store for stocking dead guys Foxaèr 9 1111 April 20, 2019 at 8:18 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Favorite Book From Childhood T0 Th3 M4X 16 2009 December 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Gay bunny book outsells Pence family's bunny book Foxaèr 1 385 March 20, 2018 at 1:49 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Terry Goodkind's 'Sword of Truth' book series Foxaèr 17 2016 February 21, 2018 at 11:42 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  Favorite Scenes from Favorite Fiims chimp3 46 3482 February 10, 2018 at 6:36 am
Last Post: Athene
  First Children's Book to Teach the Big Bang to preschoolers GeorgiasTelescope 15 3672 June 24, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: vorlon13