Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 5:56 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions
I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions
There's an old saying. Only used in Austria, if I'm not mistaken.

"Ich bin Neger.", meaning "I am negro". It means to be extremely broke. To tell the truth, I never really reflected on where it came from, but quite recently, I stumbled over it's origins. It came up at the turn to the 20th century. People that were out of work, and there were many of them, used to sit in the streets. So, negro (neger) is used to say, they have ample time on their hands letting the sun shine on them and letting their skin turn brown.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
RE: I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions
Oh wow, that is racist. There are son many layers of negative implications in that, I'm not sure where to start.

1. There's the classist assumption that the poor are lazy

2. There's the implication that black people are poor and therefore lazy

3. And the colorist thinking of the darker your skin the more lazy you are

4. The problem comparing a sun tan to the natural melanin content of darker skinned people is gross and creepy
In context it probably isn't.  If it's origin has to do with sitting on your ass in the sun till you crisp....it's kind of brutal, but not racist.  Given our history here in the states, and the baggage of the terms, however.....anyone who says it probably has a pointy white hood in their closet.  Is it still used in that way, or has it, like many words...taken on a racist meaning?  

For example....in english, a racoon is an animal........but there's another use for an abbreviated form of that word nowadays............and it being racist pretty much depends on how it's used in the moment regardless of it's origins, even if the words in the sentence are exactly the same.

"Yall wanna go coon huntin?"

Either you have a redneck who likes to shoot tree rats, or again, pointy white hood in closet.  There's alot of overlap between these two types of people, ofc...lol.  Kind of ambiguous, so there are places in the south where you -really- have to roll the dice to figure out which group you've found yourself surrounded by.......it pays to ask for clarification, in my experience.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9DK6Xq3lzcb8aTqyVmnA...TI6pnKyhZF]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 2:30 pm)Rhythm Wrote: In context it probably isn't.

That's how it came to be. Being burned to a crisp on the streets. And that's also why I don't think it to be racist.

There's also another Austrian saying "Jetzt gehst Meier" (now you're Meier). I still don't know where that origins, but it plays to a very popular surname. It means, going down, going to jail or dying. Or buying a ticket for the 49er, meaning to die or threatening someone with killing. the 49er is the streetcar running to the Central Cemetary in Vienna.

Austrians have a way with vivid symbolism in their sayings that means nothing outside the country.
Reminds me of this: http://nypost.com/2013/05/23/fired-teach...ent-negro/
Maybe Meier the 1st was a bad, bad man?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 7, 2016 at 2:42 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Maybe Meier the 1st was a bad, bad man?

The name comes from the carolingian court where a Meier was sort of a house administrator. But there never was any shortage of Meiers in Austria as well as Germany. But the saying is only known in Austria.
Yep, context is everything.

The culture counts. Your countries culture maybe not. My countries culture and being an elmer, racist. I'm not sure how it would be taken if said by an african-american.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
It's not used in Germany, as far as I know.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 632 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  European Opinions Foxaèr 0 194 September 27, 2023 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  I cant help but think expiration dates in Japan are a scam Macoleco 8 745 June 20, 2022 at 11:42 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What’s a reasonable amount to give on Christmas? Apollo 3 341 December 25, 2020 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  I Beleive... I Must Be A Racist! N0RT0N 49 3098 July 25, 2020 at 1:57 am
Last Post: Cecelia
  Don't be a shrimp. Ok, be one, but...... Brian37 100 6544 May 13, 2020 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] How do you get over your past mistakes? [Please Don't judge me] GODZILLA 12 1138 June 3, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Do you have friends who don’t share your political views? Losty 13 1764 November 19, 2018 at 12:00 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  7 little things that completely give us away Foxaèr 9 1125 November 4, 2018 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Proof that I'm out of fucks to give Joods 16 1353 September 4, 2018 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: Joods