Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don't be a shrimp. Ok, be one, but......
Don't be a shrimp. Ok, be one, but......
In cooking, some people like the shells, some people like them peeled, but what is with the deveining when you do peel? The only thing I can think is "looks" or "yuck factor" for no good reason. Or you devein them because it gives it a butterfly look. Now that butterfly look, I could get. But I don't think leaving the vein in changes the taste good or bad.
RE: Don't be a shrimp. Ok, be one, but......
Shrimp guts.
It doesn't alter the taste too much in my opinion, but it is for presentation purposes.
(May 10, 2020 at 7:54 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Shrimp guts.

Yea so? So are pig intestines and liver, which I both hate. But the thing with shrimp is that the vein is so damned tiny, once it is fully cooked, I don't see how anyone could taste it. I think the deviening is more a mental thing than anything else.

I get gutting fish, but shrimp are  so small.

(May 10, 2020 at 8:26 pm)no one Wrote: It doesn't alter the taste too much in my opinion, but it is for presentation purposes.

Yea, that is kinda what I thought.

Ok guys, another one for you. And again, I could care less either way, but some food joints/major chains will argue Ford vs Chevey.

There are some pizza joints that toss the dough in the air, and other pizza joints, and I worked for one, that forbid doing that, both argue quality arguments.
(May 10, 2020 at 8:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 10, 2020 at 7:54 pm)Gawdzilla Sama Wrote: Shrimp guts.

Yea so? So are pig intestines and liver, which I both hate. But the thing with shrimp is that the vein is so damned tiny, once it is fully cooked, I don't see how anyone could taste it. I think the deviening is more a mental thing than anything else.

(May 10, 2020 at 8:26 pm)no one Wrote: It doesn't alter the taste too much in my opinion, but it is for presentation purposes.

Ok guys, another one for you. And again, I could care less either way, but some food joints/major chains will argue Ford vs Chevey.

There are some pizza joints that toss the dough in the air, and other pizza joints, and I worked for one, that forbid doing that, both argue quality arguments.

Tossing the dough in the air makes the centre proportionately thinner, which results in a somewhat more oily crust. I’m given to understand that this is more traditional and some people prefer it. 

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(May 10, 2020 at 9:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 10, 2020 at 8:32 pm)Brian37 Wrote: Yea so? So are pig intestines and liver, which I both hate. But the thing with shrimp is that the vein is so damned tiny, once it is fully cooked, I don't see how anyone could taste it. I think the deviening is more a mental thing than anything else.

Tossing the dough in the air makes the centre proportionately thinner, which results in a somewhat more oily crust. I’m given to understand that this is more traditional and some people prefer it. 

Boru

The pizza company I worked for forbid tossing it, and the reason they gave is that it caused a "'gell line", which may refer to the "oily" crust you just mentioned.. In which the crust didn't completely cook. I saw it in training, but again,  it looked cooked to me. And as many pizzas from countless places I have had, I could care less as long as it tastes good.
(May 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(May 10, 2020 at 9:02 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Tossing the dough in the air makes the centre proportionately thinner, which results in a somewhat more oily crust. I’m given to understand that this is more traditional and some people prefer it. 

Boru

The pizza company I worked for forbid tossing it, and the reason they gave is that it caused a "'gell line", which may refer to the "oily" crust you just mentioned.. In which the crust didn't completely cook. I saw it in training, but again,  it looked cooked to me. And as many pizzas from countless places I have had, I could care less as long as it tastes good.

Well, pizza never tastes good, but that's just me. Smile

It isn't so much that the bread doesn't cook, it's that it cooks unevenly. The tossing and spinning causes the dough to be thinner in the middle than round the edges, so oil from the toppings tends to pool in the centre.  But, as I said, some people prefer it that way.

Ideally, pizza dough should be made like focaccia - stretched and pressed, not flung about.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I just use a rolling pin.
But I always like to use fresh yeast, whole wheat flour and semolina to roll it round on.
Wood fire pizza oven and less is best with the ingredients and sauce.
Cheese goes on the bottom. :-)

(May 11, 2020 at 4:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(May 10, 2020 at 9:37 pm)Brian37 Wrote: The pizza company I worked for forbid tossing it, and the reason they gave is that it caused a "'gell line", which may refer to the "oily" crust you just mentioned.. In which the crust didn't completely cook. I saw it in training, but again,  it looked cooked to me. And as many pizzas from countless places I have had, I could care less as long as it tastes good.

Well, pizza never tastes good, but that's just me. Smile

Boru

Heretic!

“If you are the smartest person in the room, then you are in the wrong room.” — Confucius

(May 11, 2020 at 7:38 am)arewethereyet Wrote:
(May 11, 2020 at 4:43 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Well, pizza never tastes good, but that's just me. Smile

Boru

Heretic!

Yeah, I know.  Pizza is revolting and for saying so, I'll be condemned to an eternal punishment that'll make Sisyphus and his rock look like a Sunday brunch.

But I'm ok with that.

Boru

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  It's not that I don't like you but........ brewer 13 680 March 12, 2024 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Curious how one gets the "jerkoff" emoticon next to one's name Foxaèr 29 5229 April 17, 2018 at 9:39 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Things you're supposed to like, but don't Alex K 191 25503 September 9, 2017 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Athene
  Real world example of "I don't even know what I don't even know" ErGingerbreadMandude 24 3915 January 25, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  I don't think, this to be racist, but your give your opinions abaris 20 2783 March 7, 2016 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  One question I don't see asked enough. Brian37 15 2526 February 19, 2015 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  I Don't Know About This One..... Minimalist 7 1156 January 28, 2014 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: null--69
  I think I want to. But I don't want to. Creed of Heresy 5 1486 March 12, 2012 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: frankiej