Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:48 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live stream from 2000m depth - now -
Live stream from 2000m depth - now -
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/okeanos/me...tream.html
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

RE: Live stream from 2000m depth - now -
Fucking awesome beyond words. Megathanks for the link, Alex.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Looks pretty damn desolate. Have they said how old they think that section of floor is?
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
"I don't know this sponge".  Made me smile. Looked like a bunch of molars clustered together. Gnarly.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 10, 2016 at 9:24 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Looks pretty damn desolate. Have they said how old they think that section of floor is?

I had audio problems, but we can google the name of the place. About it being desolate, they said in their inimitable style "we observe a low productivity"
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

(March 10, 2016 at 9:24 pm)mh.brewer Wrote: Looks pretty damn desolate. Have they said how old they think that section of floor is?

I couldn't play the audio, was at work, so I didn't hear any of the commentary.

I'm not surprised it's desolate. The portion that I watched, I was actually surprised there was as much life as there was. Certainly not as much I've seen diving at <40m, but there's a lot of similarity in life forms. There was at one point something that closely resembled a brittle star, and I'd guess that they may be separately evolved from shallow water brittle stars.

I have to wonder where they get energy. Not from the sun, there weren't any thermal vents in the segment I watched, and for many species, food is what happens to sink from above or get filtered out of slowly moving water.

The water at that depth has to be frigid. It's a wonder how anything can survive in those conditions - though I freely admit that is probably a failure of my imagination.

Fascinating stuff.
Quote:It's a wonder how anything can survive in those conditions

Sort of radishes the fine-tuning argument, dunnit?  At 2000m, water pressure is about 400 000 pounds per square foot (and no, I didn't do all those tedious calculations and conversions, I looked it up).  Considering that this roughly 4000 times the pressure we experience walking along the beach, even the toughest of God's 'special creations' at the depth would be crushed to a vaguely jelly-like substance.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
(March 11, 2016 at 5:21 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
Quote:It's a wonder how anything can survive in those conditions

Sort of radishes the fine-tuning argument, dunnit?  At 2000m, water pressure is about 400 000 pounds per square foot (and no, I didn't do all those tedious calculations and conversions, I looked it up).  Considering that this roughly 4000 times the pressure we experience walking along the beach, even the toughest of God's 'special creations' at the depth would be crushed to a vaguely jelly-like substance.

Boru

Only those with air spaces that can't equalize. Big Grin. You'd use a metric asston of breathing gas - if the oxygen toxicity didn't kill you long before that.

I think there's something wrong with your second figure - 2000 meters is approximately 200 atmospheres pressure (the increase is 1 atmosphere per ten meters). Yes, it over 400,000/lb/ft2 which is ~3000psi (14.7 psi at 1/atm * 200). I think you mixed units there.
Yes, CD. It's one atmosphere every 10 meters. Once again, users of the metric system have it so much easier. We get taught that relation elementary school Smile

(March 11, 2016 at 6:07 am)Alex K Wrote: Yes, CD. It's one atmosphere every 10 meters. Once again, users of the metric system have it so much easier. We get taught that relation elementary school Smile

Yeah, I learned it in dive school, though we use imperial units. 33ft/atm. Metric is obviously easier, though I still haven't become accustomed to using metric for pressure.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "The first person to live to [200, 300, 500, 1000] has already been born" Heat 218 17434 December 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  How to live with Tourettes. Something completely different 4 1975 May 31, 2013 at 4:19 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Drugs may let us live to 150 Justtristo 30 7131 October 17, 2011 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: IATIA
  Live Forever! (Not Really) HeyItsZeus 5 2748 April 30, 2011 at 8:02 am
Last Post: Napoléon