Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Windows 7 'only' Vista tweaked?
Is Windows 7 'only' Vista tweaked?
I recently acquired a copy of Windows 7 (32 bit). I was thinking of installing it, so started looking around.

People on tech forums are saying Win 7 is only Vista with some tweaks and still pretty hopeless. That XP users will hate it and a lot of their hardware won't work with it. I've checked the driver disc which came with my Dell. It's compatible with Vista as are the drivers for my printer and camera.

I'd be most interested to learn some opinions. I'm actually quite happy with XP and don't want to change unless Win 7 is noticeably a lot better.
RE: Is Windows 7 'only' Vista tweaked?
I've had 7 for months and it is so far above Vista it isn't funny. My son, who is an IT tech hated Vista so much that he stripped it out of my wife's computer and put XP Pro in its place.
Half your drivers will stop working and a lot of programmes will not like it either. If you don't need to I'd stick with XP. If it's not broken, don't fix it Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
But Microsoft no longer supports XP.
Windows 7 is a vast improvement over Vista. As long as you computer was made in the last few years, it will be compatible with 7; if not, stick with what works.
(July 21, 2010 at 2:05 am)Minimalist Wrote: But Microsoft no longer supports XP.

Not true. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP systems that are not on SP3, and Vista without SP2.

Microsoft Wrote:We would like to make you aware of important news regarding certain versions of Windows that could affect your computers and servers. On July 13, Microsoft support—including the release of new security updates—will end for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional. It is also important to note that support for Windows Vista Release to Manufacturing (or RTM, as it is commonly referred to, which indicates the original version without any service packs installed) ended on April 13.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Is that a 'yes' or a 'no'?

My PC is a Dell, about 2 years old. As I said,the drivers I have on disc are compatible with Vista. I believe they should work with Win 7. Is that belief correct?

Specifically what drivers are most likely to stop working?

Is Windows 7 superior to XP ? Is it like say Win 98 vs XP? That's what it will need to be before I will use it overt XP.

PS: I still receive regular XP auto updates.
Padriac, there is a tool called the Windows 7 upgrade advisor http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/detai...laylang=en

This tool makes a detailed analysis of your current system and tells you what needs to be updated or changed or uninstalled to run Windows 7.

I ran this tool on my Dell PC that is close to 5 years old and is running Vista Business SP2 on 3GB of RAM and only found little driver problems with my logitech webcam that needs a driver update and I need more free harddrive space.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Windows 7, is in my professional and personal opinion, the best "groundbreaking" Windows since Win95. Yeah.

Vista was done wrong. 7 is done right.

I'm an opensource loving guy, but I know quality when I see it.

/have ultimate.
(July 21, 2010 at 4:14 am)leo-rcc Wrote:
(July 21, 2010 at 2:05 am)Minimalist Wrote: But Microsoft no longer supports XP.

Not true. Microsoft stopped supporting Windows XP systems that are not on SP3, and Vista without SP2.

Microsoft Wrote:We would like to make you aware of important news regarding certain versions of Windows that could affect your computers and servers. On July 13, Microsoft support—including the release of new security updates—will end for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows 2000 Server and Windows 2000 Professional. It is also important to note that support for Windows Vista Release to Manufacturing (or RTM, as it is commonly referred to, which indicates the original version without any service packs installed) ended on April 13.

Well...sort of.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-X...8491.shtml

Quote:XP Support - Mainstream vs. Extended

In April 2009 Microsoft will retire Mainstream support for Windows XP SP3; however, users will still be able to enjoy Extended support until April 2014. Even though the XP era ends on June 30, 2008, the death of the operating system will only come in 2014. This means that long after Windows Vista and even Windows 7, Windows XP will still be clinging to the last crumbs of market share, with customers too stubborn, or simply incapable to let go.

"Mainstream support delivers complimentary as well as paid support, free security updates and bug fixes to all Windows customers who purchase a retail copy of Windows XP (i.e. a shrink-wrapped, not pre-installed, copy). Extended support delivers free security updates to all Windows customers. Customers can also pay for support on a per-incident basis. New bug fixes require the Extended Hotfix Support program," Microsoft added.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are there any active, free, text-only chat sites that are still going? Mechaghostman2 6 622 January 4, 2021 at 3:56 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Am I the only one who hasn't reset their clocks for Daylight Savings yet? Angrboda 5 286 November 24, 2020 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  The only wine I like..... Brian37 21 1223 March 10, 2019 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Certified mensa (no womensa) geniuses only need apply. ignoramus 14 1220 December 5, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Solipsism threads should only have one post. Gawdzilla Sama 14 1340 August 11, 2018 at 11:13 am
Last Post: Joods
  The only gun anyone should ever own Foxaèr 10 1632 May 20, 2018 at 10:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  For the GUYS only here... A quick poll... Joods 102 7122 March 8, 2018 at 6:52 am
Last Post: Joods
  Am I the only one? Losty 42 5479 October 9, 2017 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Bob Kelso
  C/L, Avoid English Windows At All Costs!!! Minimalist 40 8426 September 8, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If Only The Kids Could Read and Count. Minimalist 1 882 August 26, 2017 at 7:08 am
Last Post: Little lunch