Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 10:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Nominee: Merrick Garland
Supreme Court Nominee: Merrick Garland
President Obama will announce Merrick Garland, Chief Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia, as his nominee to fill the vacancy created by Justice Scalia's passing.

Garland is a 63 year old white male often described as a centrist.  He was probably #2 in 2010 when Elena Kagan got the nomination and eventually the position. 

Garland graduated from Harvard undergrad and Harvard Law School, and was the lead investigator in the Unabomber and Oklahoma City bombing.
How will we know, when the morning comes, we are still human? - 2D

Don't worry, my friend.  If this be the end, then so shall it be.
RE: Supreme Court Nominee: Merrick Garland
Too old! He might not last more than 3 election cycles.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
This is probably the perfect pick for this particular situation. If Obama nominated someone in his 40s, they'd be able to say "he's too young." If Obama nominated someone who had only been a Circuit Court Judge for a few years, they'd be able to say "he's too inexperienced." If Obama nominated someone African American or of other non-Caucasian ethnicity, or even any woman, they'd be able to say "they're just being nominated for diversity reasons instead of on merit" (that many people would buy this argument is another thing, but, I said it's an excuse, not a good one).

With Garland, they'll only be able to say "... we don't want to."

[Image: Merrick_Garland.jpg]

Clerked for Justice Brennan in the late 70s.  Nominated to a DC Circuit position by Clinton in 1995, but not confirmed until 1997 because, as you may have guessed, the Republican-controlled senate wanted to wait for the next election.  When they got around to it, they did confirm him by a 76-23 vote.  He is essentially as middle-of-the-road as one can be, and has a history of ruling fairly and accurately.  He is a very good writer.

Judge Garland is Jewish, was born in Chicago, and graduated high school in Skokie, Illinois. No word on whether he was a member of any barbershop quartets there, though.

There is that but with Trump looking more and more like the Republican nominee (and polling well behind Hillary), I don't think we need to make compromises. Let the Republicans say no - it'll only hurt them politically. They might say yes to this guy, seeing that it will be a relatively short-term appointment, he's not a true liberal and the Democrats are probably going to keep the Whitehouse.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
Damn, a goatee and some chaps and we'd have a DILF . . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Fucking Terrible choice. I hope this is just a "Let's throw one out so they can say they denied it."
(March 16, 2016 at 10:54 am)AFTT47 Wrote: There is that but with Trump looking more and more like the Republican nominee (and polling well behind Hillary), I don't think we need to make compromises. Let the Republicans say no - it'll only hurt them politically. They might say yes to this guy, seeing that it will be a relatively short-term appointment, he's not a true liberal and the Democrats are probably going to keep the Whitehouse.

I sort of agree.  I like Garland but he is not my preferred choice.  And when I said he's the perfect choice for this vacancy, I do mean from a broader political perspective, not from a "I think he would be the perfect justice" standpoint.

(March 16, 2016 at 10:57 am)Divinity Wrote: Fucking Terrible choice.  I hope this is just a "Let's throw one out so they can say they denied it."

Problem is, they might not deny it. I certainly wouldn't if I were them.

Albert Einstein
Yeah, they might just approve it to get this guy on there. Which makes Obama look weak too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court... Rev. Rye 7 502 May 27, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 204 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 3952 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Amy Coney Barnett officially confirmed as Supreme Court Justice Rev. Rye 33 1866 October 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Expanding The Supreme Court onlinebiker 94 3746 September 30, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful zebo-the-fat 6 580 September 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Who do you want to be the Democratic nominee in 2020? CapnAwesome 71 3766 September 14, 2018 at 1:25 am
Last Post: Foxaèr
  The WLB's Next Supreme Court Pick? Minimalist 0 443 March 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3552 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  The WLB loses Another Court Fight Minimalist 0 572 May 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist