Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:00 am

Poll: Which is worse?
This poll is closed.
This decision
16.67%
1 16.67%
Overturning Roe
83.33%
5 83.33%
Blueberry Muffins
0%
0 0%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court...
Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court...
The Supreme Court Just Said That Evidence of Innocence Is Not Enough

Quote:[...]
In a 2012 case, Martinez v. Ryan, the Supreme Court ruled that a convicted defendant “is not at fault for any failure to bring a trial-ineffectiveness claim in state court”—and thus opened the door to appeals like the one brought by Jones.
On Monday the court gutted the precedent established by Martinez.
In its decision, written by Justice Clarence Thomas, the court ruled that a federal court, “may not conduct an evidentiary hearing or otherwise consider evidence beyond the state-court record based on the ineffective assistance of state postconviction counsel.” In short, a convicted defendant, like Jones, can be held responsible and kept in prison if his state-appointed lawyer provided ineffective counsel for his appeal.

https://www.vox.com/2022/5/23/23138100/s...nn-ramirez

For the record, the case in question was one where a man was convicted of a murder under a theory that makes zero sense. They got away with it because the defendant's Public Defender was incompetent. And the Supreme Court basically decided that the fact that not only did he not get a fair trial due to shitty legal representation didn't matter, they also decided the fact that the fact that the prosecution's scenario didn't matter either.

This might actually be worse than the court's apparent decision to overturn Roe v. Wade. At least that makes sense if you don't understand all the reasons why a woman would need to seek out an abortion and/or all you care about is that this means there's more babies being born. This is just horrific under any circumstances.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
RE: Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court...
Thomas' goal is to eliminate the appeal of criminal convictions and/or death sentences at the federal level. It's just nuts, but, fortunately, the majority of state courts are not as nutty as the US Supreme Court. Even scheduled executions in Texas are sometimes halted at the last moment by state courts, rarely, if ever, by SCOTUS.
When was innocence, incompetence, or corruption ever an issue for the us courts handing down sentences?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
When one is convicted, the presumption of innocence is gone and the trial record is held to be perfect. The burden of proof shifts from the state to the defendant. Getting relief, at this point, depends largely on which state you live in and your access to legal resources, assuming, of course, that you are truly innocent.

The job of the federal courts is to diminish the differences between the States. Thomas & Friends wants a return to pre-Antebellum jurisprudence. It's a dangerous judicial philosophy, one that could result in the United States splitting into two or more countries.
As god intended.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
We have our incentives all wrong. A Prosecutor's office measures its success by number of convictions, not by number of cases where justice is done. It's very sad.
"When you get the message, hang up the phone" --Alan Watts on enlightenment. Levitate
How else are they supposed to keep the for profit prisons over capacity as stipulated in their contracts?
(May 27, 2022 at 7:48 am)Jehanne Wrote: Thomas' goal is to eliminate the appeal of criminal convictions and/or death sentences at the federal level.  It's just nuts, but, fortunately, the majority of state courts are not as nutty as the US Supreme Court.  Even scheduled executions in Texas are sometimes halted at the last moment by state courts, rarely, if ever, by SCOTUS.

Thomas' goal is the murder of justice in the US legal system and the re-establishment of the volksgerichtshof.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 236 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4209 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Amy Coney Barnett officially confirmed as Supreme Court Justice Rev. Rye 33 2022 October 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Expanding The Supreme Court onlinebiker 94 4042 September 30, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful zebo-the-fat 6 602 September 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1158 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  The WLB's Next Supreme Court Pick? Minimalist 0 458 March 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3609 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  The WLB loses Another Court Fight Minimalist 0 583 May 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Shocked Republican Party looking forward to the end of the Supreme Court? Rev. Rye 18 4387 October 29, 2016 at 9:41 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye