Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful
UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful
Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament was unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.
Mr Johnson suspended - or prorogued - Parliament for five weeks earlier this month, but the court said it was wrong to stop MPs carrying out duties in the run-up to Brexit on 31 October.

Supreme Court president Lady Hale said "the effect on the fundamentals of democracy was extreme".
Downing Street said it was "currently processing the verdict".

"The decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."
Lady Hale said the unanimous decision of the 11 justices was that Parliament had not been prorogued - the decision was null and of no effect - and it was for the Speakers of the Commons and Lords to decide what to do next.
Commons Speaker John Bercow welcomed the ruling and said Parliament "must convene without delay", adding that he would now consult party leaders "as a matter of urgency".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261
The meek shall inherit the Earth, the rest of us will fly to the stars.

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

RE: UK Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful
Good on Boris, though.  He's accomplished something no one imagined was possible:  He turned out to be a worse PM than May.

And he's on his way to setting a record for being the shortest-serving PM in history (bar a few caretaker governments that don't really count).

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
He got the Queen to do something illegal, maybe he will end up chained to the wall of the Tower of London, nibbled to death by corgies!
(I would buy a ticket to see that!)

Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in mud ..... after a while you realise that the pig likes it!

(September 24, 2019 at 12:34 pm)zebo-the-fat Wrote: He got the Queen to do something illegal, maybe he will end up chained to the wall of the Tower of London, nibbled to death by corgies!
(I would buy a ticket to see that!)

Misleading HRM tends to lead to resignation.  I doubt very much that she would feed him to the corgies - she quite likes her dogs.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
It seems Boris doesn't resign as it should be proper. What an absolute rotter! He wants early elections and the opposition only accepts that if a no deal brexit gets averted.

ETA: what a clusterfuck this thing is.
On the build up to the referendum we were told there would be £300 million per week for the NHS, now they are stockpilling medicines in case of shortages following brexit. Lying, self serving scumbags!

(September 24, 2019 at 6:59 am)zebo-the-fat Wrote: Supreme Court: Suspending Parliament was unlawful, judges rule

Boris Johnson's decision to suspend Parliament was unlawful, the Supreme Court has ruled.
Mr Johnson suspended - or prorogued - Parliament for five weeks earlier this month, but the court said it was wrong to stop MPs carrying out duties in the run-up to Brexit on 31 October.

Supreme Court president Lady Hale said "the effect on the fundamentals of democracy was extreme".
Downing Street said it was "currently processing the verdict".

"The decision to advise Her Majesty to prorogue Parliament was unlawful because it had the effect of frustrating or preventing the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions without reasonable justification."
Lady Hale said the unanimous decision of the 11 justices was that Parliament had not been prorogued - the decision was null and of no effect - and it was for the Speakers of the Commons and Lords to decide what to do next.
Commons Speaker John Bercow welcomed the ruling and said Parliament "must convene without delay", adding that he would now consult party leaders "as a matter of urgency".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49810261

You know the best bit, he managed to get a unanimous verdict against him, despite at least five of the judges being sympathetic to the government position. Any defence other than "I'm Boris, I can do what I want" would likely have won him the case.

(September 24, 2019 at 10:46 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: Good on Boris, though.  He's accomplished something no one imagined was possible:  He turned out to be a worse PM than May.

'Twas easy to figure out that BoJo the Clown would be worse than the Maybot, while she was useless, at least she was a worker. BoJo is both useless and workshy.
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  So about the Voice to Parliament (Australia) GrandizerII 7 972 October 7, 2023 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Innocence is not enough for the Supreme Court... Rev. Rye 7 511 May 27, 2022 at 6:20 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Navalny’s speech from court Fake Messiah 3 235 February 5, 2021 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why you should fear Trump's pick for Supreme Court Judge Foxaèr 75 4203 October 31, 2020 at 10:52 am
Last Post: TaraJo
  Amy Coney Barnett officially confirmed as Supreme Court Justice Rev. Rye 33 2020 October 28, 2020 at 3:01 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Expanding The Supreme Court onlinebiker 94 4042 September 30, 2020 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Can You Guess Which Countries Have More "Women In Parliament" Than The USA? ReptilianPeon 7 1465 July 13, 2018 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The WLB's Next Supreme Court Pick? Minimalist 0 458 March 15, 2018 at 12:46 pm
  Supreme Court Cases (and other interesting cases) - A Thread! TheRealJoeFish 11 3606 June 2, 2017 at 11:58 am
Last Post: TheRealJoeFish
  The WLB loses Another Court Fight Minimalist 0 582 May 17, 2017 at 5:48 pm