Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 9:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poetry: Read and Listen
Poetry: Read and Listen
In this spring issue of Visions with Voices, we’ve got a poet from Australia and a couple from France, along with our American fare.

http://visionswithvoices.com/
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.
RE: Poetry: Read and Listen
The more I read and listen to poetry, the less I am fond of rhyming poetry, no, not that it isn't valid nor lack of talent, just that it is far too often painted as the only style. The first one on that link was sappy to me. But the second one "Tell Us Your Name" was awesome, outside the mentions of souls and spirits, but the message, and the meter of it was not as important to me as the message.

But again, I can only speak for myself as to what I like when it comes to poetry.
I have to agree with you there Brian.
Although rhyme is pleasant to the ear, it feels like the story has been shaped around it.
Or maybe we miss part of the message because it was unrhymable.
Here is my most recent....... post #816 hosted here at my home thread...

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/31771?page=16

Bicycle Factory, By Brian37 (AKA Brian James Rational Poet on FB and @Brianrrs37 on twitter)

John looked puzzled

On the assembly line

Consulted the manual

About the part's place

"Where does it go?"

He asked his co worker

Sarah responded

"I'll look in my manual"

"Insert bolt A

Into bar B"

John responded

"That's not what I see"

"My manual says"

Sarah cut him off

"You have the wrong one

"Mine is our boss"

"That's not right

This one says

Do it this way

Or we shall fight"

Then all the workers

Divided in unions

Picked up wreches

And threatened each other

"DO IT MY WAY"

"It says so here"

"I have the right manual

You better beware!"

The riots started

On the factory floor

Broken bones

And bloody lips

And two floors up

An empty executive office

Unoccupied

There was no boss

The bikes inconsistant

They all looked different

The workers groveled

For the boss's attention

"You're on my side

Pick my union

You gave me the right

To beat them into submission"

No quality control

The output suffered

Bikes missing spokes

Others no seats

But the different unions

Had the best virtue

Loyalty to

The one true manual

The factory floor

In stubborn crimson

The infinite riots

Would not convince them

That office is empty

It should be obvious

After all this time

The riots don't stop

He could if he wanted

Adress you all

Without the confusion

And make it clear

"Manditory meeting

At 5 pm

All the workers

Must attend"

But the CEO

Never shows up

To end the riots

Between the unions
Brian,

You got some good stuff. I was meaning to ask you if you’d like to have one or more of your poems performed for our summer issue by a professional tv/radio personality based in Chicago who happens to be on my staff.  You’ll have your own page with like and Tweet buttons like this:
http://visionswithvoices.com/facts/
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

--Voltaire

I am flattered, but I am very protective of my work and I also have other family to consider and my content is blasphemous. I can handle people coming after me, but right now I am not really ready to be fully open because of that risk.
(April 1, 2016 at 10:55 am)Brian37 Wrote: I am flattered, but I am very protective of my work and I also have other family to consider and my content is blasphemous. I can handle people coming after me, but right now I am not really ready to be fully open because of that risk.
Well, the invitation stands whenever you feel ready.

Blasphemous? How so? Although that one poet did say something about soul and spirit, this is not a religious web site, not do I choose poems with religious sensibilities in mind.

--Voltaire

(April 1, 2016 at 1:08 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote:
(April 1, 2016 at 10:55 am)Brian37 Wrote: I am flattered, but I am very protective of my work and I also have other family to consider and my content is blasphemous. I can handle people coming after me, but right now I am not really ready to be fully open because of that risk.
Well, the invitation stands whenever you feel ready.

Blasphemous? How so? Although that one poet did say something about soul and spirit, this is not a religious web site, not do I choose poems with religious sensibilities in mind.

I was talking about my poetry being blasphemous, how much of it have you read? Oh and I wasn't claiming the website you offered was religious, I was merely commenting on that one poem, I liked it.
Ok, I've seen some good poetry here lately and I felt inspired.
Here's one I whipped up in 10 min so it's not great.
Dedicated to TWD series.

Something is dripping down my face, along my neck, though this thought now is fleeting, reduced to a speck.

By the light of the moon and as the cold wind blows, I can see my prey with my eyes and my nose.

I hearing crying and it thrills me, like a spark inside my veins, there is something there I need and it's driving me insane.

Then there it is in front of me, I bite, I tear, I chew, I hold it down and crush with all my might so that it cannot move.

I let it go, it flops around, no longer do I need it, but it looks at me expectantly, as though I'm going to lead it.

So we stumble, cross the field, side by side, thoughts form inside of me.

It's nice to be under the moon in the company of my family. :-)
(April 10, 2016 at 7:20 am)Little lunch Wrote: Ok, I've seen some good poetry here lately and I felt inspired.
Here's one I whipped up in 10 min so it's not great.
Dedicated to TWD series.

Something is dripping down my face, along my neck, though this thought now is fleeting, reduced to a speck.

By the light of the moon and as the cold wind blows, I can see my prey with my eyes and my nose.

I hearing crying and it thrills me, like a spark inside my veins, there is something there I need and it's driving me insane.

Then there it is in front of me, I bite, I tear, I chew, I hold it down and crush with all my might so that it cannot move.

I let it go, it flops around, no longer do I need it, but it looks at me expectantly, as though I'm going to lead it.

So we stumble, cross the field, side by side, thoughts form inside of me.

It's nice to be under the moon in the company of my family. :-)

I like the imagery of being the predator you painted, but what is the ultimate message? I'm going to take a guess, but strength in numbers? Is that right?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AI writes poetry purplepurpose 5 897 February 4, 2023 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Michael Jackson - can you listen without feeling a bit "noncey"? Duty 7 400 December 14, 2020 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  A new poetry section was added to my site. WinterHold 24 1774 January 22, 2020 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: WinterHold
  Great Poetry Zazzy 176 29454 August 15, 2019 at 9:03 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Crap poetry Cod 13 1364 March 12, 2019 at 9:58 am
Last Post: Cod
  Poetry or Lyrics that Inpire you tackattack 7 692 December 11, 2018 at 3:56 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Poetry slam (or close enough) Mr.Obvious 17 1401 November 26, 2018 at 6:46 pm
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  Visions With Voices poetry publishes 2 more. Brian37 0 374 July 2, 2018 at 7:32 am
Last Post: Brian37
  "The Spoken Word" Poetry.... Brian37 5 835 April 2, 2018 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Question for those who read Terry Brooks' Sword of Shannara books Foxaèr 2 750 October 12, 2017 at 2:04 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr