Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 12:17 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Michael Jackson - can you listen without feeling a bit "noncey"?
Michael Jackson - can you listen without feeling a bit "noncey"?
Listened to "Dangerous" for the first time the other week - some great tracks, I say. I also own a copy of "Bad" on CD and have rinsed that much. Me? I say do not criticise the building because of the unrelated sins of the builder...and in any case, the US justice system never charged him with anything, right? Or is money a free pass in the states and that is that - even for paedophilia? How dark can we go...we shall see.
RE: Michael Jackson - can you listen without feeling a bit "noncey"?
To be fair the justice system did try very hard to convict him. Their witnesses (children) refused to testify against him. Last year, however, they came out and said he did do what he was accused of and they regretted not testifying then.

However - he's dead. So it doesn't really matter, does it?
[Image: nL4L1haz_Qo04rZMFtdpyd1OZgZf9NSnR9-7hAWT...dc2a24480e]
His music and legacy lives on. Perhaps his "victims" upon reaching adulthood decided they should try to skin mj for every dollar they could, just like their parents had, in dog eat dog neo-liberal individualistic kill kill kill USA (something of a parody, granted).
To me Michael Jackson is not a role model known for his child rearing skills but rather a musician who created great music.  You can enjoy his music and laud his talent while condemning his alleged pedophiliac side in the same breath.  But I understand people who can't do both and that's ok too.  There is no right or wrong answer. Whatever one is comfortable with.
I think I’ve mentioned here that one of my favorite films, Repulsion was made by an admitted ephebephile, a man who’s gone on record as having raped a 13-year-old. And, remarkably, it’s heavily implied that the film is about the traumas of a girl who suffered the same things he committed on a young girl IRL, and yet, it remains one of my all-time faves because, in spite of it all, the film maintains a level of empathy I rarely see in film, and if it’s not THE most vivid representation of what sexual assault can do to a person’s psyche on film now, it almost certainly was in 1965.

And MJ, bear in mind that in his case, the allegations are more ambiguous, and his music doesn’t really touch on the themes in anywhere near the same way Repulsion did.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I can’t listen to Michael Jackson without feeling I’d rather be listening to something else.  Nothing to do with the allegations against him, his music just isn’t to my taste.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
I liked him on the Simpsons.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
The glove just didn't fit.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking for country music singers similar to Alan Jackson rado84 5 611 July 31, 2023 at 10:27 am
Last Post: rado84
  Can I be Frank with you, you don't like tea. Brian37 17 930 November 18, 2020 at 10:33 pm
Last Post: no one
  Feeling A Bit Moody, and blue. Brian37 25 2211 June 17, 2020 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  Peter Jackson's Newest Project... BrianSoddingBoru4 3 567 January 24, 2018 at 5:41 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Another new little idea for a piece, now a bit more worked out Alex K 9 2249 August 24, 2017 at 8:38 pm
Last Post: Court Jester
  Michael Jackson Anon2381 38 9310 June 25, 2017 at 4:28 pm
Last Post: the desert
  You've seen it, you can't unsee it, and it'll change your perception of music forever Alex K 5 1242 April 23, 2017 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Listen up you yunggen whipper snappers! Brian37 21 2089 April 20, 2016 at 1:52 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Poetry: Read and Listen Rhondazvous 14 2005 April 10, 2016 at 7:59 am
Last Post: Little lunch
  Song Lyrics You Like Without the Music Edwardo Piet 19 3289 November 21, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus