Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Obscure excellent comedy
Obscure excellent comedy
I found out about this show called "Hippies", starring (a very young) Simon Pegg, by accident. It happened to be sitting on the shelf of at my friend's house. I'd never heard of it before! It's poking fun at the 60s, with a bunch of ridiculous situations such as organising a protest at a sandpaper convention.

It only ran one series of 6 episodes, but I thoroughly recommend seeking it out, for anyone who likes a bit of slapstick humour. I'm watching it through again right now!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
RE: Obscure excellent comedy
Ooh looks like it might all be on YouTube! Cool.

http://youtu.be/ePswTwzv1uI
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
I love this kind of comedy. Never actually heard of this one, I'll have to give it a look.

On the subject of obscure comedies, ever heard of an early 90s Channel 4 one called Nightingales? It starred Robert Lindsay, David Threlfall and James Ellis as three bored security guards working the night shift in an unidentified office block. The show was kind of reminiscent of early Red Dwarf, only far more claustrophobic and surreal; episodes featured a werewolf named Eric, a fourth guard whose corpse they kept around so they could claim his wages, and a new guard, Terence the gorilla. Even the obligatory seasonal episode had Mary, the Christmas Allegory, who gave birth to consumer products (as wikipedia puts it). It only ran for two series and thirteen episodes, some of which are on youtube and Dailymotion, though it has been released on DVD.

Here's a typical episode, from the second series:

At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
No, not heard of that! Cheers, I'll check it out Smile

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Steve Martin Comedy vs. Religious Reality AFTT47 1 440 February 9, 2018 at 6:56 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Why Did Dante Title His Work The Divine Comedy? Rhondazvous 10 3194 August 30, 2017 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Really Strange and Funny Comedy Sketch Edwardo Piet 0 697 November 12, 2015 at 11:24 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Anybody else think South Park is kicking a dead horse on comedy lately Rinnard 7 1882 January 14, 2014 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: _xenu_
  Every Romantic Comedy Ever DeistPaladin 3 2394 April 16, 2013 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Fruity
  Comedy rap song about pope Brian37 5 2169 February 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Atheist/Agnostic Comedy tshirts mangakid 6 2371 August 10, 2009 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: mangakid