Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Observations On Atheism Part III - The Political And Social
Observations On Atheism Part III - The Political And Social
From a practical standpoint I can relate most comfortably with the position of the militant atheist being more about political and social disagreement than about God or the Bible. For me, as a former atheist (or non-religious if you like) that was the reason I had for a deep hatred for Xianity.

I grew up in a small town in the Bible belt and was surrounded by hypocritical narrow minded Xians who looked down on everyone who wasn't like them. Specifically those who were not Xians. Since even before my Jehovah's Witness influenced Bible study I have been apolitical. I saw politics as even more of a powerful force which brought primarily destruction, division and hypocrisy, but the social aspect of being the minority in a sea of hypocrisy founded upon myth and fables can be an unbearable thing to endure.

The political aspect is equally important to the majority of militant atheists, because they tend to be, political in nature. Politics has been a strange bedfellow with loathsome religion to all too obvious harmful effect for far too long, but this is, unfortunately in my opinion, not likely to change for the better any time soon.

The reason for this is that the majority of people, though almost completely ignorant of the Bible, feel some sort of moral, cultural and traditional connection with Xianity. Simply put atheists are outnumbered. The fact that that is the nature of the political game itself and the history of politic forces throughout history giving organized religion their destructive abilities leaves me wondering why atheist don’t find it in their power to more effectively organize and counter this force, but it is an apparent reality that though truthfully most people don’t believe in God, there is that traditional / cultural connection.

To me it is obvious that a huge help for the atheists to educate themselves on the truths compared to the myths of modern day Xianity, if not to have a more informed contradictory position but also in order to provide as much protection in the future against the same destructive power of the past, but unfortunately I have found that there is one more aspect of Atheism that is even more important than the political / social one. I will address this in my next and final post in this series.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3801 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Christian and Atheism Worldwide Demographics: Current Realities and Future Trends. Nishant Xavier 55 2739 July 9, 2023 at 6:07 am
Last Post: no one
Lightbulb POLL: As an Atheist, What Do You View as Being the Most Rational Political Outlook? Engel 124 35348 June 1, 2022 at 2:19 pm
Last Post: Simon Moon
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1740 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  Philosophical Failures of Christian Apologetics, Part 11: The Holy Spirit Cepheus Ace 18 2984 June 22, 2020 at 7:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 7022 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Isn't Atheism anti Christian than anti religious? Western part atleast Kibbi 14 3502 October 5, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Why Atheism/Secular Humanism... Part II TheReal 53 25942 April 23, 2018 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: Mystic
  Social void & questions rskovride 3 1256 March 7, 2018 at 11:24 pm
Last Post: rskovride
  Best part of atheism for you Alexmahone 43 6367 January 9, 2018 at 10:34 am
Last Post: DodosAreDead