Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 9:35 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social void & questions
Social void & questions
This thread is intended for discussion but I also happen to be experiencing this situation, if it were to affect your comment.

Some may disagree, but I think its hard to deny the social ‘benefits’ of religion or that the functional perspective of religion is accurate. So, I have a couple questions for those who have experienced or have experience related to the social void that comes with no longer being involved in a religion. 

What have you done or are currently doing to refill this void and how has it affected your well-being? 

What is an ideal solution that does not yet exist, if any?

Also, if you do not agree with or think there is a better question, given the situation, what question(s) would you ask?
RE: Social void & questions
(March 7, 2018 at 8:39 pm)rskovride Wrote: This thread is intended for discussion but I also happen to be experiencing this situation, if it were to affect your comment.

Some may disagree, but I think its hard to deny the social ‘benefits’ of religion or that the functional perspective of religion is accurate. So, I have a couple questions for those who have experienced or have experience related to the social void that comes with no longer being involved in a religion. 

What have you done or are currently doing to refill this void and how has it affected your well-being? 

Also, if you do not agree with or think there is a better question, given the situation, what question(s) would you ask?

I have never voluntarily belonged to a church. I am 58 and left the Catholic Church at 13 without shedding a tear. I did join a Sufi order when in my early 20's but was not really involved in any group activities for long. I have lived a rich life and have met many great people.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

(March 7, 2018 at 8:39 pm)rskovride Wrote: This thread is intended for discussion but I also happen to be experiencing this situation, if it were to affect your comment.

Was your church your social life?  Because for many Christians it is.  If you need that kind of a group I suggest getting active in a club that appeals to your interests. Don't just join, volunteer your time.  Get to know people.

It could be anything from auto restoration, to knitting, gardening.  Consider volunteer positions that lead to social interactions like Habitat For Humanity.  The bottom line is that the church isn't the only social group available.
If there is a god, I want to believe that there is a god.  If there is not a god, I want to believe that there is no god.
(March 7, 2018 at 9:13 pm)Jenny A Wrote:
(March 7, 2018 at 8:39 pm)rskovride Wrote:

Was your church your social life?  Because for many Christians it is.  If you need that kind of a group I suggest getting active in a club that appeals to your interests. Don't just join, volunteer your time.  Get to know people.

It could be anything from auto restoration, to knitting, gardening.  Consider volunteer positions that lead to social interactions like Habitat For Humanity.  The bottom line is that the church isn't the only social group available.

For a period of about two years yes, my church was my social life. I left that and moved about 3 months ago. My life before was much worse, including about a decade of drug abuse and everything that came with it... So, I don't really have anything to fall back on or revert back to.  I moved to a very rural area for work and there are 3 churches within five miles and the closest group of like minded people (atheists, humanists, rationalists) are an hour drive and that seems to be a problem not just for me but for our society if we are ever going to grow out of religion.

I have heard ideas about the social aspect of religion not having any secular parallels that are easily accessible and we as a society will not see significant movement away from religion until there is such groups or communities.  For example, the unitarian universalist church is part of the way there. They do not have a religious creed but still offer social capital similar to religious churches. What is the next step?  This is more the question I wanted to explore.

Personally, I have joined a couple of secular groups and have a support community in recovery but it feels much weaker.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sexual Abuse in Social Context: Clergy and other (Secular) Professionals. Nishant Xavier 61 3641 July 16, 2023 at 1:54 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  We atheists now have our own social network rado84 16 1684 August 12, 2021 at 7:51 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
Information [Serious] How many reasonable solutions are there to any particular social issue? Prof.Lunaphiles 69 6885 April 11, 2020 at 8:55 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The acts of Virtues derive from a Soul or social obligation? CristW 6 2358 September 11, 2015 at 3:06 pm
Last Post: CristW
  Social Contracts Exian 6 1826 July 11, 2015 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Redbeard The Pink
  The new Social Media frontier for Atheists! The Atheist Corner 16 2915 December 9, 2014 at 8:08 am
Last Post: ManMachine
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 28777 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0
  If Social Darwinism is good, then why does this guy look so unhappy Reymonad 7 1538 November 25, 2013 at 11:20 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Never been to social atheist events. What to expect? TaraJo 6 3284 July 4, 2013 at 5:18 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Social Darwinism: Right or Wrong Reasonable_Jeff 119 39316 November 26, 2012 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Whateverist