Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 9:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am sure it isn't just me........
My mom is awesome, takes care of me, pays my bills, and way beyond that is how much we have grown closer in recent years. She has changed so much since I was a kid, and she accepts me far more the way I am now than when she was raising me. She doesn't worry about me being silly in public and we have some really awesome inside jokes and even our favorite songs and favorite places to eat. She loves listening to my online arguments, not that she agrees with me, but in that she wants to hear how I respond to those arguments. 

I really consider myself lucky. I love her more than anything else. But if anyone is a fan of Big Bang Theory, we are literally Howard and his mom. We've always had our fights, and really mostly over small stuff, both of us are stubborn. The great thing is that we don't hold grudges and tomorrow is another day. We are the "Odd Couple" as far as personalities, but we both love each other no matter what.

But when she argues over her health it is really hard for me to know when to step in or step aside. I don't like arguing with her over it, I'd rather only have arguments over the mundane things, but I do worry about her when she is not yelling at me over small stuff, but I also worry infinitely more when she ignores the big stuff. 

Now she will be having another surgery soon, and while I love her independence, she also has a tendency to want to do things far too much on her own while trying to recover. I love that she has that drive, and it does motivate her, but her stubbornness gets her to take things too quickly. 

It's frustrating because I'd rather have someone else tell her what to do because we are stuck in that parent child roll, and she's old school and the child isn't supposed to tell the parent what to do. I really would rather have her yelling at me because I didn't put something back in the right place, but I really get frustrated with her when she insists on pushing herself beyond her means when she is trying to recover.
I think most moms have a thing about not coming across as "weak" or vulnerable in front of their children...no matter how old their kids are. As parents we feel it's our responsibility to be pillars of strength for our kids. Do you have any other family members who you could discuss your concerns with? Maybe she would be willing to consider the message if it was coming from someone else?
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
RE: I am sure it isn't just me........
(April 9, 2016 at 9:34 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: I think most moms have a thing about not coming across as "weak" or vulnerable in front of their children...no matter how old their kids are.  As parents we feel it's our responsibility to be pillars of strength for our kids.  Do you have any other family members who you could discuss your concerns with?  Maybe she would be willing to consider the message if it was coming from someone else?  

I am all she has. I love doing things for her, and she is in assisted living. But when it comes to recovering she has a horrible tendency to want to rush things. She hates hospitals and I don't blame her, but it is really hard for me get her to slow down. 

One thing she is doing right now, even in her right mind that is bugging the crap out of me, is she no longer wears her panic pendent around her neck, she keeps it in the bag hanging off the side of her electric chair. She keeps swearing to me she can get to it if she needs, but I cant convince her that may not be the best thing for her to do just in case she cant reach it when she isn't siting in the chair. I think she does that because either it rubs her skin or she is afraid of setting it off by mistake, but she won't tell me why. 

I agree, she really does better sometimes when someone else is telling her the same thing. It isn't that she never listens to me. Crap, on the way up to Duke and the way back we got lost, which is why we leave way ahead of time, and to her credit on the way up, she told me to make a turn what was wrong, and it added 25 minutes to the trip trying to correct it and she admitted "oops". And for my mom to admit a mistake to me is a big deal for her, but when it comes to her health she's much more stubborn.

I worry less about her when she is feeling well and not recovering from surgery, but really makes me worry when she is going through those things.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why isn’t weed legal everywhere? Fake Messiah 6 513 July 24, 2022 at 1:47 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Recipe: Not Sure Where to Put This ABQ505 2 290 December 10, 2021 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: ABQ505
  Fist bumping isn't better for germaphobes Foxaèr 17 2652 September 12, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  Your chance to see Melania standing next to a horse's ass...that isn't named Trump arewethereyet 8 678 November 24, 2020 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Maybe Vaping isn't a great idea. onlinebiker 9 1136 September 1, 2019 at 10:18 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Why isn't there a fight against unhealthy food like is for drugs? NuclearEnergy 22 5369 May 25, 2017 at 4:45 pm
Last Post: Isis
  Can I Just Say and I'm just being honest (Holiday Edition) Mystical 9 2137 November 25, 2016 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  No Sure Where To Post This Rahul 18 4848 June 8, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Last Post: little_monkey
  If religion is fairy tale and isn't something to be even taken seriously, then... purplepurpose 30 11040 May 2, 2013 at 7:33 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Life isn't about how smart you are jstrodel 34 7638 March 6, 2013 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Angrboda