Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 1, 2024, 8:15 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why all god claims fail.
Why all god claims fail.
Not only are they projections of human desires, there is no way to postulate "eternity" with an infinite cognition as the starting point. You cannot claim everything has a cause then ignore the implication that your "super cause" has to have a cause itself.

"Eternity" is only plausible as an up and down cycle without a cognition. Much like a light switch goes from off to on back to off. As soon as you postulate a super hero as the cause of that cycle, then it begs the question as to what caused that super hero, and what caused that super hero and so on. The problem is called "infinite regress".
RE: Why all god claims fail.
But, but, special pleading please!
Give the theists something to hook onto.

If our souls are not eternal, what's the point of living?

(I forgot! Fragile egos)
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
BECAUSE JESUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

Damn, my avatar was hellishly fantastic before, and now that I have the animation working, it fucking ROCKS !!!

Praise Jebus !!!
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

It sure was! (Remind us what you had before?) Hehe
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Thanks Brian but I think most of us have already figuredl that out. More appropriate for a new atheist forum.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein
(April 13, 2016 at 2:42 am)AFTT47 Wrote: Thanks Brian but I think most of us have already figuredl that out. More appropriate for a new atheist forum.

Why does everyone assume this is written for the vets?
All the God claims fail to entice me, regardless of their truth. They just happen to be really stupid as well. Even if they weren't, I'm not looking for giant asses to kiss.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
Speaking for yourself, of course . . . .

(April 12, 2016 at 9:23 pm)Brian37 Wrote: As soon as you postulate a super hero as the cause of that cycle, then it begs the question as to what caused that super hero, and what caused that super hero and so on. The problem is called "infinite regress".

So what then is your solution to the infinite regress?

This problem of infinite applies only to any sequence in which potential posterior causes necessarily depend on actual prior causes. The dependency of the posterior on the prior is what distinguishes an accidentally order sequence from an essentially ordered one. The solution to an infinite regress in an essentially ordered sequence is having a fully actualized initial member to the series, a first cause, that is not contingent upon any other. In your words, that would be a "super hero" the greater than which cannot be conceived.

However, if you believe all causal chains are accidental sequences, then of course, a world of non-contingent causes could extend into the infinite past without contradiction. This position comes at great cost. Such a world would be absurd since there would be no reason for posterior causes to follow prior causes. You can assert that they do as a "brute fact" but that is the opposite of supplying a reason. It's a simple choice based on blind faith about in what type of world you believe we live.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why you all need others, to believe? LastPoet 24 3871 December 26, 2019 at 10:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why do some believers claim that all religions are just as good? Der/die AtheistIn 22 3752 June 25, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: Succubus
  Why you should distrust all religions. Jehanne 57 11134 January 9, 2018 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8682 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  If God created all the good things around us then it means he created all EVIL too ErGingerbreadMandude 112 20971 March 3, 2017 at 9:53 am
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  ★★ We are all atheists/atheistic to ALL Gods (says simple science) ProgrammingGodJordan 80 13037 January 13, 2017 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: ProgrammingGodJordan
  Why I think atheists should not reject all religious text. boothj1985 65 15435 December 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm
Last Post: Nope
  God is love. God is just. God is merciful. Chad32 62 19487 October 21, 2014 at 9:55 am
Last Post: Cheerful Charlie
  Theists: What makes your claims right and the claims of other theists wrong? Ryantology 29 8190 March 21, 2014 at 9:59 am
Last Post: Phatt Matt s
  Bill Nye Found Dead. Suspect apprehended claims "God made me do it" Gooders1002 30 6579 February 24, 2014 at 4:46 am
Last Post: Mudhammam