Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 24, 2024, 8:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intelligence.
Intelligence.
I've been interested in the difference between individuals for quite a while and I have a simple question: Do you think that intelligence/IQ is determined mostly by genetics? And do you believe it's fixed or malleable?
RE: Intelligence.
I never believed that IQ necessarily covered all aspects of intelligence, but then I don't know much about it either. I do recall taking different IQ tests over the years and getting very different results each time. For example when I was fourteen or so I took one and got somewhere around 142, and on another one a few years later I got something like 120. So aside from the fact that I don't even know what they measure precisely, I'm not even sure how reliable they are. It also depends on the mood you're in when you take them, I suppose - whether you're really going to focus or not.

Intelligence is both determined by genetics and maleable. Some people are naturally smarter than others in some areas but if they don't do anything with it someone who is weaker by nature in those same areas can train to be a far better expert than the other one.
(April 18, 2016 at 1:39 pm)RozKek Wrote: I've been interested in the difference between individuals for quite a while and I have a simple question: Do you think that intelligence/IQ is determined mostly by genetics? And do you believe it's fixed or malleable?

It's definitely mostly determined by genetics.  But I'm sure it's basically been proven that it's also malleable aswell.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

Intelligence is not synonymous of IQ.
I made a thread about this earlier, feel free to give it a read.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-42034.html
If someone eats lead and mercury from a young age I'm pretty sure that affects his or her intelligence.
(April 18, 2016 at 1:43 pm)Excited Penguin Wrote: I never believed that IQ necessarily covered all aspects of intelligence, but then I don't know much about it either. I do recall taking different IQ tests over the years and getting very different results each time. For example when I was fourteen or so I took one and got somewhere around 142, and on another one a few years later I got something like 120. So aside from the fact that I don't even know what they measure precisely, I'm not even sure how reliable they are. It also depends on the mood you're in when you take them, I suppose - whether you're really going to focus or not.

Intelligence is both determined by genetics and maleable. Some people are naturally smarter than others in some areas but if they don't do anything with it someone who is weaker by nature in those same areas can train to be a far better expert than the other one.

Did you take internet IQ tests? They aren't real :p
(April 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: If someone eats lead and mercury from a young age I'm pretty sure that affects his or her intelligence.

???????????
(April 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm)RozKek Wrote:
(April 18, 2016 at 1:57 pm)ChadWooters Wrote: If someone eats lead and mercury from a young age I'm pretty sure that affects his or her intelligence.

???????????

Meaning intelligence can change for reasons other than genetics.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(April 18, 2016 at 1:48 pm)pool the great Wrote: Intelligence is not synonymous of IQ.
I made a thread about this earlier, feel free to give it a read.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-42034.html

Too long didn't read (not now at least). Not trying to be rude fyi. But can you give me a summary on your stance on intelligence then? With intelligence I mean problem solving, pattern finding, creativity and similiars.
(April 18, 2016 at 2:04 pm)paulpablo Wrote:
(April 18, 2016 at 2:03 pm)RozKek Wrote: ???????????

Meaning intelligence can change for reasons other than genetics.

Oh. I should stop eating mercury and lead. Too dumb to understand rn Tongue. Sorry Chad.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Correlations between Intelligence & Interest Azu 6 1254 May 8, 2017 at 11:32 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2161 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Relation Between Memory and Intelligence? Rhondazvous 13 3525 December 15, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Intelligence of Crows A Theist 10 2885 November 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Ashendant
  Our cousins take another smalls step in the Evolution of Intelligence! theVOID 10 5402 January 5, 2010 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet