Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 11:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correlations between Intelligence & Interest
Correlations between Intelligence & Interest
I would like to know if there is a correlation between someone's intelligence and how interesting something is, no matter how superficial, simplistic, complex or intriguing is.

For example is either or none of the following statements true?

1. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person finds it a lot more interesting, complex and intriguing than a less intelligent person would find.

2. Concerning the same object, subject matter or lifestyle, a more intelligent person than otherwise has 'intellectually outgrown' it enough to find it so boring, mundane, repetitive and dull such that they need to change it.
RE: Correlations between Intelligence & Interest
I don't think there's a correlation. I've known a dolt and a legitimate genius who both collected stamps. Each of them pursued the hobby with a single-minded fanaticism that would make a militant vegan gulp with disbelief.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
Not necessarily a connection.  Example: autism and object fascination.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Have to agree with the responses already given.  Intelligence does not compel anyone to find everything fascinating, let alone equally and eternally fascinating.  You might get a glimpse into a person's intelligence from themes within a subject which interest him.  But all you find out by noting which subjects interest him is his particular tastes.
There might be a correlation between complexity of a subject of fascination and intelligence.
I'm not anti-Christian. I'm anti-stupid.
Can't help but wondering what correlation the OP has found between interest in matters relating to God and intelligence.
(May 8, 2017 at 3:40 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I don't think there's a correlation.  I've known a dolt and a legitimate genius who both collected stamps.  Each of them pursued the hobby with a single-minded fanaticism that would make a militant vegan gulp with disbelief.

Boru

Which is typical of people with Asperger's. Special interests and all.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Serious] Link between brain damage and religious fundamentalism established Fake Messiah 9 994 November 18, 2019 at 12:14 am
Last Post: John 6IX Breezy
  The connection between religion and neuropsychological processes in the human brain Aroura 9 2256 March 10, 2017 at 10:57 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Intelligence. RozKek 47 4351 April 20, 2016 at 1:17 am
Last Post: robvalue
  An Evolutionary Connection Between Plants and Animals? Rhondazvous 2 1023 February 18, 2016 at 9:05 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Intelligence, Consciousness and Soul, oh my; Sy Montgomery's "The Soul of an Octopus" Whateverist 11 2163 February 2, 2016 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Relation Between Memory and Intelligence? Rhondazvous 13 3525 December 15, 2015 at 11:30 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Anyone knows the difference between BD Depressive epidode with pshychosis and Schizoaffective disorder? Meylis Delano Lawrence 5 1859 February 16, 2013 at 6:07 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  difference between Micro and macro evolution Gooders1002 21 8919 May 19, 2012 at 12:27 am
Last Post: Polaris
  The Intelligence of Crows A Theist 10 2886 November 6, 2010 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Ashendant
  Our cousins take another smalls step in the Evolution of Intelligence! theVOID 10 5405 January 5, 2010 at 11:08 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet